Thread: Receiver as an Amplifier

Xtreme Member

Receiver as an Amplifier

Reaching out for some advice now. Looking into a pair of Sennheiser PC360. I have been offered a great deal on these; roughly $160. My issue is that I am running a Rampage 3 Gene with crossfire. So, I have no room for a good sound card. What would be the most efficient way to get good power to these? I would like to utilize a spare AV receiver of mine. I have a Yamaha V363 that is sitting around not doing anything. Would this receiver provide enough power, or should I still look into a separate amplifier.

On a side note, how do the PC360's hold up against other headphone only units? Especially Denon's. I have access to these at a good price too.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's no reason why you can't (just be sure to turn the volume way down) but the headphone amplifier in an AV receiver is generally pretty cheap (think resistor off the speaker output) and definitely won't give you the most out of your cans.

The PC360s use the same drivers as the HD595s and while no means horrible unamped definitely improve upon pairing with a good amp. Instead, I'd recommend AD700s (assuming gaming purposes?) which can be had for under a $100 on amazon at the moment and sound pretty darn good unamped (wicked soundstage if a little bass light). An absolute steal. Sure there's not a microphone attached, but a Zalman clip-on does a perfectly adequate job and there's even a few microphone mods floating around for the AD700s.
    Last edited by .Logic; 05-05-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    While it would work, as .Logic said, the amplifier section is generally pretty low end and the headphone section is even lower end. Not really a good choice. The best you can probably do for $200 and under would be this:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphon...12/NFB12EN.htm

That would get you a high quality "neutral" sound, meaning it doesnt necessarily emphasize and specific frequencies and tries to reproduce the sound as accurate as possible, as well as would provide you with lots of power for any headphones you ever use. Now if you dont want to spend the money on something or cant afford it, you can always use your receiver. A receiver would provide adequate sound and levels, just not great sound and levels.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I was looking into a pair of Deanon ADH5000 and Sparrow, but was finding it difficult to justify spending $600 on the headphone and amp. I don't mind putting out some money for a pair. I have a pair of Shure e5's that have served me extremely well for nearly 6 years now.

After looking at the Denon's, I came across that PC360's and discovered out price on them. I have been unable to find any other headsets that can compare with these since they are only $160. Was also looking at a pair of HD650, but that would put me spending $500, which is honestly more than I think I need to spend. I love clear, high quality sound but not sure I can justify that much.

From what research I was able to track down on the new 360's, an amp is rarely used. I think this is more because audiophiles would not be using these, not because they do not benefit from one.

Any input and or advice regarding these 360's? Are there other units out there at price around $160 that could even compare with these? BTW the mike is a bonus, but not a necessity. Do you think these would see any benefit from an amp?

Xtreme Addict
    I have the PC350's, I dont think they *need* an amp. These headphones do not have very high impedance, thus can get enough power from good sound cards. The bigger thing than enough volume is good sound.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for all the help everyone.