Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Martin's Koolance RP-402X2 Review (Working Thread )

Xtreme X.I.P.
    And here is a quick informal bench noise test of the 452 series. I controlled voltage on the PMP-450S to match that of the PMP-450 and simulate dual PMP-450 pumps. Very short video, showing one pump vs two pumps vs GT15 fan vs combined.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1Eh3LTszU

Approximate results chart:

Very minor differences at this ambient noise level and hard to perceive. The video does a pretty good job of giving you the sound quality differences though. Overall, the GT15 fan was a bit more noticeable than one or two pumps. With all together it was really hard to tell the difference between one or two pumps running. I would recommend the RP-452x2 with PMP-450 pumps for those very sensitive to noise, as it provides you easy flexibility in obtaining lower noise levels if desired. You could also run both pumps in series at half the speed. Lots of options here..

I think that pretty well completes the performance to do list for now, let me know if you want to see something else performance wise. I'll work on getting some taken apart type pictures and doing some other pump tests..
    Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Very cool res. If I were building a rig right now, this is what I'd use for sure.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuTnicK View Post
    Hey Martin, when you are done testing rx-402x2, can you try to disassemble it as much as possible?
    For example, to remove that faceplate to give the inner look of the reservoir with and without pumps installed. I think this would be helpful for some modders ready to get their hand on it as well as plain users.
    Here are those shots you were looking for..

It was pretty easy to take apart, just the 7 allen head bolts...less difficult than taking apart your average waterblock.

The baffle plates come out via screws as well, so you could always opt to remove those if you wanted to or didn't need one for running series, etc. There is a little something of a grease like substance around the o-rings which I presume is there to help hold them in place while installing them.

Also the back side of the black reinforcing bezel is also black, so you could probably polish the areas around the LED for some extra reflection effort there or insert a thin layer of aluminum foil to provide the reflectivity...some options to play with.

The acrylic piece is also a fairly basic shape with screw holes and two holes for the front fill ports. It would be really easy to make one yourself with basic modding tools. I could see people using colored acrylic and making one of there own style easy enough. You would just have to find the same thickness 6mm or 1/4" would work. I could also see it being easy enough to drill out the LED sockets to accept 5mm..

Anyhow, hope this helps...

That completes my to do's...
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-13-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Looks so different without the black faceplate, think I'll stick to using the default plates, kinda looks ugly with the acrylic face hehe

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Here are those shots you were looking for..
    ...snip...

That completes my to do's...
    Thanks so much
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FYI,
    Going to spend some time completing my missing series pump tests on the 452. I did the one mixed pump test, but I wanted to get like pumps together as well. Pumps are in and time for testing...

Let me know if you want anything specific tested..

For now I figured on Series Tests for:

PMP-450S (D5 Strong) 10.5V, 12V, 14V, 16V, 18V, 20V

PMP-450 (D5 Vario) (12V) Settings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. (24V) Setting 5

Cheers!
    Martin

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Martin,
    Could the plugs on the top be replaced with barbs?
    Yes, they are G1/4 threaded. I used barbs that way to fill up the loop using a piece of tubing and a funnel. You could also plumb fill-port lines from the top if you had room for that.

Xtreme Guru
    So running two pumps @ 12 v instead of 1 at 24v yields better results and less power consumption, Martin could you test 2x DDC's with a restrictive loop, preferably 2x 35x's? , Would really like to see the comparison between the two kind of pumps seeming as the two d5's run at about 1.3gpm..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Hah! I was thinking of something more unconventional, which is flipping the res upside down, moving one of the fill plugs to the back inlet, put a barb where the plug once was and using that for the loop return.
    Haven't thought of that, but it might work...

Xtreme Guru
    Cant wait for the 450's, i meant the PMP-400 (DDC 3.25) wonder how they compare with a resrictive loop.. I dont think the 2x d5's would be worth the extra cost for such a tiny loss in heat.. still extraodinary testing martin

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks!

I completed the RP-452X2/PMP-450 runs:

Performance PQ RP-452X2 + PMP-450 + PMP-450 Series

Overall, without a doubt the noiseless enthusiast dream. I really like this setup, it scales so well with noise and power needs. You can easily dial it down to ultra slow speeds and up to intense pumping power that can easily surpass the 1GPM barrier on any system. It's also amazing how quiet the setup is, I've got some videos for you, but at Setting 3 to 4 it has more than enough power for average systems and practically inaudible (Less than 1dbA raise in noise level)....just awesome for ultra low noise..

Setting 1 -(+.4dbA over 41dbA abmient) For Ultra Low Restriction. A bit low in power for my taste, but it could net you around .75GPM with a very low restriction setup.

Setting 2 -(+.5dbA over 41dbA abmient) For Average/Low to Low Restriction. Another ultra silent setting with a good amount of power for Average/Low to Low Restriction. A low restriction single block loop would see around 1.2GPM which exceeds the desirable 1GPM rule of thumb. But if your emphasis is low noise, you could also do well with this setting on an average restriction loop. (Low restriction CPU block plus 1-2 GPU blocks).

Setting 3 -(+.6dbA over 41dbA abmient) For Average to Low Restriction. This would be my personal favorite, it has an exceptional noise/pumping power ratio and will have plenty of power for a little above Average to Low restriction loops. A low restriction loop would see around 1.5GPM, and an average restriction loop around 1.1GPM.

Setting 4 -(+.8dbA over 41dbA abmient) For High to Average Restriction. A low restriction loop would see around 1.8GPM, Average about 1.3GPM, and High around 1-1.1GPM. This is a fairly strong amount of pumping power good for your higher restriction 3-4block type systems. Noise level is still very good, but just slightly more audible over setting 3.

Setting 5 -(+1.5dbA over 41dbA abmient) For Very High to Average Restriction. An average restriction loop would see around 1.6GPM with this setup and even the most restrictive 5+ block loops will see 1.1-1.2GPM which is very healthy. I simply can not see where this isn't enough pumping power.

And here is the family of curves for easy setting comparisons:

I'll get that video processed next.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-21-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you for all the work Martin! As usual, another informative review.
    /_/_/_ | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2 x ATI 4850 Crossfire Enabled | WD Velociraptor 300GB | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair HX1000W | Antec P182 | _\_\_\

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks heaps martin, really diggin setting 4, only 2db more but yields .800 more gpm..

Edit: sorry was wrong, setting 3 seems the best performance ratio when you look at the average db/flow..

Xtreme Member
    You're the man Martin. Outstanding as always,
    CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Gigabyte P45-UD3P | Q9550 @ 4GHz 1.30v | 2x2GB G.Skill 8500 | Gigabyte 6950 Flashed to 6970 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Seasonic x-750

Loop 1:Laning DDC3.2 XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ & MCR 320

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks!
    Sorry for the mess of information, just so many options between both reservoirs and vaious pumpsthat could be used.
    If you have any questions..don't hesitate to ask.

Xtreme Guru
    Martin: for two of those D5 Strong babies on RP-452X2 you might like this new product by Koolance - dual 24V one-5.25bay controller.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234