Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z68X-UD7 Review - Physical (Touch BIOS, VRM, Goodies!)

I am Xtreme

Z68X-UD7 Review - Physical (Touch BIOS, VRM, Goodies!)

Z68X-UD7-B3 Review-Physical

This is a quick physical review of GIGABYTE’s new flagship Z68 motherboard, I would like to state that Z68 offers a few advantages over its P67 and H67 counterparts. I have kind of changed up my review style here, offering more pictures and more descriptive pictures. To begin with Z68 is supposed to be H67 + P67 + SSD Caching and Intel’s Smart Response Technology bundled into one chipset. Today we are going to take a quick look at the Z68X-UD7-B3 as well as a quick look at GIGABYTE's highly anticipated Touch BIOS! The Z68X-UD7-B3 is very similar to the P67A-UD7-B3, with some slight changes in terms of accessories, BIOS, and of course chipset and features.

I also got some other goodies in this past week including a really nice set of Kingston DDR3 1600mhz RAM, GIGABYTE AIVIA K8100 Gaming keyboard, and GIGABYTE GHOST MX8000 gaming mouse. So I will try and show you some pics of these really cool products!

Let’s start out with the boxing and accessories for the UD7.

As you can see we finally have black SATA6G cables, which the P67A-UD7-B3 also has but the B2 variant doesn’t.

This has to be the most anticipated part of the whole accessory set, the USB 3.0 front panel bracket. You can’t hook up a USB 2.0 bracket to a USB 3.0 port and expect it to run at USB 3.0 speeds.

Notice the black SLI bracket, it’s pretty cool.

The socket is pretty much the same as the P67A-UD7-B3, to be honest the whole board pretty much is the same other than the Z68 SSD Caching and the Z68 chipset. Going over aspects of the actual ICs and trace layout I was taken aback by how familiar is all looks. It’s kind of like landing on the moon and being amazed the first time, and then landing on Mars and expecting the same awe, but it’s the same as the Moon. Still though the whole experience is pretty cool, since this board is probably the most loaded motherboard I have ever gazed upon.

Here we have our backpanel ports, same as the P67 variant, but a bit updated. We see the use of a different brand of USB/eSATA combo ports, as well as new Audio ports. Still this board boasts 10 USB 3.0 ports alone! I forgot to mention it also has a USB 3.0 turbo mode, for when your PCH’s 8x PCI-E 1x lanes are all crammed, you can bypass the PCH and use the CPU’s DMI bus directly.

Our RAM slots are just as before, placed as close as can be to the socket to maintain shorter trace length for lower trace parasitic impedance.

Moving over to our PCI-E layout, we have two full speed 16x slots and two 8X speed PCI-E slots from the NF200 chipset, which was carried over as well. Surprisingly we are also granted 2x PCI legacy slots, which many find useful. We also have a PCI-E 1x slot up top.

Here we have gray colored Marvell SATA6G ports, white colored Intel SATA6G ports, and 4 black Intel SATA3G ports.
    Sorry for the tilted picture, but here you can see all the connectors at the bottom of the board. Pretty much everything you need, plus two USB 3.0 connectors which can each support up to 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Here are out very handy power, reset, and CMOS clear buttons.

Here we take the heatsinks off, as always this is where the good part begins!

Moving to the back of the board we have our trusted screws, springs, and washers to hold our heatsink in place.

Trusted 8 layer PCB.

Here is a shot of the heatsinks alone. You can see that they used thermal paste for the PCH and NF200 heatsinks, and thermal pads for the DrMOS. There are 10 DrMOS on the underside of the board, they are cooled indirectly through the 2oz of copper in the PCB, which is double Intel’s requirement for copper in the PCB.

Now we are going to move to my favorite part, the ICs.

Here is a VERY crowded picture for you, but I wanted this review to be more of a picture gallery along with explanation. Each section is outlined in a different color, and every picture below corresponds to those colored outlines. You have a guide on the left. So do try to keep up as we are going to zoom through power delivery on this board.
    I should note that if something on this board is being powered by switching mode power supply it uses Low RDS (ON) MOSFETs at the least, and the CPU main Vcore uses Driver MOSFETs (DrMOS). This keeps power delivery clean, and unlike many manufacturers, it can help deliver stable power to every component that needs it.

This is the back of the CPU socket area, you can see all the components on the underside. These are DrMOS & Intersil Phase Doublers, which cut down the switching frequency in half so the end result per individual phase is 1/4 the original 1.05mhz switching frequency. Surprisingly transient response is still up to Intel's standards and these boards own world records, and its for two reasons. #1 these phase doublers are designed to work with this PWM specifically, and since its an interleaved PWM, it theoretically can allow us to multiply the bandwidth across all phases. Interleaving allows for the use of less and less output capacitors since output ripple current can be multiplied across 24 phases thus reducing actual output ripple. It also allows us to turn all phases on at once. #2 a 264khz effective (I measured it) switching frequency at the DrMOS allow for more current output at MUCH higher efficiency, which lowers temperatures and should help stabilize the output current. This board supports MultiLevel LLC which incorporates 10 steps, as well as normal LLC, but that is for GIGABYTE diagnostic purposes to tune LLC. So this board has 33 combos of possible LLC programmed in the iTE GPIO in the picture below. As far as I know those are all the possible combinations, so its up to GIGA to tune their LLC over time, but do realize that LLC can and probably will vary across BIOSes.

BTW GIGABYTE says its a TRUE 24 Phase VRM, they designed it and they even showed a waveform:

You can see all the components and what they do. All of the components have been proven on past boards, and the PWM is probably the most advanced mixed signal analogue PWM. Its much more digitalized than its previous ISL6336G on the GIGABYTE X58 boards. This board can output easily 480A of power, multiply that by voltage and you have max wattage output. Of course its totally overkill.

Here we have our simple single stage CPU PLL output VRM. I really didn't have time to see what this VRM outputs too, but the CPU PLL read point is right in the path of its output, and everything else has its own VRM, so it has to be for one of the MANY voltage inputs the CPU requires.

Our 2 phase RAM VRM.

The NF200 is controlled by a single phase PWM, same as the CPU PLL and the PCH, except the end user cannot control it.

PCH VRM, which can be controlled through BIOS.

Here we have our last VRM(Switch Mode Power Supply) Its for the QPI/VTT and System Agent Voltages.

Here is how the PCI-E system on this board works. As you can see I went from the back of the board, because that was you can see physically what each port supports in terms of 16x/8x pins.

Our SATA6G support.

Our VERY complex USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 Turbo System.

Here are all the other ICs and SMD components that weren't covered!

Now we are going to move on to some of the other goodies I have in, as well as the installation of parts!

We have a really cool Kingston high performance triple channel DDR3 Kit.

I love playing around with RAM:

Three sticks:

or Two:

Heatsink installed.

GPU installed, and you can see even though the RAM has very high heatsinks, it still works well.

System up and running with the Touch BIOS!!!!!

There is my new cool keyboard! Its a travel keyboard, in which it can store up to 5 profiles, through really easy to use software, and then it has on board memory so it can store them computer to computer.

Really cool mouse!

Same profiles and storage. A ton of customization. Its a dream for gamers to have both this keyboard and mouse, they are really great to use while I play BFBC2! When you snipe you can turn the sensitivity down on the fly, and change profiles on the fly for different weapons. Then change back to normal operation after the game is over. I play either with a shotgun or a sniper rifle, and well they have to use different sensitivities.

Lights on the side show sensitivity levels. Different colors for different modes as well.

Here we have again mode selection, but on the keyboard this time.

The keyboard has TOUCH volume control!

You can see the red lights light up as you touch them!

The setup!

The new stuff!

Again the setup since we will now move to look at the new TOUCH Bios!!!!!

The Touch BIOS!!!!

As you guys may have seen the youtube video with Colin from GIGABYTE showing off their new Touch BIOS. It is time for me to explain and explore what is not in the video, because its not a simple BIOS. It is a EFI shell, in that it is firmware based, and you have to have it working with the BIOS. Many extreme tuners will be happy to hear that the old DOS style BIOS is still in tact, but this EFI shell is an in-Windows BIOS. What does that mean? It means you can set ALL BIOS settings through windows.

Why did they do this opposed to the UEFI of other manufacturers?
    I have gathered that they wanted to use EFI to appeal to those who are too scared to enter BIOS, and those who want a better looking BIOS at the same time. So they bypassed integrating it into the normal BIOS level, and instead put it at the OS level. This means that users who are new to OCing and tuning can just enter Windows and make BIOS changes from there. The BIOS is now software in a sense. While many wanted to have BIOS be at the BIOS level, the general consensus from consumers was that something like 90% of them DON'T want to touch the BIOS upon start up and would be much more inclined to use software. So here you have it.

So what benefits does this give us?

#1 It is easier to tune our systems, we can tune through the normal BIOS, but also copy other users settings through windows. So you can have your xtremesystems window open and enter in recommend OC settings at the same time, without two computers!
    #2 This gives EFI nice look to those of use who want it, and the basic look to those of us who don't (I don't).
    #3 We can now take screenshots of our OC settings!
    #4 We can save to CMOS straight from windows!
    #5 We don't have to reboot to save to CMOS, so we can set it and forget, and then on reboot have our settings.

I tried over and over to try to get the BIOS application settings to stick through windows, but you do have to reboot to get them to stick!

Here we have all the settings from in the BIOS, its pretty easy to navigate!

Multiplier change up to 59X:

We can monitor PC health through windows!

Save to CMOS through Windows:

Multi Level (10 Step LLC)

In conclusion yes this board is the same as the P67A-UD7-B3, the VRMs are the same. The only thing different are some accessories, the chipset, features, and BIOS is also different, and A LOT of consumers want this. This board probably wont be priced too much more than the current P67A-UD7-B3, but it will be priced high like the current UD7. The main benefit for those changing over from P67 to Z68 are SSD caching and Intel Smart Response Technology. A lot of users wanted the IGP functionality as well come Z68. The truth is that this board and many of the rest of GIGABYTE Z68 lineup do not have this. GIGABYTE didn't leave those who want it high and dry, they do have many IGP and Luci Virtu enabled and capable boards at much lower price points. So what is the deal? Maybe there is something that GIGABYTE knows and that we don't? I recommend that we wait and see what Virtu has in store for us, because other than power and money saving features, I don't see performance increases.

Stay tuned for that review, as well as the performance review for this board! I will be focusing very hard on USB 3.0 Turbo mode, SSD Caching and Smart Response technology, as those seem to the be largest benefits of this platform!

I have a few words to say about this board, and I have said them before; GIGABYTE LOVES to over engineer systems, from the CPU VRM to the USB 3.0 system and USB 3.0 turbo mode, GIGABYTE really over engineers its products to the benefit of its consumers. They have a long history of being innovative and they take initiatives with ground breaking technology. They were a bit late with the EFI BIOS, but they really did their research and I feel they nailed their target market. To have a product which is so packed with features you gotta look to GIGABYTE which "makes and bakes" all their boards (themselves) in Taiwan:

I would like to thank those at GIGABYTE who made this review possible!!!! Thank you!

So I wanted to try a new style where I make pictures that try to explain better than words, because I know time is of the essence. So If you like or dislike this method let me know!
    Last edited by sin0822; 05-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    24Phase power always looks/feels awesome!

Compared to a 12Phase say running at 73c (VRM TEMPS) how hot would a 24Phase power run, roughly like 40c ?

I am Xtreme
    yea it runs pretty coo, i just updated a few things!

Xtreme Member
    Even though it's for an enthusiast system which will most likely have a dedicated GPU, I dislike the exclusion of the onboard graphics. It is always nice to have a backup. Also, isn't that one of the main features that Z68 offers??

I like the new review style, very informative.

i7 920 / X58A-OC / Dominator GT 2000 7-8-7 / 5870 Lightning

Xtreme Addict
    GREAT review. Love the in-depth look at all the components. Any chance of a similar review of the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

I am Xtreme
    Cool, but I wished for once they would over engineer all the voltage increments iso touch bios unusefullness... Can you give me an insight why on earth Gigabyte Bioss engineers keeps on using it ? Ithink Gb did what most manufacturers would do, just swap the P67 with Z68 chipset and be done with it... I hope the 10 level LLC is not to crazy...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 05-11-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    As far as I can tell, Gigabyte is the only one to leave out the graphics output...

i7 920 / X58A-OC / Dominator GT 2000 7-8-7 / 5870 Lightning

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    As far as I can tell, Gigabyte is the only one to leave out the graphics output...
    I would have really liked the board to have the DVI out. As the top end model i think you end user should be spoilt with features. Granted most people won't use the integrated graphics, but having access to quicksync might be useful and you never know when an IGP might come in handy.

Otherwise, i've read your review Sinn over at overclock.net and yet again i'm impresed with the amount of work you have put in. Always a pleasuere to read your articles!
    CPU: i7-2600K||Sabertooth Z77|DDR3 16GB CL9 1866Mhz|GTX 580|SSD: Corsair Force 180GB|Blog: Jack-Brennan.com|Twitter: JBTechSec

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Cool, but I wished for once they would over engineer all the voltage increments iso touch bios unusefullness... Can you give me an insight why on earth Gigabyte Bioss engineers keeps on using it ? Ithink Gb did what most manufacturers would do, just swap the P67 with Z68 chipset and be done with it... I hope the 10 level LLC is not to crazy...
    What? Sorry what do you mean voltage increments?
    10Level LLC is already around in the current UD7-B3 BIOS, but its a bit off, as in some of the levels are a bit weaker. i will test these out as they could be much different than those levels.
    yea I agree with video display, but I did hear some pretty off things about its impact on overall. Sort of like its only for power saving. I will hve to test it out for myself
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    Next week i get to look at a UD3H which is the top GB model with video out. I will directly compare it to this board, and this board to P67.

I am Xtreme
    eg VDdimm 1.64-1.66-1.68... I have got no clue if it makes the bios algorythms more difficult to program when adding smaller increments... if tiwa s on alow end board I could forgive the bios engineers, but on a high end one you should be able to fine tune any voltage you like... this never ever seems to happen for GB boards... such a pitty
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm looks a lot like P67 UD7 with a new BIOS to me. What would you say is the reason to buy this over the P67? They didnt even put video out so you get no graphics switching. Sure there is SRT but man it seems silly to even bother with this chipset for that. :/ What am I missing?

Great write up btw, Im just not that excited about this board.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    eg VDdimm 1.64-1.66-1.68... I have got no clue if it makes the bios algorythms more difficult to program when adding smaller increments... if tiwa s on alow end board I could forgive the bios engineers, but on a high end one you should be able to fine tune any voltage you like... this never ever seems to happen for GB boards... such a pitty
    Well i never gave it a second thought, it probably has to do with the PWM used for the different voltages, or its the BIOS, and I think it might be the BIOS, because some voltages controlled off less complex PWMs in the same board have more precise voltage control.

I never thought about it much, since i think 20mv is enough for peripheral voltage, especially because current is more important, and the fact that what you set is never what you get because of vdrop which is present on all boards to different extents.

CPU Vcore is well controlled tho at 5mv.

It still doesn't seem to be holding ppl back at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    Hmm looks a lot like P67 UD7 with a new BIOS to me. What would you say is the reason to buy this over the P67? They didnt even put video out so you get no graphics switching. Sure there is SRT but man it seems silly to even bother with this chipset for that. :/ What am I missing?

Great write up btw, Im just not that excited about this board.
    Yea there really is not much different about this board compared to the P67 variant, its really the same board, but with extra features. SSD Caching, SRT, Touch BIOS, and the USB 2.0 hub are the benefits so if those are worth the extra 5-10% over the P67 varient's price then ppl will buy. I think that puts P67 in its own price bracket with its own target market.

I think they didn't incorporate the Virtu and IGP b/c its just a power saving feature in the end and problematic at that, and i read your review you did a nice job as well! I also read Michael's article too, and I can see why they didn't bother incorporating it into their top end boards. It really is a feature for those who want a cheaper product or power saving, and its not like GB didn't target them, any Z68 board with H in its numbering like UD3H will have the Virtu tech.

I think GB decided they wanted to go all out for Z68 and changing the UD7 and UD5 and UD4 and incorporating Virtu would have delayed the entire product line. I can put it this way, but i am not sure GB would agree or disagree, They left it out because not many enthusiasts really care if its there and wouldn't mind a cheaper product without it. Of course that is my opinion.

i have a UD3H coming in soon, so Ill do a whole writing up on that, and compare SLI scores across platforms. it should be interesting.

XIP
    Nice review

How it fares in 3Ds comparo to 67B3?

I am Xtreme
    Ill check that out for you

Xtreme Mentor
    340€ omfg.
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

holy crap how much info can you get in 1 review?
    nice job and nice mobo
    I7 3770K
    Asus Z77 Sabertooth
    G.Skill ripjaws X 1600Mhz 8Gb
    Asus GTX670 DC2
    Noctua NH-D14
    Crucial M4 128Gb
    500Gb caviar black
    HAF922|HX850

Xtreme Addict
    IMO the main benefit of Virtu or Synergy is that you can run a multi monitor setup and watch video (or QSV) when you are playing a game. For me that would be the most useful Z68 feature as it is something I would actually use and I would pay an extra 10% for it. I understand that Virtu is not working 100% as it should yet and Synergy isnt even ready but even still it seems silly to leave this out of the flagship board that has every random feature you can think of included.
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    Yea there really is not much different about this board compared to the P67 variant, its really the same board, but with extra features. SSD Caching, SRT, Touch BIOS, and the USB 2.0 hub are the benefits so if those are worth the extra 5-10% over the P67 varient's price then ppl will buy. I think that puts P67 in its own price bracket with its own target market.

I think they didn't incorporate the Virtu and IGP b/c its just a power saving feature in the end and problematic at that, and i read your review you did a nice job as well! I also read Michael's article too, and I can see why they didn't bother incorporating it into their top end boards. It really is a feature for those who want a cheaper product or power saving, and its not like GB didn't target them, any Z68 board with H in its numbering like UD3H will have the Virtu tech.

I think GB decided they wanted to go all out for Z68 and changing the UD7 and UD5 and UD4 and incorporating Virtu would have delayed the entire product line. I can put it this way, but i am not sure GB would agree or disagree, They left it out because not many enthusiasts really care if its there and wouldn't mind a cheaper product without it. Of course that is my opinion.

i have a UD3H coming in soon, so Ill do a whole writing up on that, and compare SLI scores across platforms. it should be interesting.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Member
    Great review, again. And that board, it's just amazing...

I am Xtreme
    Thanks guys!

IMO the main benefit of Virtu or Synergy is that you can run a multi monitor setup and watch video (or QSV) when you are playing a game. For me that would be the most useful Z68 feature as it is something I would actually use and I would pay an extra 10% for it. I understand that Virtu is not working 100% as it should yet and Synergy isnt even ready but even still it seems silly to leave this out of the flagship board that has every random feature you can think of included.
    Yea i know you told me about your urge to watch a movie and play a game at the same time! LOL i don't even think i could do that. What if it hurt gaming performance?

I am Xtreme
    i wish it had at least 10mV increments...

and 24phase and no read points?

overclocking involves overvolting....measuring points are implied necessarily i would think

Xtreme Addict
    Shouldnt be more than a few % drop in perf. Hard to say at this point though because it is so dam buggy.
    Yea i know you told me about your urge to watch a movie and play a game at the same time! LOL i don't even think i could do that. What if it hurt gaming performance?
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    i wish it had at least 10mV increments...

and 24phase and no read points?

overclocking involves overvolting....measuring points are implied necessarily i would think
    agreed, they should incorporate vread points.
    Ill find the voltage read points, as they will be the same as the original UD7, so if someone is in need they can look at that review, but ill post them in my performance review.

GB really needs to get voltage read points in all their top boards.
    Shouldnt be more than a few % drop in perf. Hard to say at this point though because it is so dam buggy.
    Agreed.

Xtreme Addict
    Very true, every board targeted to enthusiast and every board over $200 should have read points. I hate soldering stuff to boards unnecessarily.

I like the read points on MSI boards, you can put the dmm probes in em easily. What gb did with the oc board is pretty sweet as well.
    GB really needs to get voltage read points in all their top boards.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    yea i have both the MSI and GB types, i think the GB ones are just as good.

i honestly don't mind soldering but that is me! LOL

I have 4DMMs for voltage monitoring on my OC board, they come in handy a lot.

Xtreme Member
    Another super in depth review Sin... Nice work, i have no idea how you are able to spend so much time on a board....but i sure dont mind that you do!

Keep em coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast