Thread: RAID Controller & HD question

RAID Controller & HD question

I'm looking to redo my media storage and wanted to set something up that would work for now, but also be expandable for the future.

This won't be just storage, as this PC will also be used for photoshop and ripping DVDs to HD. We already have a server setup for general data backup, so that's not the primary purpose for the new stuff.

After doing some research, I've come up with this possible solution:

1) Areca 1880i (the $600 one ... it's so confusing with all the same naming!)

2) 8 x 2TB 7200 RPM HDs - thinking RAID 5 (WD Blacks?)

I will run the OS and applications off of a couple of SSDs.

The Areca is perhaps overkill for what I want now - I looked at the LSI 9240-8i, but then I've seen issues with EVGA boards with that controller. I'm currently using an EVGA Micro X58 board - but this could be changed easily enough. I'm open to recommendations.

I've also seen some mumblings about issues with 2TB drives and RAID 5 ... I'm not set on either ... just seemed to be a commonly referenced setup. Any specific recommendations for HDs - I've been told WD Black is the way to go.

I'm open to suggestions and appreciate any help you can provide. Don't worry too much about the budget (always a concern, but remember that this endeavor is also for the purpose of experimenting and learning, so I'm okay with a bit of overkill. I also don't want something fraught with compatibility issues).

I am Xtreme!
    Areca 1880i is nice! Even support Expanders

But dont buy WD black no matter what raid card go for. After WD removed TLER for drives can drop out of raid.

Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 work very well in raid. Have 10x in raid 6 running close to year.

My Old array use WD black 1TB, but are so old TLER work on them.

Info about TLER
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Li...Error_Recovery
    MAIN PC: CPU: Intel Core 7 920 D0 , MB Evga SLI MCRO X58, RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 6GB, GFX: 6970 2GB , OS HDD: Intel 40GB , Intel 160GB G2 SSD, WD SCORPIO BLUE 500GB, Case LIAN LI PC-V354 , Windows 7 Ultimate
    FILE/MEDIA Server: MB: Supermicro X8SIA-F , CPU: Intel Xeon Quad-Core - X3460, Raid card: Areca 1880i+ HP SAS Expander ,CASE: Chenbro RM 414B , OS DISK WD Scorpio Black 160gb ,RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC/Reg ,PSU: Corsair HX750W , HHD: 10x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, OS: Windows server 2008
    Server2: MB: Tyan S5217G2NR-EFI Bigby-P, CPU: Intel Dual core , 4GB RAM , Areca 1680IX-16, HDD 10x WD Black 1TB

Thanks, Agrophel. Is there any reason NOT to go with the Hitachi 7K3000 2TB model instead of the 7K2000 2 TB, since they are the same price?

Egyptian OverClocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrophel View Post

But dont buy WD black no matter what raid card go for. After WD removed TLER for drives can drop out of raid.
    All WD ?? or just specific models

we have here in Egypt only WD and i am planning to buy a LSI 9260 to use with some 500GB blue WD

EDIT:
    sorry for off-topic
    Last edited by Okda; 02-05-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Mentor
    I wouldn't use WDs in any kind of RAID, hw controller or otherwise. They just screw up firmware and error reporting too often.

I am discouraged from using Areca based on number of people who lose arrays on 2cpu.com. In general I would not use any hardware controller that doesn't obey to the Common Disk Format (DDF) so that you can use third-party software for recovery. Other controllers I would have more faith in but I found that Linux software RAID and the RAID-like functionality in FreeBSD's ZFS are superior for my needs anyway.

(note that this is real software raid, not the junk in the motherboard BIOS)

Xtreme Guru
    Tbh shazza i wouldnt raid them, seeming as raid isnt a backup.. I'd just get a raid card and run them all single drives,i'd raitd the ssd's though.. Alot safer and stable imo.. The areca 1880i is a good card but for the price range i wouldnt get one, preferably 9240 or the 9260 with FP key is what i would suggest.. IIRC i believe the EVGA X58 boards are fine its more of the older EVGA boards which are 775.. As for Hdd's yes the blacks are the best but i'd go with some 1TB drives just to be safe as having 4x 2tb would be like 8 platters total so go with some but thats just me i prefer having single drives as i've had raided before and it caused never ending problems and could never recover with software , The hitachi 2tb hdd's do look very promising though, IIRC they run @ 10krpm..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Thanks, johnny. I hear what you are saying, but I'm trying to get away from my "add a drive and put some more stuff on it strategy." We do already have a server setup for back-up, and, if I get this working well, we will ultimately upgrade that too.

With respect to the EVGA compatibility issue ... I've read lots about issues with the Classified X58 boards. I suppose I could just go the LSI 9240 route and change out my EVGA Micro X58 if it doesn't work.

I'm still trying to decide on the best choice for drives. I'm not too concerned with the 1 vs 2 TB issue ... gotta step into the future at some point

Heat from both the controller and that many HDs is a concern, but that can ultimately be dealt with in a number of ways ...

Xtreme Guru
    Well for the raid cards ive seen some really xtreme stuff, Modding new heatsinks onto the cards which seems to help, even watercooling with some modded blocks xtreme much ? ... Well if your after 2TB drives definately go for the best and grab some 2TB blacks, Cant go wrong raiding them babys!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?