Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel Ivy Bridge (22nm) News & Rumours Thread

I am Xtreme

Arrow Intel Ivy Bridge (22nm) News & Rumours Thread

Let me start.

Ivy Bridge 22nm works with H67 and P67 (1155 pin compatible, needs new BIOS)
    Intel finally came to its senses to use the same socket and make the 22nm Ivy Bridge pin and software compatible to Sandy Bridge x67 boards, and this happens to be the chipset that is affected with a huge embarrassment and SATA 2 recall bug. Now that is ironic.

The big news that P67 and H67 boards will support Ivy Bridge 22nm processors after BIOS and firmware updates is not as cool as it would have been if Intel didn’t mess these chipsets up.

Still there is a hope, as of April all boards powered with H67 and P67 will be bug free and with a BIOS update, they will be able to support Ivy Bridge 22nm processors. So once you get a functional bug free P67 or H67, you can expect to be able to plug Ivy into it and after new BIOS flash, they should just work.

This is what Intel told its various partners and this is the plan for now, but this bug can change a lot of minds and can affect just about any decision.

Intel also told to its special few that Ivy Bridge on Sugar Bay (6 series ) based platforms will require firmware and BIOS update and it also tells them that Q65, Q67 and B65 cheaper chipsets, won't support Ivy Bridge.

As we said, irony. Intel finally makes a good move and decides to keep the same socket and motherboards compatible with the future 22nm processors, only to have the platform affected by its biggest chipset recall in years.
    Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/

Ivy Bridge 22nm has DDR3 1600 support (and more)
    The SATA 2 recall bug for H67 and P67 boards really threatens to shake up Intel, but luckily for you Intel has a new CPU and new chipset scheduled for 1H 2012 launch, most likely early Q1 2012.

Considering the Sandy Bridge chipset recall we would not be surprised to see Ivy Bridge CPU and Intel seventh series chipset codenamed Panther Point even earlier, e.g. in Q4 2011 but this is nothing we can confirm today. This can happen if Intel can ramp up 22nm production and if Sandy Bridge takes a really big hit with this chipset recall fiasco.

Intel officially tells its partners that Ivy Bridge 22nm comes in 1H 2012 and that it has a third generation of Hi-K metal gate process technology as well as next generation Intel HD graphics and a new memory controller.

Integrated memory controller now supports two channel DDR3 up to 1600 and it also has support for SO DIMMS if one needs them. The controller supports two modules per channel, so the magical number for memory slots is four.

The CPU's will come in 35W, 45W, 65W and 95W increments making them power compatible with Sandy Bridge parts that are sitting in the same power bracket. The CPU supports Turbo Boost technology 2.0, the same one that you might see with Sandy Bridge, as well as the next generation Quick Sync video technology thanks to its new DirectX 11 graphics.

Lets not forget the enhanced AVX acceleration.
    Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-04-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    http://www.computerbase.de/news/hard...-sandy-bridge/

German, but artcikle says its rumored that Ivybridge is 20% faster then SB. (though it doesn't say where or how.. )

So the 20% could be realistic if they compare the topend mainstream SB vs the future topend mainstream IB.

The PhotoCHOPer
    Good to see once I do eventually get a P67 board that it'll last for awhile.
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

Banned
    Interesting, i read somewhere before that while its gonna use the same socket 1155 ,there will be new chipset and it wont work with current ones.
    If thats not the case, thats a significant plus for me, because AM3+ bulldozer for now seems to be short lived.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    10 core 22nm cpu for 1366 socket stat ! :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    German, but artcikle says its rumored that Ivybridge is 20% faster then SB. (though it doesn't say where or how.. )

So the 20% could be realistic if they compare the topend mainstream SB vs the future topend mainstream IB.
    Probably more, I am sure it'll have at least 20% higher clock speed thanks to 22nm.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    VRD12 PWm spec says ivy bridge is 2012 http://wenku.baidu.com/view/7e1bbcd8...6f533221c.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is a welcome relief!! Might reconsider SB if Ivy will indeed be compatible. Thanks for putting this up Zalbard!

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Member
    i'd rather see lightpeak boards showing up than worry about P67 compatibility

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I believe fuad's speculations come from this little picture:

An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme Addict
    oh now sudden fuad news is proven.... nice statement btw.... and select 6 series
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Great news, if its true

Xtreme Enthusiast
    All i am worried is how trustworthy that pic is? I mean, found it two weeks ago, but never saw it published on any reputable web-site, neither did i.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    i'd rather see lightpeak boards showing up than worry about P67 compatibility
    Hmmm..... I think you missed my point. As a bencher I didn't want to have another P55 situation happening. With Ivy being compatible ....the money for boards, mem & cpu's is a little easier to take. I'm really waiting for X68 .....but with the 990X's just around the corner...will give that a bash first...and then perhaps dabble in P67. Lightpeak can wait.

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

I am Xtreme
    no it looks legit, i believe some boards, i saw said they support the ivy. but i might have misread.

Eitherway its still a sandy bridge die shrink, idk how powerful it will be.
    Last edited by sin0822; 02-04-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got another one in my pocket it is more to Panther point, but still:

note that it says PCI-Express Gen 2, as 2.0 (or 2.1), so no PCI-Express 3.0 for Ivy Bridge?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuTnicK View Post
    I've got another one in my pocket it is more to Panther point, but still:

note that it says PCI-Express Gen 2, as 2.0 (or 2.1), so no PCI-Express 3.0 for Ivy Bridge?
    No PCI-E 3.0 for the lines off the chipset. The lines off the CPU itself (x16 probably) will be 3.0 .

People keep forgetting that the northbridge and the memory controller are inside the CPU since Lynnfield... that's why we hear "P55 supports DDR3 only". Incorrect, the PCH doesn't support any memory, the CPU does.
    Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 02-04-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    I just hope Asus drops a "Gene" series board for 1155.

at that point, i'll upgrade. 22nm on a sexy red/black mATX board? sign me up.
    PC-A04 | Z68MA-ED55 | 2500k | 2200+ XPG | 7970 | 180g 520 | 2x1t Black | X3 1000w

Xtreme Guru
    22nm using 1155, knew it , These gonna be the 6-10 cores everybody mentioning???

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

I am Xtreme
    It's not supposed to compete with high-end SB which comes out in Q4 2011, so I suppose these'll have 4 or at best 6, at least at the start.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Member
    So let me get this straight. 22nm Ivy Bridge, a more powerful CPU than Sandy Bridge on P67 and yet no 16x16 SLI/Crossfire unless Lucid chip is on the board? Whaaaat?

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.31v [L041C123] | Gigabyte P67-UD3P-B3 | Corsair H60 | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 8-9-8-24-1T | Samsung F3 1TB |
    ASUS GTX 670 2GB| PCP&C Silencer 500W | Antec Three Hundred "Blacked Out" | Dell Ultrasharp 23" U2311H IPS 1920x1080

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    22nm using 1155, knew it , These gonna be the 6-10 cores everybody mentioning???
    In a tiny socket 1155 package? doubtful; they probably could jam 6 cores in 1155 but I would expect lower cost quads.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    It's not supposed to compete with high-end SB which comes out in Q4 2011, so I suppose these'll have 4 or at best 6, at least at the start.
    im confused, 22nm IVY is coming in q4 2011 and there new chipset 2012..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    Good to see once I do eventually get a P67 board that it'll last for awhile.
    From now till April? yeah thats a record for Intel.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Member
    I thought Ivy Bridge was supposed to use DDR4 Ram? or maybe it'll be compatible with 3 & 4

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast