Thread: Does SLI really work?

Does SLI really work?

My uncle says he has read that SLI does not work both video cards. Is this true and why do a 2 video card install if both cards don't combine and work together. Why not just stay with 1 BIG FANCY video card? Can anyone help me cause I was going to buy 2 Gigabyte GTS 450's. I don't want to waste the money if 1 card does the same as 2 video cards in SLI.

Xtreme Member
    SLI scales well in 4xx and 5xx cards, much better than older cards.

So yes, it does work

Xtreme Addict
    Yes it works but it does not give you twice the framerate.

The best single card usually beats an SLI setup consisting of a little older cards.

Buy your SLI setup and you can have some experience yourself. Just remember that it is more heat and noise in your rig.

Xtreme Addict
    Heat, power...
    When gta4 came out it would take your fps and drop it down to 1.

Not sure if the compatibility has been increased or not.
    Great idea if you can get 2x older cards for really cheap.
    Otherwise it's probably not worth it :|.

Fanboy of Good Products
    SLI works as well as the game you are playing supports it. Most games nowadays take advantage of SLI. The most important thing is to research what games you're going to be playing, how they respond to sli and then which gpus will fit in your budget (making sure that a single card in your budget won't outperform the sli'd cards)

sounds like fun to me
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTNightstalker View Post
    My uncle says he has read that SLI does not work both video cards. Is this true and why do a 2 video card install if both cards don't combine and work together. Why not just stay with 1 BIG FANCY video card? Can anyone help me cause I was going to buy 2 Gigabyte GTS 450's. I don't want to waste the money if 1 card does the same as 2 video cards in SLI.
    Because sometimes you can buy 2 cards for the price of one powerful card and scales up to 30% extra in terms of performance

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have used SLI a few times and I must say I have been overall impressed. you don't quite get double the perf but in Crysis Warhead I noticed a 96% increase when going from one 480 to two of them. I also have yet to have an compatibly issues what so ever. Deff a good solution, I have also built a bunch of CFX systems but i find the solution to be junk in comparison to SLI... lots of bugs and driver issues...
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Member
    What CPU do you have? No point in running SLI on a weak/slow CPU.
    Intel 6700K @ 4.3 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
    4x4GB Corsair DDR3-2800
    GTX980Ti MSI Lightning
    Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
    4 x Intel 80GB x25-m SSD's RAID0
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTNightstalker View Post
    Are you looking to buy 2 450s or are you buying another 450 to pair up with one you have. If you are buying 2 new 450s you are better off buying one 560 for the same price as it looks like the same if not better performance with less power, heat, and no potential sli issues. In some cases 2 lower end cards can be bought for the same price as one higher end card for more performance but i dont see that in this case. Now if you are just buying one card to add to one you have by all means go for it. Future reference though. Your question could better answered by googling "450 sli review". Places like Guru3d will answer your hardware performance questions as they put up reviews with comparisons to much of the latest hardware.

Xtreme Guru
    dude. SLI is the best thing since sliced bread. seriously. you dont get 100 percent scaling but it is worth every penny to go to two cards. going up to three is less of a jump though. but two is a definite great idea!

a big thing that it helps you with that many dont take into consideration is the low FPS> you spend more time while gaming in your mid-to-low FPS range. this is where the SLI crush single card. (if you are considering one v two of the same thing.)

not in all situations will it be a good fit though. depends upon what your spending price v performance.

howeever, if you are just asking about the viability of it as a whole? hell yea its great i have ran dual sli and tri sli, and they are both great
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've run the following SLI configurations over the years:
    7800GT
    7900GTs
    8800GTS 640MB
    GTX 260 192s (ran this for over a year...)

Every time something new came out, I bought two.

Now I've gone back to single card (single GTX 480) since none of the games I play push that card to its limit at 2560x1600. If something more demanding comes out, I will grab a couple 560 Tis or 570s and go back to dual card. It's a much better experience now than it was with the old 7000 series cards. A couple people in this thread have mentioned that 400/500 series is better than older stuff, but I'd go as far as to say even 200 series is pretty darn good.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Evil Kitty
    yes...it certianly works. You just need to review the cost to performance ratio of what you're trying to do. Given your budget, sometimes 2 cheaper cards will get you more performance for less money, and sometimes just getting the single more expense card is the way to go. This depends on the games you will be playing and the screen resolutions you are trying to push. I suggest some interent research on the 2 450s in SLI versus the next best single card for the same money.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Quote Originally Posted by chinobino View Post
    What CPU do you have? No point in running SLI on a weak/slow CPU.
    I'm running an AMD Phenom IIx4 940 processor.

I have bought 2 EVGA GTX 460's. Thanks guys for the info and the web sights to help me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTX 460's.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	112767  

Fanboy of Good Products
    thx for posting back with a success story, glad it worked out for ya!
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    I have a crossfire setup and it works great. I get almost double frames in cod and BC. Shogun 2 not so much.

Sent from my GSBv1.9 ERIS using Tapatalk