Thread: LogMeIn Hamachi² problems

LogMeIn Hamachi² problems

I've been playing with networking, I setup a FTP/HTTP with my WNR3500L using a USB laying around. I got the idea of connection my disk to my LAN, that works pretty meh, I have to restart my router everyday or I can't access the drive or the software control. But what I really wanted to do is to be able to access those files outside the network. I looked and found I need a VPN, I tried Filezilla, which looked to hard so I gave that up.

I've used LogMeIn for there remote desktop capabilities for a couple years now, a great free product. I looked and they have a VPN called Hamachi². The software is great it's Windows that is the problem. I'm trying to connect a disk currently in a XP system (just data, no windows OS files) to my laptop that has Window 7. I got everything setup and they see each other in Hamachi² and they both ping to each other. However when I go to access a movie or picture it freezes and the ping windows on both ends says "Request has timed out" or something to that effect. So what's the problem? I opened the firewall for Hamachi².

BTW when I look at my network connections it says "network 3 - no internet access" which I'm assuming is the network Hamachi² is trying to use. How do I enable it?

Xtreme CCIE
    I can't comment on how to troubleshoot Hamachi^2, but if you're looking for the simplest way of doing things possible, why not just open your firewall on port 3389 (or a random port that is redirected to 3389) and use Remote Desktop to the computer in your house (rather than paying for LogMeIn) and check the box that offers to connect your disk drive? Then you can just pop over to the remote desktop window and drag/drop files as you want.

I dunno, it just sounds easier to use RDP (which is encrypted) rather than LogMeIn + Hamachi... and free...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I can't comment on how to troubleshoot Hamachi^2, but if you're looking for the simplest way of doing things possible, why not just open your firewall on port 3389 (or a random port that is redirected to 3389) and use Remote Desktop to the computer in your house (rather than paying for LogMeIn) and check the box that offers to connect your disk drive? Then you can just pop over to the remote desktop window and drag/drop files as you want.

I dunno, it just sounds easier to use RDP (which is encrypted) rather than LogMeIn + Hamachi... and free...
    The log me in and hamachi are both free to use

I would be using a VNC program but my university only really has port 80 open for web browsers, I geuss I could try changing ports on the VNC but I'd rather get Hamachi going. Maybe that's the problem here with Hamachi is blocked ports.
    Last edited by The_Beast; 02-01-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think hamachi uses udp ports for peer communication, they are probably being blocked. Try TeamViewer, uses port 80 and you can install it as a service on non server OS's.

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by ben0 View Post
    I think hamachi uses udp ports for peer communication, they are probably being blocked. Try TeamViewer, uses port 80 and you can install it as a service on non server OS's.
    Yep, Hamachi does use UDP.

I still think using RDP over, in this case, port 80 is going to be easier than using party apps, unless the destination PC is a *nix box of some kind or doesn't support RDP server services of course. Just open port 80 on your home router, redirect port 80 outside to port 3389 inside, and it should work. I was running in a similar fashion for a long time.

Another option would be to host an OpenSSH server on your home computer and tunnel communication over an SSH client. I've done that before too. Basically you tell your SSH client to tunnel ports X, Y, and Z and it negotiates with the server, and the server agrees to accept the tunnel and voila, you have a direct line to your home PC over which you can run other applications such as VNC. By default the servers seem to accept such negotiation, and the clients are pretty easy to configured (eg. PuTTY is a free client, you can set up a tunnel in about 30 seconds).
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:

I just did a port check, only 8080 is open.

137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 21 (ftp).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 23 (telnet).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 25 (smtp).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 80 (http).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 110 (pop3).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 139 (netbios-ssn).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 445 (microsoft-ds).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 1433 (ms-sql-s).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 1521 (ncube-lm).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 1723 (pptp).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 3306 (mysql).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 3389 (ms-wbt-server).
    137.104.227.228 isn't responding on port 5900 ().
    137.104.227.228 is responding on port 8080 (webcache).

Xtreme Member
    Is your connection presented as straight Ethernet and what's the wan interface address on your router?

I think the address you are seeing is the router performing nat that you are sitting behind in which case hamachi/logmein/teamviewer/any other VPN app is your only choice because you don't have a real/public ip address, unless you do and port 8080 is the web management interface on your router, in which case you can use rdp - just make you have a password on your local admin account and your pc is fully patched up ;-)
    Last edited by ben0; 02-03-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Didn't read thread properly :-(

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top

Xtreme CCIE
    Is that your home router or a service run against your dorm?

You should be able to open any ports you want on your home router (provided you can make outbound requests on those ports), and it doesn't matter what ports are open inbound at your dorm.

Xtreme Network:

If the port was closed would I be able to ping the other computer?

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    If the port was closed would I be able to ping the other computer?
    Which port? On what? Where? Huh?

Are we talking about:
    - Your router
    - Your dorms network
    - Your home computer

In all cases, if pings are blocked, then no, you wouldn't be able to ping it. But I want to make sure we're talking about the right thing too... eg. pinging your home router != pinging your home computer.

Xtreme Network:

http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceK...0000000DGI9CAO

If I ping those ports, on the laptop or desktop while in my LAN it works, files transfer everything is fine and dandy. When I leave the network, it still pings on all those ports but as soon at I click a file to stream I get a request time out.

Xtreme CCIE
    Okay, so you're trying to ping your home PC through Hamachi then?

If it works on your LAN, I would suggest you take a look at the firewall rules on that PC. Is the computers firewall blocking that traffic to the Hamachi network interface?

Xtreme Network:

Okay, so you're trying to ping your home PC through Hamachi then?

If it works on your LAN, I would suggest you take a look at the firewall rules on that PC. Is the computers firewall blocking that traffic to the Hamachi network interface?
    Yes, from a different network, I pinged my desktop with my laptop.

I did have exceptions made in the firewall for Hamachi on both machines

Xtreme CCIE
    Yes, from a different network, I pinged my desktop with my laptop.

I did have exceptions made in the firewall for Hamachi on both machines
    You need to open ports to allow Hamachi to work on the LAN network.

You need to open ports to ping on the network connection that Hamachi creates.

Unless you mean that, using Hamachi, you were able to ping those ports from within your LAN (again, pinging the Hamachi IP addresses though)? You've got to be specific in what you say you do.

Edit: Unless XP only had firewall settings for the system, not per adapter. Been awhile since I checked, I've been on Win 7 awhile now... correct me about that if I'm wrong.

Xtreme Network:

You need to open ports to allow Hamachi to work on the LAN network.

You need to open ports to ping on the network connection that Hamachi creates.

Unless you mean that, using Hamachi, you were able to ping those ports from within your LAN (again, pinging the Hamachi IP addresses though)? You've got to be specific in what you say you do.

Edit: Unless XP only had firewall settings for the system, not per adapter. Been awhile since I checked, I've been on Win 7 awhile now... correct me about that if I'm wrong.
    I think I'm just going to give up on Hamachi, it's sucking up too much of my time and it's not worth it anymore. Orb works, not as well as I'd like it too but it works without spending too many hours messing around with it and asking for help from you

Too bad XS doesn't have a rep system, so the best I can do is say thank a lot for sticking by so long.

Xtreme Member
    Hamachi is just a VPN application which should allow you to use network resources. LogMeIn, is an alternative to remote desktop. Technically, because you've set up a Hamachi VPN, you should just be able to use RDP to get in. From my experience, LogMeIn is capable of skirting many of the security parameters put in place on a firewall. Use one, or the other. I'd advise against using both, as it really does just complicate the issue.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

The main reason for setting up a VPN, in my case, was to stream video from my desktop to my laptop from anywhere. I love and use the RDP all the time, but it BLOWS at video playback. Everything is choppy, miscolored, laggy....... the RDP even with standard definition videos, 720 and 1080 sized media is unbearable to watch.

Logmein does offer file transfers or streaming but only with the pro version of the software, I'd like to stream media, but not if I have to pay for it.

Xtreme Member
    The main reason for setting up a VPN, in my case, was to stream video from my desktop to my laptop from anywhere. I love and use the RDP all the time, but it BLOWS at video playback. Everything is choppy, miscolored, laggy....... the RDP even with standard definition videos, 720 and 1080 sized media is unbearable to watch.

Logmein does offer file transfers or streaming but only with the pro version of the software, I'd like to stream media, but not if I have to pay for it.
    With this info in mind, I believe you're going about it the wrong way. If you're going to stream video from off-premises, you probably ought to look into a streaming media server. I know VLC offers the services. So long as you can remote into the server and set up VLC, you shouldn't have any issues.

The other big issue you may be running into, and not even realizing, is your upload speed. If your ISP has you throttled outbound, any chance of streaming a movie is shot. With the VPN, you at least convince both the client and the server you're on the same physical network. However, you're still at the mercy of your ISP.
    Last edited by aythrea; 02-05-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Edited for continued thoughts...
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by aythrea View Post
    With this info in mind, I believe you're going about it the wrong way. If you're going to stream video from off-premises, you probably ought to look into a streaming media server. I know VLC offers the services. So long as you can remote into the server and set up VLC, you shouldn't have any issues.

The other big issue you may be running into, and not even realizing, is your upload speed. If your ISP has you throttled outbound, any chance of streaming a movie is shot. With the VPN, you at least convince both the client and the server you're on the same physical network. However, you're still at the mercy of your ISP.
    Hmm, upload speed did come to mind when I saw a 720p episode be destroyed by Orb.

I don't know if VLC/VLS is going to work, my university blocks all personal HTTP and FTP. My router as a USB so I plugged in a flash drive. It works on my LAN and that's it. I stopped by the IT office and the told me straight out they were blocked. I'll still give it a try.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Something else you might want to try is Tversity. I host it and my media on a computer at home and I can set it up where I can view my media anywhere as long as I port forwarded correctly. Though, not sure how you'd go about it if you wanted to host on your uni's connection.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Member
    I highly HIGHLY recommend TeamViewer.

They even have an app for the iPhone which allows you to control your PC as well as the regular PC-to-PC program.

i5 3570K|GTX 590|ASRock H77M-ITX|HX620W|8GB CORSAIR|128 M4