Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's do some bragging!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ahh sweet thread glad I found it!!

I'm Kevin, I'm 19 from central Alberta up here in Canada. I got into computers when I ventured to work with my Dad one day in the grade 9 "take your kid to work day" and what a mistake for him I started crunching years ago on my old P3's and on what used to be my best machine (P4 3.4ghz) I got into Rosetta because they were having what could be the equivalent of a "super computer week" and I thought hey this is cool. pretty much right after that the "incident" happened where by our Rosetta team was bashed by a few other teams for using the optimized clients. most of the crew came to WCG and ever since I have been hanging out here i have touched a little bit into F@H with some 8800's back in the day but I don't run them anymore because the parents have put a major block on how much power i use... I run GPUgrid on a GTX 460 in our media server and M@H on a 4850 at my work.

lucky for me i know work for my Dad's company running all of the retail operations for them. our company does large scale IT, software design, websites and since they employed me, retail computer service and custom gaming systems for all the locals...

I only run a handful of systems out of my house now as the parents are not to keen on the power bill but I do run a handful of machines at work here and a few at my church... overall the little has added up to allot overtime and in the top 3XX's all time points for WCG and of that I'm really proud considering I'm only 19...

i would like to share a little bit as to why i crunch though. back when I was about 3 I was diagnosed with leukemia. that lasted for a few years but lucky for me I have been Cancer free for who knows how long now

I would also like to say that I personally appreciate the work EVERY member does for the team no matter how large or small. I have been very blessed to have the resources (much of which has been donated) to do what I have done. but what it all comes down to is members doing what they can. like has been said limping along a P4 is just as good as a server farm of i7's if the motive and heart is the same.

nice to meet some of you
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great idea poppa, this'll be great for updating the people page on your website

My name's Ben. I'm 21 and I work full time in a treasury for a property management company

I've not been on the dc wagon for. very long (nor been into pc hardware in general to be honest!) but I am rather hooked - which is good news for science, not for my wallet.

Just two machines running at the moment; my I7 which is still waiting for me to finish watercooling and my sossaman. I recently added two 460's to my I7 to boost my gpugrid output. I've been running wcg since June last year. I'm not geared towards any specific project - I just take what I can get.

Why do I crunch? I enjoy building pc's and tinkering around with them. Trying to squeeze the best performance out of them. Also the competition side within our team, trying to defend our little patch or being flat out steamrolled by the latest juggernaut Then you take a step back and realise that what we are all doing will help someone some day, then that just makes you feel warm inside

Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is great to look thru everyones stats and see all the numbers and badges. Thanks to all who posted.
    Also interesting to know a little about the people behind the numbers.

I am fortunate to be on a team made up of such good people.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    Ahh sweet thread glad I found it!!

I'm Kevin, I'm 19 from central Alberta up here in Canada. I got into computers when I ventured to work with my Dad one day in the grade 9 "take your kid to work day" and what a mistake for him I started crunching years ago on my old P3's and on what used to be my best machine (P4 3.4ghz) I got into Rosetta because they were having what could be the equivalent of a "super computer week" and I thought hey this is cool. pretty much right after that the "incident" happened where by our Rosetta team was bashed by a few other teams for using the optimized clients. most of the crew came to WCG and ever since I have been hanging out here i have touched a little bit into F@H with some 8800's back in the day but I don't run them anymore because the parents have put a major block on how much power i use... I run GPUgrid on a GTX 460 in our media server and M@H on a 4850 at my work.

lucky for me i know work for my Dad's company running all of the retail operations for them. our company does large scale IT, software design, websites and since they employed me, retail computer service and custom gaming systems for all the locals...

I only run a handful of systems out of my house now as the parents are not to keen on the power bill but I do run a handful of machines at work here and a few at my church... overall the little has added up to allot overtime and in the top 3XX's all time points for WCG and of that I'm really proud considering I'm only 19...

i would like to share a little bit as to why i crunch though. back when I was about 3 I was diagnosed with leukemia. that lasted for a few years but lucky for me I have been Cancer free for who knows how long now

I would also like to say that I personally appreciate the work EVERY member does for the team no matter how large or small. I have been very blessed to have the resources (much of which has been donated) to do what I have done. but what it all comes down to is members doing what they can. like has been said limping along a P4 is just as good as a server farm of i7's if the motive and heart is the same.

nice to meet some of you
    First very glad the leukemia is history.

Second, great post, shows great attitude and maturity!
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 02-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Brag? Well... I've crunched more HCC, DDT2, and Beta WU's than Hypernova Oh... and In my first year of crunching I broke the project 100 in both points and WU's returned. And i've got a profile up on http://www.poppageek.com/mega-cruncher

XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

JLS
    Most of ya'll know me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bringin' it home!

Xtreme Cruncher
    And then there's Rammie's numbers

Not Yours!
    Age 42, married, two sons, a grandson(10 months old) and of course MY DOG
    Ok I got tricked into WCG by Dave's mail about supercomputer week last April and got hooked. I have 6 crunchers running at the moment, 5 of them watercooled and one of them is an SR-2 with MM's X5690 chips

So why do I crunch? Me and my youngest son(17 now) enjoy building pc's, watercooled of course, and OCing on what ever cooling we got like LN2, Dice or chilled water. Also love the friendly competition and the fact that this might help someone fighting cancer or some other illness in the future.

Fanboy of Good Products
    u.s. air force? i thought i saw your name on our team??
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

JLS
    I come and go
    Bringin' it home!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Rammie moves around a few teams, helps here often. You can read a little about him on my web site on the Mega-Cruncher page. Requires 100 million WCG points. 123bob moves around sometimes too. When both he and Rammie are here I get knocked out of the top 50 total RAC.
    I updated the stats on the page, hope I got them all.

@trn - I am impressed you manged to even get that many DDT2 WUs. If I get any at all it is only 3-5 at a time.

If I am to get 100 million I am going to have to replace some of my slower machines with BD or SB. Can't take more electric usage.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 02-02-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    @trn - I am impressed you manged to even get that many DDT2 WUs. If I get any at all it is only 3-5 at a time.
    I had to cheat a month or so when they started to (re)release batches of DDT2 WU's; I was tired of looking at a yellow mosquito surrounded by blues If the servers have WU's if their ques you can force a lot of WU's. If you set your profile to only DDT2 and turn off "send other projects if no work available" and then enable report results immediately then you will end up hammering the servers with request for only DDT2 WU's. Doing that I got enough WU's for a few years of run time in a few days

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Mega-Cruncher page. Requires 100 million WCG points.
    I'll get there... before I'm 30... hopefully...

Edit: One thing I can brag about though. Knowing these guys. =-P
    (and for those of you not on there - post up!)

If I am to get 100 million I am going to have to replace some of my slower machines with BD. Can't take more electric usage.
    Fixed that for ya my AMD friend.
    Last edited by Otis11; 02-02-2011 at 07:32 PM.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    Well let's see, currently I'm 21 years old going to university full-time (aka unemployed) studying computer engineering (a mix of EE and CS). I first started crunching F@H some years ago because I liked the concept and humanitarian nature of DC projects and, well, it just didn't make sense to leave a computer idle. Switched over to WCG around right before the first SC week due to some issues with the F@H client and decided to stay since I like the project variety WCG offers. Unfortunately due to being unemployed and recent electric bills I've had to cut crunching a lot so I'm kind of an "afk cruncher" for now

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    I'll get there... before I'm 30... hopefully...

Edit: One thing I can brag about though. Knowing these guys. =-P
    (and for those of you not on there - post up!)

Fixed that for ya my AMD friend.
    Yes I certainly do prefer BD and that will probably be what I get. But have not heard much on the power usage. SB seems to get alot done for a little juice.

@Red Maw There have been times I had to quit due to job and health issues. We do what we can When we can!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post
    I had to cheat a month or so when they started to (re)release batches of DDT2 WU's; I was tired of looking at a yellow mosquito surrounded by blues If the servers have WU's if their ques you can force a lot of WU's. If you set your profile to only DDT2 and turn off "send other projects if no work available" and then enable report results immediately then you will end up hammering the servers with request for only DDT2 WU's. Doing that I got enough WU's for a few years of run time in a few days
    Ssh! Don't tell everyone the secret! Then I won't get my sapphire badge before they run out of units .

Xtreme Cruncher
    David 50, do what I can when I can, with all the rising cost its getting harder and harder...

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm 37, maried, have 3 boys 5,2 and 3 months. I own a taxi company in a small town. Unlike most, I didn't get into building computers and overclocking until I was into my 30's. Just decided one day that I had had enough of the crap computers from the big box stores and set out to build my own! I dabbled a little with DC (SETI) way back in the day but never really took it seriously until I found WCG and then joining Team XS kicked it up another notch!

As you can see I like to contribute to all projects with a personal goal on 10 years runtime in each. Currently working on CEP2 and DDDT2.

i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well my name is Kody and I'm 19, Ive been crunching as much as I can since 08'. I am unemployed but I hope to get my A+ certification soon and maybe that will change things. Money problems and the like have had me go off the grid for up to 8 months at a time but we are back and stable again! I'm only running my main rig at the moment (1090t@3.2ghz) but soon I will have a e2140 and an Athlon dual core up as well. And maybe if Intel wants to RMA my blown Q6600 back I will have that up too. I mostly do HCC because Ive had quite a few family members pass because of cancer. But I also run a few others. My stats aren't that impressive but I am happy to be helping at all. I can't do much but I am proud of what I have done.

I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Xtreme Member
    Brag? Well... I've crunched more HCC, DDT2, and Beta WU's than Hypernova
    Ok. Ok.
    But if it is not a well guarded secret, what is your strategy to get those coveted DDDT2 WU's in large quantities.
    When my Solar System (very powerful gravitational field) catches just a few here and there I do somersaults. But at that rythm, Sapphire will be after my retirement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by EtaCarinae View Post
    Ok. Ok.
    But if it is not a well guarded secret, what is your strategy to get those coveted DDDT2 WU's in large quantities.
    When my Solar System (very powerful gravitational field) catches just a few here and there I do somersaults. But at that rythm, Sapphire will be after my retirement.
    I'LL NEVER TELL!!!!

Ok... look up about 6 post and I gave up my secret there

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trn View Post
    I'LL NEVER TELL!!!!

Ok... look up about 6 post and I gave up my secret there
    I did think about it long ago but never applied it, because as you know HPF2, C4CW and CEP2 are projects that bring problems to many of my machines. I have no control over which other project WU will be sent if DDDT2 is not available. Otherwise it is too much trouble to manage all rigs. Maybe I should give it a try only on Jupiter station that is the one I work daily on and so I can regularly check and reject WU's of projects that are not properly crunched. You are lucky to have all your machines running all projects without trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    i never realized how young most people are

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah... me too- mostly 19-23 years old.

12 people in their 20s (or 19) so far.

But that means our team is going to grow... college kids have more income once they graduate and get stable jobs.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
    i never realized how young most people are
    Yeah... me too- mostly 19-23 years old.

12 people in their 20s (or 19) so far.
    Ya know, I just might have to re-assess my opinion of you young folks. For the past few years, it's been along the lines of:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

... college kids have more income once they graduate and get stable jobs.
    My youngest is in college now. Can you to have a word with him...PLEASE?!?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast