Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

It seems to me the Intel 6Gbs ports are no loss to have to use. In fact, I probably should have hooked up to them to begin with anyway. Oh well, this is a non-issue now for me. This PC is fine on 6Gb SATA only, all my storage is done on the i7 920 rig anyway since it's got all the big drives in it.
    Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair 32Gb DDR4 3200, Asus X570 TUF, PNY RTX 3090 XLR8, Corsair MP600 Pro XT,, Corsair MP 600, Corsair Elite Capellex AIO, Corsair HX850i, Corsair Carbide 400, Viewsonic XG2703-GS 165h@1440p

Xtreme Rack Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Still showing those boards for me
    Shows up but won't let you order at least from newegg canada.

Rolf, SB has been effectively delayed with this news. I bet some scams will try to sell current SB boards for really high premium over on Ebay.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Addict
    yeah shows 1155 mb's but try to click on one it will direct to other socket mb's...plus the mb and chip i ordered last night did not move from charged it should have by now.
    here have a go
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=LGA%201155

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anandtech
    Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 1 & 2 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.
    My SSD and HDD are on SATA3 0 and 1 and my second HDD is on Marvell SATA3 1 so no worry here.
    But indeed is a mess for Intel.
    If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

Banned
    Lol, while not that bad, in a way sandybridge is postponed to april, so almost bulldozer time ;-) .
    For current users theres no worry if theyre just standard Joes, 2 ports is Okish.
    Although for me it would be a deal breaker, i use 7 sata ports (one is pata to sata bridge) and i use them a lot.

I just ordered a Maximus IV and a 2600k about an hour, could have been half an hour before this news broke.... they're both on their way now.

I don't know whether to return or wait for recall, either way, I'm pretty gutted.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
    Yeah, what do you do with all the existing stock?
    they will take back the boards, take the chips off the boards and put new chips back in. easy.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    or pee on'em and stock them and burn'em for AMD guys to circle around and do happy-dance.

ho :-)

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Banned
    AMD stock price should go up if market has any sense.It means less sandy sales and more amd sales.At least it should.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    they will take back the boards, take the chips off the boards and put new chips back in. easy.
    or send them to china recycling ehh dumping
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Let's clear this up.

The Jan 9th shipping date is listed due to NDA lift. No baords should have been sold before this. As such, this recall affects EVERY P6x-series board shipped to date. THis is not a batch flaw, it is a DESIGN FLAW so anyone who has a P60-series board will be affected

HOWEVER there are a number of things to remember:

- This issue is a GRADUAL degredation and is NOT fatal in any way.
    - It only affects the SATA ports which are serviced by the chipset. Any other ports which use a third party controller will function as normal
    - It affects NOTEBOOK, SERVER, etc products as well

Several board manufacturers have already issued notices to retailers which essentially require them to delist P6x-series motherboards. Intel's communication to their partners requires them to immediately stop shipments of said boards until revised chipsets can be integrated into products.

What about H67?
    -

Xtreme Addict
    Let see what will Mr. Will.I.Am have anything to say about it? Now bring on the jokes.

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Without saying, only MB manufacturers should know on what board are thoses chips ... personnally i will be allready glad if we can know what board numbers have thoses bad chips or not ( just for check ).

Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    Talked to Gigabyte support and they said that nothing is reported to them on this issue and they normally pick they're chipsets on high quality...i have my order comming tomorrow...

First good news of the day... thanks.
    give me a break please. gigabyte support doesn't even know about the problem yet.

all p67 boards are broken. all p67 board sales are being halted. all unsold boards will be recalled. all current owners will be offered free swaps when new boards are available.

intel will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to take care of this. but it will take months. in the mean time, if you own this stuff, it will still work.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    What about H67?
    Those seem to be deactivated on newegg also

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV666 View Post
    AMD stock price should go up if market has any sense.It means less sandy sales and more amd sales.At least it should.
    it did, but a prominent analyst also upgraded the stock for unrelated reasons. so you can't know why exactly it went up.

Xtreme Addict
    Keep your pants on, switch your SATA devices to the Sata 3 and non-Intel slots, and wait for your motherboard manufacturer's recall notice.

At least I'll stop sweating with upgrade fever every time I drive past Microcenter.

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    This why i wait at least 6 months before jumping on board anything new. Would be curious as to how it was discovered, by them or a consumer?
    Apparently it was reported by OEM costumers (not end users), and then after a few days Intel was able to reproduce the issue and found out what was wrong. At least according to Anandtech.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    I really don't understand that sentence. It reads to me that the Z68 may have the issue but they are shipping it to customers anyway
    Um, no. It says it won't affect the Z68 launch date.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbenator View Post
    At least I'll stop sweating with upgrade fever every time I drive past Microcenter.
    Now that's a positive approach!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    A quote from anandtech

On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by end users. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model. Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/i...-begins-recall

Doesn't this mean that after 3 years of usage there is about 5%-15% chance that the port will die ?

Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    give me a break please. gigabyte support doesn't even know about the problem yet.

all p67 boards are broken. all p67 board sales are being halted. all unsold boards will be recalled. all current owners will be offered free swaps when new boards are available.

intel will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to take care of this. but it will take months. in the mean time, if you own this stuff, it will still work.
    don't get mad man i just told ppl what giga told me either its good or bad or lie i post it here

cheers
    Sergio
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dartaz View Post
    Doesn't this mean that after 3 years of usage there is about %5-%15 chance that the port will die ?
    As I understand this, they mean die "completely". I suppose many more boards will experience lower performance to some degree.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    well some boards are showing again at ne,they just sent tracking numbers for the one i ordered last night.
    so i guess there has not been a recall cus you cant sell recalled stuff i dont think?

no... maybe that was the tylenol scare i'm thinking about?

Xtreme Addict
    Asus P8P67 boards are unavailable on Newegg I went to see a review I wrote.
    Sure I'll take a new board but it'll be a pain ripping to old one out to mail back (most likely that will be the requirement so they don't make it to a secondhand market).
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs down

Bloody Hell. Thankfully i decided to play it safe and build a lynfield box for work. I'm surprised people are downplaying this. It's a major up, up there with the div/0 bug
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast