Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

I am Xtreme
    Lol why people want to use the marvel controller for there ssd when the sata 3 controller/ports on the intel controller are fine... its only port 2-5 that probably will fail.

So if you only have 2 HDDs, connect them to the port 0-1, opticals on marvel and your fine till rma or whatever.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Lol why people want to use the marvel controller for there ssd when the sata 3 controller/ports on the intel controller are fine... its only port 2-5 that probably will fail.

So if you only have 2 HDDs, connect them to the port 0-1, opticals on marvel and your fine till rma or whatever.

my exact thoughts. that's what I'm doing as we speak. logical thinking ftw! There isn't much in this thread..

Also I don't understand why SB chips are being pulled? And for those hyping it..From what I read, H67 wasn't effected sooooo why not leave the chips out for sale with those boards?
    Last edited by Tenknics; 02-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

I was trying to figure that one out myself.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned

"The SATA6G_E1/E2(navy blue) connectors are for data drives only.ATAPI device is not supported" that's why

Xtreme Addict
    I'lll take option #2:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
    Last edited by LagunaX; 02-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

I am Xtreme
    lulz.. one of my fav aus etailers took all s1155 mobos down yesterday.. today they have them relisted; from their website:

"Sandybridge 1155 Motherboard update: We have been officially informed by Intel of a design flaw in the 6 Series B2 stepping chipset which, in the long run, may lead to degraded performance over time when using the SATA 2.0 ports. Those who are using the SATA 3.0 ports, or an expansion SATA card, should remain unaffected by this issue. Due to the nature of this issue, and because there is very little alternative 1156 stock available, we have made the 1155 motherboards available again. As always, should you experience any issues – you can rest assured that your motherboard is fully covered by a 3 year warranty. For those who wish to wait, we anticipate stock of the new revision 1155 boards will be arriving in April."

DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    I'm curious how Microcenter is going to handle this for those of us that bought our motherboard from them. Would be nice if they would handle the exchange instead of having to RMA the board, but I don't know if they will do what Newegg is doing and extend the return policy.
    Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Pro
    Processor - Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Ram - 4GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600
    Video Card - Galaxy GTX 460
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaX View Post
    I'lll take option #2:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
    I literally just got the same email from newegg. If they can figure out the simple work around, so can everyone else.

This just further verifies what I'm doing.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    "The SATA6G_E1/E2(navy blue) connectors are for data drives only.ATAPI device is not supported" that's why
    Not quite following what the problem is... hard drives are data drives, optical drives are ATAPI, which can fit in the Marvell controller.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaStA View Post
    I'm curious how Microcenter is going to handle this for those of us that bought our motherboard from them. Would be nice if they would handle the exchange instead of having to RMA the board, but I don't know if they will do what Newegg is doing and extend the return policy.
    I called Microcenter today (NJ) and the person I spoke with was not very helpful, had to check with someone else for a while and came back on the phone to say, yeah, read @ intel's webiste and get your answer or contact asus. I then asked about their NO REFUNDS policy and stated that this product was declared defective, then she said, fine, you can return it for a refund.
    This was my 1st purchase from Microcenter and hope they get their act together with this one!

Antec P180 SILVER
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe Bios 1602
    Intel Core I7 2600K @ 4.8ghz 1.295V Manual 24/7
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    OCZ 700W PSU
    4X2GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
    Seagate 1TB Samsung 1TB (X3)
    MSI Radeon HD 5850
    WINDOWS 7 PRO X64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orion23 View Post
    I called Microcenter today (NJ) and the person I spoke with was not very helpful, had to check with someone else for a while and came back on the phone to say, yeah, read @ intel's webiste and get your answer or contact asus. I then asked about their NO REFUNDS policy and stated that this product was declared defective, then she said, fine, you can return it for a refund.
    This was my 1st purchase from Microcenter and hope they get their act together with this one!
    Well if I were to take my motherboard back for a refund then I would want my processor refunded as well. I still have a Core 2 Duo system built, but my girlfriend uses it for work. I guess I'll just ride this out and get a replacement when they come out. Hopefully Microcenter allows us to exchange them when the new ones come out or ASUS will do advance RMA's. We shall see...
    Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Pro
    Processor - Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Ram - 4GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600
    Video Card - Galaxy GTX 460
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, gonna wait for option 2.
    In the meanwhile on my Asus P8P67:
    Boot SATA Velociraptor and 2TB storage drive on Intel 6gb SATA 0-1
    2 DVD Optical on Marvel 6gb SaTA ports.
    eSATA unused which I rarely use anyways.
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    Talked to Gigabyte support and they said that nothing is reported to them on this issue and they normally pick they're chipsets on high quality...i have my order comming tomorrow...
    Quote Originally Posted by andressergio View Post
    don't get mad man i just told ppl what giga told me either its good or bad or lie i post it here

cheers
    Sergio
    I spoke to my Gigabyte marketing rep today and she told me not to post my review yet due to the P67 recall, prior to this I had not heard of any issues with the P67. She sent me emails detailing what the issues were and that it was a recall across the entire product line.
    Team XS WCG. Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us STRONGER!

Q9400 @ 3.80ghz | Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme |Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R | 2gb G.Skill DDR2-800 @ 1040 | 2x WD Velociraptor in RAID 0 | 1tb WD SATA | Gigabyte GTX 260 896mb | Seasonic M12 700w
    E8400 @ 4.05ghz | Scythe Infinity |GA-G33M-DS2R | 2gb G.Skill DDR2-800 @ 900 | 2x Raptor 74gb in RAID 0 | eVGA 8800GTSC 512mb |OCZ PowerSteam 520w
    QX6700 | Coolermaster HSF | GA-P35-DS3R | Team Xtreem D9 2gb | 1x 160gb WD HDD 4x WD Caviar Black HDD in RAID 5 | ATi 9200SE AIW | PCP&C Silencer 750w
    XPS M1330 Laptop | T7500 2.2ghz/4mb/800 | 3gb DDR2 667 | 250gb SATA | 8400M GS 128mb

FOLD FOR WCG!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look at your motherboard manual, it might say this (Marvell SATA III (6 Gbps) controller it is not meant for optical drives, only data drives.)
    So optical drives should work IMHO as it say`s not meant instead of not working for optical drives

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    Look at your motherboard manual, it might say this (Marvell SATA III (6 Gbps) controller it is not meant for optical drives, only data drives.)
    So optical drives should work IMHO as it say`s not meant instead of not working for optical drives

"The SATA6G_E1/E2(navy blue) connectors are for data drives only.ATAPI device is not supported"
    and where you think i quote this from ?

Xtreme Guru
    and people are saying to connect the ports 0 and 1 to certain devices and then putting the others on teh Marvell. ports 0 and 1 are marvell. no 3gb/s ports work.(well at least, apparently )
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by andressergio;
    Talked to Gigabyte support and they said that nothing is reported to them on this issue and they normally pick they're chipsets on high quality...i have my order comming tomorrow...
    This quite obviously makes no sense.

There is no "highest quality" here. Standard chipsets. They do not bin or test them to determine if any are better.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    I see where his problem is, both the Marvell and Jmicron do not support ATAPI...

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...2YL&templete=2 (see specification sheet)

I still don't think this will be a problem, simply use the 'bad' ports until the RMA process is settled. This issue is not about dysfunctional SATA ports straight out of the factory, rather a mortality rate higher than normal. It would probably take much over a month or two before it became an issue anyway.

When the RMA process is announced, just send the board back and plug in the new one.
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well the asus p8p67 deluxe has 6 6gb sata ports so im good to go then when my board arrives on thursday. was pissed at first when i seen the email but now not so much lol
    cpu: 2600k@ 4.5ghz
    mobo: asus p8p67 deluxe
    ram: gskill ripjaw x F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
    gfx: gigabyte gtx460
    psu:corsair 520hx
    case: antec 900
    cpu cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B

500mhz cas 3 club: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=235630
    p4 511 2.8ghz@ 5004mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=124434
    p4 541 3.2ghz@ 4909mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=157470

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so are we gonna get to use are boards until the new ones come out and then we can send them back or do have to send them back right away and sit here with the rest of my new computer with no motherboard for months?
    cpu: 2600k@ 4.5ghz
    mobo: asus p8p67 deluxe
    ram: gskill ripjaw x F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
    gfx: gigabyte gtx460
    psu:corsair 520hx
    case: antec 900
    cpu cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B

500mhz cas 3 club: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=235630
    p4 511 2.8ghz@ 5004mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=124434
    p4 541 3.2ghz@ 4909mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=157470

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I see where his problem is, both the Marvell and Jmicron do not support ATAPI...

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...2YL&templete=2 (see specification sheet)

I still don't think this will be a problem, simply use the 'bad' ports until the RMA process is settled. This issue is not about dysfunctional SATA ports straight out of the factory, rather a mortality rate higher than normal. It would probably take much over a month or two before it became an issue anyway.

When the RMA process is announced, just send the board back and plug in the new one.
    dude it's not a problem all i'm saying is.. it sucks that i can't use Marvell for my optic drive (have box copy BFB2 ,that's all i play lately )
    I can deal with 10 sec SSD delay on start up for the next 2 months

So can you sit on your Sandy Bridge motherboard and wait for Z68 to come out in April and get your money back then?
    INTEL CORE i7-10700K
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
    CORSAIR DDR4 3200 32GB
    MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 8GB
    SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 65 TV
    DARK BASE PRO 900 REV2
    DARK ROCK 4 HEATSINK
    SEASONIC PRIME 750W
    SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB
    CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB
    ADATA HD770G 1TB
    SENNHEISER HD598
    LOGITECH Z-5500
    LOGITECH K800
    ASUS RT-AC88U
    DEATHADDER

Still no Asus statement on the matter. Sad face.

Xtreme Mentor
    dude it's not a problem all i'm saying is.. it sucks that i can't use Marvell for my optic drive (have box copy BFB2 ,that's all i play lately )
    The whole situation sux badly. It sux for people who want to get SB but can't (this turns SB into a paper launch IMHO), and it sux worse for people who got the systems together before the recall.

Yeah, I misread your mood/post. I guess my point was just use the Sata 3G ports, they won't go bad over night.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    did you see where this person is using the Marvell for his optic drive?
    So it seems they do work on some boards

Quote from LagunaX....In the meanwhile on my Asus P8P67:
    Boot SATA Velociraptor and 2TB storage drive on Intel 6gb SATA 0-1
    2 DVD Optical on Marvel 6gb SaTA ports.
    eSATA unused which I rarely use anyways.
    Last edited by dctokyo; 02-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast