Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

Xtreme Addict
    I guess you guys running crossfire/sli will likely see any potential problem first. My UD5 & 2 X 3870X2's need 1.14v PCH to work properly so newer more powerful cards or 3 cards will likely mean more PCH

Home / Play Rig Asrock Z87 OC Formula/AC, i7 4770K L310B487, 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 CL10, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU, 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Sata Drives Mirrored, Palit 680GTX JetStream, Antec Kuhler 920, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech LX700 Deskset, AOC 27" Monitor.

Work 24/7 Rig Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force, i7 4790K L418C133 ,8GB Team Xtreem LV 2600, PC Power & Cooling 850WPSU, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 2 x 500GB Hitachi Sata Drives Mirrored, Antec Kuhler 620, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Logitech LX700 Deskset, Benq 27" Monitor.

Home NAS DFI P35 T2RL Motherboard, Intel E6850 CPU, 8GB Nanya DDR2 6400, 2X 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 SATA Drives, ZFS RAID Mirror On Intel ICH9 AHCI, Artic Blue 850W PSU, Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet, FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 RC, 64-Bit On 4GB USB2 SanDisk Cruizer Blade Thumb Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    I still get FULL performance and no bug, unlike your little TLB bug that there was no escape from.
    For the record, the TLB problem was never shown to cause crashes in the real world outside of people explicitly trying to trigger a TLB related crash. However, when something like that is widely known it gets blamed for EVERYTHING that ever goes wrong with a system from Joe Random's 5.2 GHz overclock triggering a BSOD to an nVidia GPU driver related crash.

Come on. He's just trolling. Don't take the bait.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Don't you wish. AMD fanboys are hooping and hollering, but the funiest part? I still get FULL performance and no bug, unlike your little TLB bug that there was no escape from. A simple little port change, and I'm all good with zero problems AND enjoying performance you won't have even a shadow of until Bulldozer, and even then you'll be lucky to come close to catching up :p
    no escape lol - it was prevalent only in VM enviroments. Just take the picture as a funny stab and not personally.

Quote Originally Posted by thematrixhazune View Post
    no escape lol - it was prevalent only in VM enviroments. Just take the picture as a funny stab and not personally.
    Some people can't.
    For what it's worth, my brother is using a TLB-affected 9600BE and has had no issues, even when running XP mode in win7.

But TLB - and AMD - have nothing to do with the topic of the thread...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    For the record, the TLB problem was never shown to cause crashes in the real world outside of people explicitly trying to trigger a TLB related crash. However, when something like that is widely known it gets blamed for EVERYTHING that ever goes wrong with a system from Joe Random's 5.2 GHz overclock triggering a BSOD to an nVidia GPU driver related crash.

Come on. He's just trolling. Don't take the bait.
    Good call on not taking bait. Just irritated at opportunistic fanbois who've never even seen the performance I have taking cheap shots. It's Sour Grapes, pure and simple. But while they whine and cry, I'm still enjoying 100% stable, pure power they won't get even when Bulldozer does launch.

Don't get me wrong though, I still fully intend to get one to play with for myself an make my own mind up on, but AMD has lost my faith in it's ability to execute on CPUs. I miss the K8 days

But I don't miss my Sandy Bridge, it's staying, darnit!
    Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair 32Gb DDR4 3200, Asus X570 TUF, PNY RTX 3090 XLR8, Corsair MP600 Pro XT,, Corsair MP 600, Corsair Elite Capellex AIO, Corsair HX850i, Corsair Carbide 400, Viewsonic XG2703-GS 165h@1440p

Xtreme Addict
    So can you RMA the board even without explicit problems?

And is there a way to induce the problem to ensure an RMA?

I have not got one, but I would be trying to return it as soon as a replacement is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Colombian OCer
    So there is ono oficial words about Laptops?. i just bough my SandyBridge based Notebook and im dissapointed because the fix here is not as easy as plug in other connector.
    MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 Latam Champion / Gigabyte GOOC 2010 Latin America finals Champion

Xtreme Addict
    It effects ALL Sandy Bridge chipsets so far. Including your laptop.

And I was going to buy one too... guess I will wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Good call on not taking bait. Just irritated at opportunistic fanbois who've never even seen the performance I have taking cheap shots. It's Sour Grapes, pure and simple. But while they whine and cry, I'm still enjoying 100% stable, pure power they won't get even when Bulldozer does launch.

Don't get me wrong though, I still fully intend to get one to play with for myself an make my own mind up on, but AMD has lost my faith in it's ability to execute on CPUs. I miss the K8 days

But when you make comments like that, you also come across as a fanboy too. It does go both ways. Just saying.

However let's not turn this thread into any stupid AMD vs Intel nonsense. AMD has NO bearing on anything going on with this.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    This is not the end for SB.

Those who have MB will get a replacement, hopefully a Z68, LOL.
    The problem is identified and the fix will be out too. We can consider this as a 3-mounts delay for SB. I don't think Bulldozer can make a grand slam out of this delay.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_oslo View Post
    This is not the end for SB.

Those who have MB will get a replacement, hopefully a Z68, LOL.
    The problem is identified and the fix will be out too. We can consider this as a 3-mounts delay for SB. I don't think Bulldozer can make a grand slam out of this delay.
    If BD can make a grand slam, even without this error, BD can make it.
    If BD is overhyped, this error cannot save AMD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    It effects ALL Sandy Bridge chipsets so far. Including your laptop.

And I was going to buy one too... guess I will wait.
    Even then its more likely that other components fail before the SB.
    If you read the last staetments they said, the over the next 3 years the failure rate will increase by 5% and the longer past that you use it, the higher it will get.

Its 2 times more likely that your 2GB WD caviar black fails or 2-3 times that your ram fials then your sata port on the P/H67 if we go by pure numbers.

I didn't see someone made a big fuss about the 10% RMA rate of the caviar black...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Even then its more likely that other components fail before the SB.
    If you read the last staetments they said, the over the next 3 years the failure rate will increase by 5% and the longer past that you use it, the higher it will get.

Its 2 times more likely that your 2GB WD caviar black fails or 2-3 times that your ram fials then your sata port on the P/H67 if we go by pure numbers.

I didn't see someone made a big fuss about the 10% RMA rate of the caviar black...
    but i think the problem is far more severe than 10% rma

if oem can stress the sata controllers and they fail in unusual rate after 3 weeks, i don't think the rma rate is only 5-15% after 3 years.

Xtreme Member
    Ok,
    So I just had my UD7 die on me (unrelated as far as I can tell to this issue, I think i have a corrupted BIOS). What I am now wondering is how long it will take for me to get a replacement motherboard since they are no longer selling them. I am returning the board to my retailer but this is my only machine right now and I am seeing some people mention end of April
    Thermalright Venemous-X
    I7 2600K
    P67-UD7
    G.SKILL PI 2 x 2GB 2133 (F3-17066CL7D-4GBPIS)
    2xHIS 6950
    Intel X-25M 160GB SSD
    3x640GB WD Black Raid 0
    2x1TB WD Green
    Seasonic 750w
    Corsair 800D

Xtreme Addict
    So summing up:
    1_Socket Burn
    2_SATA Degrade
    3_And if you have a Maximus IV Extreme USB doesn't work under heavy OC as written in this review
    Nice fail this P6x chipsets
    Last edited by SubZero.it; 02-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post

if oem can stress the sata controllers and they fail in unusual rate after 3 weeks, i don't think the rma rate is only 5-15% after 3 years.
    i agree with this
    if degradation can be seen in a few weeks, then it begs the question of how much time their really is.

and what is normal expected usage? what kind of drain does a gamer use vs a media person, vs someone who does constant backups of their drives.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    guess who else is not happy with this bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yEQSX4biR4

Haha excellent, another parity with der untergang.
    I liked the gta4 parity.
    It should of said stalin had an amd... lol.
    Good find.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.McRuff View Post
    ^This

Planning on doing it myself, still figuring out how to test stability. (defently gotta double check everything else is 100% stable)

If memory is right, had x58 SB running at 1v with out any trouble for 4 months.
    I tried dropping it to 0.75V on P8P67 and got no POST despite only having a DVD ROM hanging off the PCH.

Nevermind, I heard from a major motherboard manufacturer saying they are doing a full blown recall and from what I've heard MSI are heading in the same direction. Should keep me busy for a while.
    Last edited by initialised; 02-01-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

I've always hated using the 3rd party storage systems on motherboards but it looks like I'll have no choice now...

I'm hoping they do a full recall as I don't want to play a guessing game about when my ports will fail.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post

But the OEMs are probably doing accelerated stress testing with increased heat and voltage to simulate years of normal stress. If the controllers were degrading in a few weeks after normal use, I think Intel would have caught it with their normal tests

Xtreme Addict
    Don't you wish. AMD fanboys are hooping and hollering, but the funiest part? I still get FULL performance and no bug, unlike your little TLB bug that there was no escape from. A simple little port change, and I'm all good with zero problems AND enjoying performance you won't have even a shadow of until Bulldozer, and even then you'll be lucky to come close to catching up :p
    If after all this thread and all have came out you can say NO bug...just meh
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Quote Originally Posted by accord99 View Post
    But the OEMs are probably doing accelerated stress testing with increased heat and voltage to simulate years of normal stress. If the controllers were degrading in a few weeks after normal use, I think Intel would have caught it with their normal tests
    This is correct. They are using artificially temperature inflated testing using "oven testing", where air flow is cut off and extra component heat is heavily simulated.
    Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair 32Gb DDR4 3200, Asus X570 TUF, PNY RTX 3090 XLR8, Corsair MP600 Pro XT,, Corsair MP 600, Corsair Elite Capellex AIO, Corsair HX850i, Corsair Carbide 400, Viewsonic XG2703-GS 165h@1440p

Xtreme Addict
    @SubZero.it
    That's probably because some people stress systems more then others.

@accord99
    Intel should of caught this with there testing...
    It's obvious they plug the chip in, run a simple set of functionality tests and say it's all good to start mass producing.

Edit:
    Jeez what is up with the slowmo srv today.
    Got a db error a min ago.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-01-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kattivo View Post
    I've always hated using the 3rd party storage systems on motherboards but it looks like I'll have no choice now...

I'm hoping they do a full recall as I don't want to play a guessing game about when my ports will fail.
    Agreed, I always prefer native. Don't worry, as far as I know *insert board vendors name here* will terminate shipments, ask vendors, system builders etc to return un used products and ask users who already have affected products to wait until the replacements are ready then RMA the board.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

But two processor failures (Pentium bug, PentiumIII 1.13 Ghz recall) and now two chipset recalls (915G/P & 925X, now 6 series) from Intel don't disturb your faith. Not a fanboy at all

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast