Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    I'm building this for a customer who would NEVER know the difference between his 3 GB/s HDD plugged into a 3rd party sata controller or Intel's native controller, like most people out there. Maybe I'm just lucky with my usage scenario, having only 3 sata devices but I dont really see this as a big of deal as everyone is making it out to be.
    I wouldn't want to be your customer. Sure, I know what's going on, and he might not, but it is messed up to build and sell a PC to someone with known defective and malfunctioning components. At least be up front with him, tell him what is going on, and when there are replacement boards available send it in and get his board swapped for him.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by ReKcOlNu View Post
    Some people are just blinded fan boys or don't want to accept the truth that what they just bought is broken so they'll make up any excuse to somehow make it all seem OK, like just buy a cheap raid card I feel sorry for these folks. This stuff happens. My rule is never buy any new tech until its been out on the market for at least 3 months.
    I'll be trading mine up for a Z68 but it really isn't the big deal you are making out, I haven't used the affected ports from day one and never will.

As for new tech some like yourself wait for a movie to come to DVD.. and others like going to the movies.
    INTEL CORE i7-10700K
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
    CORSAIR DDR4 3200 32GB
    MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 8GB
    SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 65 TV
    DARK BASE PRO 900 REV2
    DARK ROCK 4 HEATSINK
    SEASONIC PRIME 750W
    SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB
    CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB
    ADATA HD770G 1TB
    SENNHEISER HD598
    LOGITECH Z-5500
    LOGITECH K800
    ASUS RT-AC88U
    DEATHADDER

c[_]
    You guys are assuming the malfunctioning SATA controllers will never cause stability problems at all. I wouldnt be hedging systems on that.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    What a SLEAZE BAG! Sure would like to know your customer and inform him that he's about to get screwed...

I agree. That's why I determined it wasn't the end of the world, for me. I'm going to build it anyway and let the customer use the system now (as he needs it ASAP), as he won't be affected in any way. And when the time comes out for replacement, I will still get one. It's win/win.

The SB system will still work 100% and be completely functional - and then in 2 months I get a brand new motherboard, perhaps maybe a free upgrade to Z.

Asus P8P67-M Pro - Bios 413
    i7-2600K LO41C106
    Cooler Master V8 - Antec 180 Mini
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Sissy OC - 4.6 @ 1.3175 24/7 | 18' Idle - 55' Load
    Windows 7 MS Is Getting Better...

Personal Site!

Quote Originally Posted by godsfist View Post
    The great crash of 29 and the depression started with one stock being sold off, it's always best to be careful.
    Hardly friend. Free markets should never be manipulated, the problem is the manipulation is not fair to or can be utilized by all, so nobody should be able to do it.

If you feel the market is so fragile that a justfiable knee jerk selloff of Intel stock to a chipset design flaw will bring it all crashing down, then you have nailed the real problem, the market is a house of cards. It would have been a perfect opportunity for sensible investors to make a buck by getting a bit of a discount buy knowing that Intel will easily recover from the flaw. All the market did was protect one of its big boys which it won't or can't do for everyone else.
    QuagsQube: i7-980x / SLi GTX680 / Rampage III Formula / 6GB PC12800 / AX1200 / U2-UFO Case / RealSSD C300 128GB / X25m G2 80GB / 6010x1080 res / Watercooled
    Laptop: G73JH-A1

Xtreme Member
    Three words: Class Action Lawsuit. Intel is trying to get one step ahead of a big one here.

This is a HUGE problem, and if Intel is willing to spend $700M to fix the problem, (see, http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326) then they are lying to you when they say that only 15% of the chipsets will be affected by the defect. Let's be real here: 100% of the chipsets are bad, and they are bad because they were designed bad. Shame on Intel for trying to put lipstick on this pig. By their own admission, it's a design flaw, meaning that it will show up in in every single H67 and P67 chipset, not in just 15%. That 15% figure is some PR schpritzen meant to distract you from the turd they laid. Well, w/e, I'm so disappointed with Sandy Bridge that I all I can do now is console myself with some juicy 100% meat-filled tacos at T4co B3ll. I need some yummy for my tummy. "Yo quiero de carne de perro!"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eth0s View Post
    Three words: Class Action Lawsuit. Intel is trying to get one step ahead of a big one here.

This is a HUGE problem, and if Intel is willing to spend $700M to fix the problem, (see, http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326) then they are lying to you when they say that only 15% of the chipsets will be affected by the defect. Let's be real here: 100% of the chipsets are bad, and they are bad because they were designed bad. Shame on Intel for trying to put lipstick on this pig. By their own admission, it's a design flaw, meaning that it will show up in in every single H67 and P67 chipset, not in just 15%. That 15% figure is some PR schpritzen meant to distract you from the turd they laid. Well, w/e, I'm so disappointed with Sandy Bridge that I all I can do now is console myself with some juicy 100% meat-filled tacos at T4co B3ll. I need some yummy for my tummy. "Yo quiero de carne de perro!"
    I don't want to admit it, because I've bought into the sandybridge hype (literally), but I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire LXIX View Post
    Hardly friend. Free markets should never be manipulated, the problem is the manipulation is not fair to or can be utilized by all, so nobody should be able to do it.
    Yeah but you know.. welcome to Earth.
    INTEL CORE i7-10700K
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
    CORSAIR DDR4 3200 32GB
    MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 8GB
    SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 65 TV
    DARK BASE PRO 900 REV2
    DARK ROCK 4 HEATSINK
    SEASONIC PRIME 750W
    SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB
    CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB
    ADATA HD770G 1TB
    SENNHEISER HD598
    LOGITECH Z-5500
    LOGITECH K800
    ASUS RT-AC88U
    DEATHADDER

Xtreme Member
    Bend over and take it like a BETA TESTERS !

Thats what Intel said.
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Member
    Are you guys kidding me? You are all drama queens. The only reason I said customer because the person isn't me but my roomate. And Im getting some beer out of it.

"Hey Dave, I can't plug in your 2TB in Sata port 3, 4, 5 or 6. Only 1 and 0. It will still function completely normal, do you want me to return everything even though you need your system for work yesterday?"

Dave: "huh what sata what? will it work normally?"

Me: "Yes, 100%. And when the problem is fixed, we get a brand new board in 2 months"

Dave: "why are you wasting my time telling me this?"

Happy guys? this is hilarious!

Before you starting calling me names and assuming I'm an evil person, read the facts. Crap you guys are rediculous.

It's either he has no system at all, or a perfectly functioning one.

OMG IM BUILDING HIIM A TIME BOMB! FREAK OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReKcOlNu View Post
    +1
    Some people are just blinded fan boys or don't want to accept the truth that what they just bought is broken so they'll make up any excuse to somehow make it all seem OK, like just buy a cheap raid card I feel sorry for these folks. This stuff happens. My rule is never buy any new tech until its been out on the market for at least 3 months.

You're the blind fan boy who doesn't read anything. If I'm not going to be plugging into the defective part of the chipset, then it will have no problems. You need to accept the truth and as they arent excuses but they are fact. I have 8 sata ports on my board. 4 are affected... Pretty easy to avoid any problems considering I have 3 sata devices. Do the math..But keep telling me how messed up my system is going to be...lol...

Sad how this new section is over run by noobs who make assumptions and go strait to insults and condescending posts before they know the facts.

Lipstick on this pig? Are you kidding me? hahaha Wow...the over dramatic comments continue...now from Sarah Palin..
    Last edited by Tenknics; 02-01-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Member
    You are actually safe if:

1) Your devices are only connected to sata2 port 0 and 1. Series 6 chipset support 6 sata2 ports and port 2/3/4/5 are the one with problems.
    2) Your devices are connected to sata3 ports which are not affected, be it intel controller or 3rd party.
    3) Your devices are connected to a 3rd party controller.

You are screwed if:

1) Yours devices are connected to sata2 port 2/3/4/5.

I still advise a rma if possible.
    i7 4770 | 24GB | Z87 Mpower | 1070FE | 512GB/1TB/2TB | WiNDy FC500 | 2713hm | 2.0 | 650w

Xtreme Member
    Why did you tell him man ?! This way when he gets you mad you can secretly plug his OS HDD to one of the affected SATA ports and he will beg you for help afterward.
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiv View Post
    Why did you tell him man ?! This way when he gets you mad you can secretly plug his OS HDD to one of the affected SATA ports and he will beg you for help afterward.
    Haha nice one...I like where your head is at. Unfortunately after I build it, (and then when the eventual RMA comes) I want to work on it as little as possible..Dont wanna sabatoge it hehe..

I'm sure you know, once you do someone a tech favor, they expect it forever and for free too..
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Cruncher
    Here are the 3 situations:

blah blah

3) you're just a drama queen looking for attention and an excuse to bash Intel and make a mountain of a molehill
    So, Intel is a big raging drama queen looking for attention huh? Calling all these chips back and replacing them with good ones.

Quick someone call them and make sure they don't repair this blunder because there is a workaround according to Tenknics.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_oslo View Post
    Intel's biggest chipset-failure was when they couldn't deliver a chipset that could both OC and use the IGP. They got away buy going for H67
    Wasn't that particular chipset you are referring too in the pipeline from the start ? To release it all at the same time might have been considered to be a bad marketing strategy ? Intel has got a chipset/platform for each market/segment and they just release it when they want. Maybe just holding off to tease AMD some more... (I really hoep the latter is gonna impress me at CeBIT or such)

This thread is so amusing, as it is again totally growing out of proportion... especially for the AMD trolls this is pure fun... be my guest and buy ya AMD platform, it has issues too... all hardware got issues/bugs/etc... unless you live with ya head in the clouds...

A solution is in the making. Most users won't even notice it as most will only have a few HD's attached to the board... it's the assemblers job to get the parts hooked up right... and even then...

Time to be honest now :

Anyone already experienced these performance degredation issues ? How bad is it ? Does the board go down in the long run ? Does it make casualties regarding the HD/SSD's ? Does it corrupt the data ?

Is everybody aware that all CPU's have got bugs/issues too ? Ever experienced those ?

I'm gonna hook up my HD's just for fun on the concerned ports, if it goes down I'll RMA the board... simple as that...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 02-01-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

At least Intel is taking responsibility , issuing recalls , trying to clean up somehow this big pile of dudu .
    I am the HAPPY owner of a mobo with 790i chipset ( S2E ) . ALL these motherboards have been plagued with SATA issues , defective MCP ( south bridge )from day one . What has Nvidia done about it ... they've squat .
    Sure , many BIOS versions latter , using only Microsoft drivers etc have alleviated the problem , but it was never cured .
    The only way I could correct the issue is taking out the 2 Nvidia graphic cards , installing in the two X16 slots that are coming of the SPP ( North bridge ) a 6950 ( 6970 ) and a Asus U3S6 board ( 2 SATA + 2 USB3 controller ) leaving the south bridge with more pedestrian duties : mouse , keyboard etc .
    Anyway , I'm fed up with Nvidia AND Intel , I'm waiting for bulldozer ..

Xtreme Addict
    AMD fanboys are actually not really the ones blowing this out of proportion. You can see some of the current SB owners giving their two cents as well, negative or not.

Anyways I don't think Intel would be harmed that much by this issue, publicity-wise.

Xtreme Addict
    So this is just the SATA II ports hooked up to the PCH yes?

Would it be safe to assume that a system with all SSD/HDD hooked up to separate SATA controllers would be OK?
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v0dka View Post
    So, Intel is a big raging drama queen looking for attention huh? Calling all these chips back and replacing them with good ones.

Quick someone call them and make sure they don't repair this blunder because there is a workaround according to Tenknics.
    You missed the point completely guy. Reading comprehension and logic is needed before trying to make an insult. You fail.

I was referring to people on the board, not Intel.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    So this is just the SATA II ports hooked up to the PCH yes?

Would it be safe to assume that a system with all SSD/HDD hooked up to separate SATA controllers would be OK?
    Yes I've been saying this all day but apparently its cooler to jump on the wagon and spread doom and gloom!!

Dude, you're mobo is going to blow up if you use it! RMA QUICK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Wasn't that particular chipset you are referring too in the pipeline from the start ? To release it all at the same time might have been considered to be a bad marketing strategy ? Intel has got a chipset/platform for each market/segment and they just release it when they want. Maybe just holding off to tease AMD some more... (I really hoep the latter is gonna impress me at CeBIT or such)

This thread is so amusing, as it is again totally growing out of proportion... especially for the AMD trolls this is pure fun... be my guest and buy ya AMD platform, it has issues too... all hardware got issues/bugs/etc... unless you live with ya head in the clouds...

A solution is in the making. Most users won't even notice it as most will only have a few HD's attached to the board... it's the assemblers job to get the parts hooked up right... and even then...

Time to be honest now :

Anyone already experienced these performance degredation issues ? How bad is it ? Does the board go down in the long run ? Does it make casualties regarding the HD/SSD's ? Does it corrupt the data ?

Is everybody aware that all CPU's have got bugs/issues too ? Ever experienced those ?

I'm gonna hook up my HD's just for fun on the concerned ports, if it goes down I'll RMA the board... simple as that...

Finally something constructive and logical.
    I'm going to build my SandyB system tomorrow. And it will function 100% properly and be awesome for the foreseeable future. All the while the queens will still be posting hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Just got a phonecall from my Asus tech rep, expecting sort of an official statement later today

Cool. Share any info as soon as you get it. I have an Asus mobo too. My guess it they will say to use the 2x6GB/s on the intel controller and the 2x6GB/s on the Marvel controller. And if that isn't sufficient, you can rma no prob. Either way, I'm sure we'll be fine.
    Last edited by Tenknics; 02-01-2011 at 02:09 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Just got a phonecall from my Asus tech rep, expecting sort of an official statement later today
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

This is just pathetic, how could Intel do something so stupid that could affect the entire company and their customers? At least they acknowleged the issue.

At least I still have my trusty 1366/X58 platform, thank god I did not sell it yet (Wasn't even planning to sell it until 2011 came out), I hope Gigabyte or whoever will find a solution to this since I bought a 1155 setup not too long ago.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Enthusiast
    guess who else is not happy with this bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yEQSX4biR4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    At least I still have my trusty 1366/X58 platform, thank god I did not sell it yet (Wasn't even planning to sell it until 2011 came out), I hope Gigabyte or whoever will find a solution to this since I bought a 1155 setup not too long ago.
    Its a physical error in the chip, gigabyte cant do anything about it, you will have to have the board exchanged.Around end of march/start of april.For now make sure you dont use sata2 2/3/4/5 ports coming of southbridge.

Xtreme Addict
    Well at least this will stop the insane levels of price gouging going on in AU for everything 1155
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast