Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Mayhem - First WC Build (Lian Li A05NB)

Xtreme Member
    Forum is for discussing ideas (related to subject), it is far more boring if worklong contains only pictures posted by author and in average one sentence per post comments how awsome his work is, really. Plus I have nothing else to add so "OT" is over anyway, hope my ideas will just put some more light on rad mounting options in that particular case.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    Forum is for discussing ideas (related to subject), it is far more boring if worklong contains only pictures posted by author and in average one sentence per post comments how awsome his work is, really. Plus I have nothing else to add so "OT" is over anyway, hope my ideas will just put some more light on rad mounting options in that particular case.
    Talk about jumping the gun!!!
    My point was a few of us might like a thread on this topic/case!!!

On topic: I can not wait to see the finished project

Xtreme Member
    *SNIP*

disadvantages:

- lack of reservoir (no room, but it isn't really a problem, one extra tube hidden behind 5,25'' bays as fillport)
    - rear radiator fan needs to be outside of the case, not enough room inside (there is room, but imo looks worse, covers way too much of motherboard)
    - lack of ventilation on top of the case (imo irrelevant, gpus are watercooled)
    you can use microres swiftech and mount it at the other side of psu, and are you sure that the rear gpu not gonna fit in inside the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrafluorometh View Post
    With the right mods it can be done. I seen one with 360, 240 and 120 in there! Thats mental. Full ATX board.

2.5'' std drives stick in easy places, ssd is now cheap
    you probably going to see dual 360 + 120 in this case in next couple of days/week(still have one unused 120 rads )
    dual 360 rads on lianli A05NB worklog : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=259066

Quote Originally Posted by hillywav View Post
    you probably going to see dual 360 + 120 in this case in next couple of days/week(still have one unused 120 rads )
    noooooooo I must find a way of fitting another dual rad in there... /s

I look forward to seeing that if you manage it but for my build I really want all the cooling to be internal, again I am using what I feel is necessary not trying to fit as much as possible in there.

@ aerial I have considered a vast number of radiator configurations and for my build this is the best solution for me

have not decided on the colour of my loop its between swiftech hydrx (uv green) or feser one (uv blue) would realy like some opinions on this and if chipset cooling is essential or not...

I will try to get some more pics up later today

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyco View Post
    have not decided on the colour of my loop its between swiftech hydrx (uv green) or feser one (uv blue) would realy like some opinions on this and if chipset cooling is essential or not...
    IMO UV Blue...
    Chipset cooling normal not needed (Just for looks), In a limited amount of builds/cases yes it does help, In your case with the airflow and amount of hardware it just might not be to bad of an idea

Although it will add some more tubing to your build

Just my 2cents!!! I know what my temps are using the same case and if I could add a chipset block I most likely would. LOL

Xtreme Member
    noooooooo I must find a way of fitting another dual rad in there... /s

I look forward to seeing that if you manage it but for my build I really want all the cooling to be internal, again I am using what I feel is necessary not trying to fit as much as possible in there.

@ aerial I have considered a vast number of radiator configurations and for my build this is the best solution for me

I will try to get some more pics up later today
    ufft feser one, donotwant
    you probably wanna see snipe dog thread about his loop filled with feser

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy V View Post
    IMO UV Blue...
    Chipset cooling normal not needed (Just for looks), In a limited amount of builds/cases yes it does help, In your case with the airflow and amount of hardware it just might not be to bad of an idea

Although it will add some more tubing to your build

Just my 2cents!!! I know what my temps are using the same case and if I could add a chipset block I most likely would. LOL
    by the mean chipset, you mean Northbridge isn't?
    NB chips at lga 1366 run awfully hot
    dual 360 rads on lianli A05NB worklog : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=259066

ufft feser one, donotwant
    you probably wanna see snipe dog thread about his loop filled with feser
    Just found that thread, not a pretty sight, any recomendations as I say, I have never had water cooling before.

Update 06/02/2011

Just a couple of pics of the Rad cutout for tonight

with masking tape:

and without... much neater

burnt through 2 cutting discs in the process, should really get a pic of those
    Last edited by Psyco; 02-06-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Just found that thread, not a pretty sight, any recomendations as I say, I have never had water cooling before.
    colored UV tubing + distilled water or distilled water + mayhem wc dyes

Xtreme Member
    +1

already got some clear tubing so it has to be dyes, that deep blue dye looks awesome, considering mixing it with some blue uv... The name of these dyes would seem a perfect match for my project, a total coincidence, honest

looks like the shop is closed until Mike gets well, I hope he is ok , I have a lot to do before I get the dye anyway...

Well its been a while and I have made a lot of progress... been very busy with university work which is my poor excuse for the updates

first thing to get done was the powder coating, I found a place in manchester that would do it for a pretty decent price and I think it came out looking great

before:

after:

Some part pics:

someone very kindly sent me a sceond mcp655 instead of the pump top i ordered... always nice to have a spare.

bp fittings, shiny as always

shiny ek blocks

soldered the wires for the top rad together:

dropped the cpu into the socket.....

not to worry, some tweaking and poking later:

and fixed

well, close enough

shot of gpu:

leak testing:

as it turns out one of the right angled connectors was broken

solution... remove 90 degree connector:

and finally one of the powder coated fan controller:

system up and running now, not yet finished, more pics coming soon

I am Xtreme
    Looks great so far! Good job!
    Looking forward to more pics!
    Are you considering doing some sleeving?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I'm not going to be individually sleeving cables, I don't have the space. I have sleeved the front buttons/led cables and fans for the top rad but as most of the cables in the build are hidden away there is not much need

A quick pic to show off the awesome work done by the guys at macclesfield laser:

would not have been able to do it that neetly by hand though the idea is stolen from coolmiester and his insane project: SR2 Stacker.

Of all setups I saw so far, this one has really many advantages. What is important, I'm thinking here about quality mod with window, not just contest who will pack more radiators in A05.
    I had never inteded this to be a contest, the reason behind 2 360 rads is in the pursuit of silence

here are some pics of the complete nearly build

side + window:

another side shot, no panel this time:

front of case without pannel:

Xtreme Member
    Cool build. It turns that using mini-atx motherboard changes everything, sli has enough space below top radiator in this setup, also you have much easier time to connect everything to motherboard. Full atx, would be stuck behind rad, and it is real pain to reach pins on mobo (usb/power ect).
    I'm not quite sure about power supply. If you would use 240mm rad on bottom instead 360, it could get away with much less modding, at quite low cost (just 1x120 less rad surface), so not sure if it was worth it, considering that part of radiator doesn't have much space for air anyway.
    Still very nice and clean. It shows that it is really worth to go with mini atx in this case, if we are going for water cooling.

I can see your point however looking at the case head on with the power supply on the far left and one of the hard drives on the right there is a resonable gap between for airflow through the rad.

This motherboard is still not ideal, as i have had to move one of the hard disks to the second cd bay as the bottom gpu is so low. which must be impeding the airflow to the top rad a bit.

the gigabyte ud3r would not fit sli, there would be no room for tubing + top gpu would block top rad alot.

the matx board has not helped as much as it could... i accidentally pluged the power switch into only on of its pins, fortunately nothing else but can't move it with my fingers, will need to get the plyers on it when i have a moment, lucky I can reach the onboard switch and i dont have a window yet :P

Ideal motherboard would have gpus in slots 2 + 4 (gene 1 + 3 , ud3r 3+5)

Banned
    This is like, really really impressive stuff dude.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    wow.

amazing. looks like you may need a shoehorn to get it all in there.

Xtreme Member
    awesome, good job bro

thanks guys, hillywav in particular your build helped to convice me this was possible

I have got all the sound dampening fitted and side pannel in place, I need to get round to taking some more pictures.

The yate loons are louder than i had hoped, they have a rumbly/grating/ticking sound... but im being very picky as it is a lot quiter than my previous builds.
    Temps are pretty good but 480s can still get damned hot (^90C :o) if i forget to turn the fans up when gaming

your case is great, but could you take some pics thaty are not so macro intensive?

I wanna see the full picture...
    Raidmax ATOMIC - Core i7 3770s + Corsair H70 // Gigabyte H77N WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133mhz // EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0// Kingston SUV400 480Gb // Sharkoon SFX500L

Attemped to upgrade the fans to gentle typoons and in the process have punched holes through both the rads... stupid nooby can't see the mcr 320s in stock anywhere in the uk anyone have any suggestions for alternatives with matching dimensions/hole spacing/performance ???

Xtreme Member
    Attemped to upgrade the fans to gentle typoons and in the process have punched holes through both the rads... stupid nooby can't see the mcr 320s in stock anywhere in the uk anyone have any suggestions for alternatives with matching dimensions/hole spacing/performance ???
    OMG! I'm so sorry for your loss...
    Now I understand the warning letter included with the radiators...

You just want to buy from UK or any other EU store is fine?

Your build looks great btw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast