Thread: KK Concept Case

KK Concept Case

After inquiring about the current mATX high performance cases in a recent thread we came to the conclusion that no PC enclosure exists yet which combines our mutual hunger for ridiculous (read: normal, for us) cooling with mounting options for modern combinations (RAID0+SSD, long GPUs) and an aesthetic that doesn't scream for attention.

So we have been hard at work to produce a plan for a minimalistic case.
    This is the result. EDIT: NEW RENDERS
    EDIT2: Updated again with new renders
    EDIT3: Updated again with sketches.

http://www.matchboxcomputers.com/k2/case1.png

http://www.matchboxcomputers.com/k2/case2.jpg

http://www.matchboxcomputers.com/k2/case3.jpg

EDIT4, 5 march 2011: Another sneak preview of a new layout idea. Allowing us to go even smaller. With the HDD's smallest dimension facing the front of the case, we can make the case less wide. There will still be support for hotswapping by placing the retainers in the middle between both drives.
    This new preview also shows the layout of the internals. As far as we know this is the first time such a layout has been attempted (correct us if we are wrong) and we would like feedback. Note the PSU placement.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. tl;dr DO NOT STEAL THIS.

We are looking for input from the community. Don't be shy, we can take criticism, but please, do try to be constructive.

As for specs: This is an mATX case, it's rendered with correct proportions. It will hold any single chip GPU, two hotswappable 3.5" HDD's and one 2.5" in the back. A slimline DVD/Blu-Ray drive. Room for a normal PSU. In the front is a 180mm, in the back a 120mm fan. Room for tower CPU heatsinks. Right front button is the on/off switch, left one is a reset button with HDD activity LED. Right lid the slimline optical drive. The motherboard is on a tray with a hole for easy access for mounting backplates. The case can be opened by taking off the top and sides (this will be one piece of metal)

This is a collaboration between Sjaakwortel from Tweakers.net, and me (Xavier K.)
    Kind regards,
    Last edited by xavdeman; 03-04-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: thumbnails, specs, new renders, sketches

This thing look like a mini safe
    Rig: P5Q Pro | E7400 | V8 | 2x2GB Ballistix Tracer | XFX HD4770 | 2x Seagate 1TB | eXtreme Power 650W | RV01 | HP 2009F
    Plan to go: Epiphone SG400 | Fender T-Bucket 300CE

not to bad, one (of 2) thing i don't quite follow though. why the mesh on the sides if you already have the fans to pull in the front and exit straight out the back?

next, with a 180(?) fan on the front and a 120 on the back, wouldn't that force it to be a bit on the heavy side on input? (positive case pressure right?)
    why not reduce the front down to the 120 size, remove the mesh on the sides so there is a solid and steady stream through the case?

hmm.. but then the psus fan would cause more pulling out than in... hmm ah i dunno.. i like it. lol

Xtreme Member
    I think the side mesh is for GFX card ventilation. Not 100% sure thow..
    I think maybe a 120mm fan at the front might be the go. Then u can add additional 5.25" bay for fan controller so what ever.
    Just an idea. Looks interesting Can't wait to see it in production.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK_01 View Post
    I think the side mesh is for GFX card ventilation. Not 100% sure thow..
    I think maybe a 120mm fan at the front might be the go. Then u can add additional 5.25" bay for fan controller so what ever.
    Just an idea. Looks interesting Can't wait to see it in production.
    Yes, the left side mesh is for VGA ventilation. A 5.25" bay would be hard because the PSU blocks the way.

next, with a 180(?) fan on the front and a 120 on the back, wouldn't that force it to be a bit on the heavy side on input? (positive case pressure right?)
    why not reduce the front down to the 120 size, remove the mesh on the sides so there is a solid and steady stream through the case?
    Yes, we were meaning to ask about that. Isn't positive case pressure what we want for efficient cooling?

kind regards,
    K&K

I love it, Its so clean.

Quote Originally Posted by batlecryawesome View Post
    I love it, Its so clean.
    Just wait, our new design is even cleaner New renders coming this night (it's evening here now). Also the PSU placement has been greatly improved.

Xtreme Member
    Positive pressure should help with keeping the dust outside if I'm not mistaken.

We just posted the new renders. This time with a clearer view of the internals. Do not hesitate to comment!

You guys didn't comment on our latest renders, but you are still getting new ones. We think we are way too generous We have made a lot of changes.
    1. The PSU's orientation has been changed by 180 degrees. This way it profits from the intake fan and allows for even the highest tower coolers.
    2. We have followed the advice on indirect noise escape paths with regard to the 180mm front fan. It is now covered by plexiglass, but can still take air from the side holes. Do you think they will allow enough air?
    3. HDD's are behind the PSU.

We are thinking about pushing the PSU down and making the case wider but less high, e.g. more closely to the golden ratio.

Please tell us what you think so far!
    -K&K
    Last edited by xavdeman; 02-06-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Ok, again no comments But still... We've made some radical changes...
    1. Reoriented the PSU. Case is now way thinner. This meant sacrificing the 180mm but we've added an intake duct near the CPU.
    2. Possible to add any known CPU cooler.
    3. Possible to add DUAL CHIP GPUs like the AMD 6970
    4. Possible to add HIGH GPUs like the GTX480
    5. More exterior and interior changes.

Renders with components will be coming soon.

Please comment.

Xtreme Member
    What is the size of the case and how many HDD's can it hold?

Quote Originally Posted by woffen View Post
    What is the size of the case and how many HDD's can it hold?
    We're going for 2x 3.5" hdd, above the GPU's, seperated by some form of isolation of course, and one or two 2.5" wherever we find room for it (not hard

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavdeman View Post
    We're going for 2x 3.5" hdd, above the GPU's, seperated by some form of isolation of course, and one or two 2.5" wherever we find room for it (not hard
    That might work, what about size as that is the most important factor for me?

That might work, what about size as that is the most important factor for me?
    ~30(w)x~19(h)x~36(d). It's physically impossible to go smaller since you wouldn't be able to use normal CPU tower coolers (width), dual chip GPU's (depth) or mount hard disks (height).

Xtreme Member

nice

love the latest render

I think though you can go smaller
    if you settle for a cooler like corsair h70 or coolit
    putting the psu on top of the cpu (sgo5 style)

you can go 26x32x17= 14.14 L

32% smaller than the current volume 30x36x19= 20.5 L

good luck

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavdeman View Post
    ~30(w)x~19(h)x~36(d). It's physically impossible to go smaller since you wouldn't be able to use normal CPU tower coolers (width), dual chip GPU's (depth) or mount hard disks (height).
    I could probably live with everything else except depth. For my needs it has to be below 30cm.

Do you have any sort of timetable for a ready product or is this just pure speculation?

I could probably live with everything else except depth. For my needs it has to be below 30cm.

Do you have any sort of timetable for a ready product or is this just pure speculation?
    We require some assistance on production. If anyone here has any contacts in Europe (preferable The Netherlands) where we discuss production it would be much obliged. As for depth, if we go below 30cm you won't have room for double chip GPUs and indirect noise escape paths like this design.

Also: new sketch uploaded. We're sorry the previous ones didn't provide much of a clue to the placement of the internals. This one aims to resolve that. Beneath the two HDD's will be room for two GPUs of the biggest sort. The biggest and widest CPU coolers will be able to be placed inside this chassis. Effectively allowing the user to make zero compromise on cooling, while still having the smallest form factor possible. Screen taken with the 120mm fan placed. If we replace it with a 92mm fan we will be able to keep an edged power connector within the chassis and exit through the back. With 120mm the power connector will exit through the right side.

Ending on a normative note, ATX PSUs are way too big. There should be a sub-1000 wattish standard in a much smaller form factor.

Let us know your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Um, where does the PSU exhaust and are you sure there's enough room for the PSU power cord and leads?
    First question: The PSU exhaust is on the right of the case. There will be a hole / mesh there.
    Second question: The power cord in this design also is on the right of the case. If we make the front fan 92mm we can have it in the case and exit through the back. Cable management will be fine, especially if you use a modular PSU

Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    A lot of builders won't be pleased with the choice to go with a 92mm fan because they like to use H50/H70 coolers. And the ridiculous idea of running the power cable along the outside of the case is a show-stopper.
    The rear fan mount will support 120mm. So you will be able to place a WC rad there. Also the left side mounts are 120mm, so you will have room for 3(!) WC sets.

92mm is just the front fan. And yea, it's kind of ridiculous... We'll have to think about it

Its a cool design , I like how the in and out air goes straight threw the cpu cooler.
    UD7 / I950 / OCZ SSD / PATRIOT DDR3 8 8 8 24 2000MHZ / 600 watt psu.

Quote Originally Posted by batlecryawesome View Post
    Its a cool design , I like how the in and out air goes straight threw the cpu cooler.
    Yeah, in our latest designs the entire right side is also meshed. CPU cooler will have no shortage of fresh air. More coming soon!

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Loving this case design!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Loving this case design!
    Thank you, always nice to hear We'll have more soon

The un-extreme XIP
    I had this exact layout in a sketchup case a year ago but never ended up making it. Looks nice, would like to see it made and available.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball