Thread: First time watercooling help a n00b out?

Question First time watercooling help a n00b out?

hi, i will soon be making my first watercooled pc.

but, before i do so. heres the list of items that i have bought and i want to know if these block will make algea growth and corrode etc etc.

ek Supreme LT nickel+acetal.
    ek gtx480 block nickel+acetal
    ek dcp 4.0 pump
    xspc rs360 rad
    POM 5''25 bay res
    masterKleer 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing.
    koolance Quick Discconect fittings
    and some 1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fittings.

now since the blocks are made out of nickel plated copper. i dont know if it will corrode or not. so i need some advice..will it corrode? what do ineed to prevent corrosion/algea growth. and also im going for Swiftech HydrX uv green coolant << and i know some say it will clog up and make gung ec etc. i dont care i will clean my system. thanks for the helps

Corrosion is something of the past, now that we no longer have to deal with aluminium parts. Don't worry 'bout it

I would advise against the use of colored/UV coolant since it tends to clog and mess up your blocks. You might as well use colored tubing. I'd go with distilled + biocide/kill coil. The combination in my sig has also served me well over the past two years.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

The nickel blocks should be pretty resistant to corrosion.

If you use that Hydrx additive then it should act as a biocide to stop anything growing.

Personally I would still go with plain water and green UV tube.

thanks alot guys . but i just dont like the look of UV tubes. i like the liquid and if i clean the loop once every 4-6 months it should be fine. plus the Hydrx uses liquid baes dye instead of particle based, so it shouldnt create gung unless it somehow evaporated and left residue behind :P

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Holst View Post
    The nickel blocks should be pretty resistant to corrosion.

If you use that Hydrx additive then it should act as a biocide to stop anything growing.

Personally I would still go with plain water and green UV tube.
    hydrx is crud mate, From all the hype it had i gave it a go in a few old loops and nothing but gunk after months.. Still distilled+pt nuke+silvercoil imo is the best option..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?