Thread: Ofset voltage questions Asus Pro

I am Xtreme

Ofset voltage questions Asus Pro

first thing is that the way I understand it the only way you can keep the downclocking of cpu speed and voltage is if you use the offset mode. is that correct ?

If that is correct then how do you determine the offset to use +/- and to what voltage this +/- is applied ?

I want ot keep the downclocking and voltages functioning as they do when using the default turbo clocking in bios.

would appreciate any examples you may have or are using

Thanks

I am Xtreme
    yep, only why that it seems to work... well you can try a negative offset and see if the CPU holds up, I can run my 2600K at 4.5 with -0.050 Offset. So it idles around 0.96Volts at 1600mhz and goes up to 1.28 under load... no idea if Asus can implement a lowest value in the bios (like 1 volt at 1600Mhz) and a manually set Vcore by the user for the load condition... running 1.28 volts through a CPU that runs at 1600mhz is silly...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Either offset or full Auto is the only way to downclock the voltage. Problem with offset is figuring out what value to use to get the load voltage you want (which also varies by LLC setting).
    Asus P8P67 Pro BIOS 1253
    i7-2600k @ 4.5 @ 1.3V
    Thermalright Venomous-X w/GT @ 1450
    8 GB (2 x 4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24
    Gigabyte GTX 480
    Corsair 750HX

I am Xtreme
    for +4.5Ghz action I always use Ultra high LLC
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

I have it on 4.5Ghz, and use offset > auto vcore with LLC off.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, use the Offset setting option for Vcore.

'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot
    Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyAMD View Post
    how do you determine the offset to use +/- and to what voltage this +/- is applied ?
    IMO I would say if you are using a + offset then test stability of the highest multi first. In terms of a percentage difference this will be smallest at the highest multi and increasingly bigger as you step down in multi's.

With a - offset the bigger percentage difference would be at the lower multi's so probably a good idea to test lowest and idle speeds too.

The offset works by adding or subtracting from the requested VID however VID can also change a small amount with load ie if I run Linpack AVX at stock i see a ~4 step increase in VID ~20mV. On stock my 2500k is stable with a -0.150 offset.

VID appears to keep increasing as your multi goes up but would stop at 1.52V. Whatever multi that may occur at idk. How much extra + offset you will need will depend on how well your chip scales. Some chips are better than others.

In the example below from here you can see the difference in VID and Vcore due to the load line and heavy load. By adding a + offset we would change Vcore to be a bit higher if it were found to not be enough for stability or perhaps in this case reduce Vcore by using a - offset and effectively reduce those high temps and throttling.

Last edited by some_one; 01-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.