Thread: Critique my selection of water cooling parts

Xtreme Member

Critique my selection of water cooling parts

Just wanted some sound advice on my choice of water cooling components for a build, after much research, this is what I've come up with.
    I'd also put reasons next to each component to show my logic as to why I've chosen that part, and help would be appreciated.

Case: Silverstone TJ11
    *Currently own a TJ07 black, want to buy this for the size and for the orientation of motherboard, has better airflow than current TJ07, and I actually like the look of it.

CPU block: EK Supreme High-Flow (Plexi+Nickel) (i7 950)
    Mobo block: EK board block for EVGA E759 Classified (Plexi+Nickel)
    x2 GPU blocks: EK block for EVGA GTX 580 (Plexi+Nickel)
    *EKs blocks look amazing, the flow rate and pressure drop is good in comparison with similar blocks, so is the cooling capacity. I prefer to keep all blocks with same company.

x2 Pumps: Laing D5 Vario 12V
    *From what I've read, the D5 is supposedly a bit more quiet, has a higher flow rate and does not run as hot as the DDC's, but has less pressure, dumps more heat into the loop and are physically bigger. I've also read that they are seemingly less prone to problems than the DDC's (more reliable).

Pump top: EK D5 Dual-Top 2-Loop
    *By running two pumps I can keep my flow rate up, and will have slight increase in cooling capacity with the increased flow, and I would have the space for it in the TJ11. The EK top is shown to be one of the best performing tops apart from the Detroit.

Radiators: x1 XSPC RX480 + x1 XSPC RX240
    *Has low 8-FPI density for good performance at low fans speeds, has both copper tubes and fins, standard spacing, matt finish, G1/4", 6-32, has a very good flow rate and low pressure drop in comparison with other radiators.

Fans: x10 Scythe (Nidec Servo) AP-15's 1850rpm (all for the rads)
    *"Quieter", and more static pressure and cfm per rpm in comparison with other fans for use with radiators as per martinm120 and skinnee's tests.

Reservoir: EK Bay Res.
    *Need to store and refill water somewhere. :P
    I like the look and placement of the bay res.

Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Clear Tubing 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD
    *Good bend radius, no writing on the tube walls, very clear tube in comparison to other cross-sections of tubes which appear to be either yellow or blue tint. Also, the flow of the 7/16" is much better than 1/4" or 3/8", but is just shy of the 1/2", and 1/2" is huge IMO.

Fittings: Bitspower 7/16-5/8 Silver Shining Compression Fittings
    *Quality brass fittings IMO, been around for a while and look great.

Fluid: Lab grade distilled + Petras PHN (benzalkonium chloride) (no dyes or other additives)
    *I've heard stories about blocking up pumps, rads and blocks with gunk, water going cloudy and staining tubes, waterblocks, etc.
    I don't want such problems, so I'll stick with plain water, and I think the whole clear/plexi/nickel look will look great (tubes, fittings, blocks).

The setup needs to be relatively quiet, so high FPI rads and high rpm fans are out of the question.
    The placement of the two rads will be at the bottom of the TJ11, and both rads will be configured as both push and pull with the fans.

Fan => 480 Rad => Fan => 240 Rad => Fan

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like a well thought out list of high quality components. I give it a thumbs up.

The only thing I'd change is getting a Koolance dual D5 bay res, as I think it really simplifies the loop configuration and finding a place for 2 D5's. It's a personal preference and if you like the Ek res and dual top, go for that, it'll accomplish the same thing.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks BlueAqua, I'll look into the Koolance D5 Bay Res.

Xtreme Member
    Hwlabs gtx series are the best rads for ap-15 iirc.

Xtreme Guru
    bobisgod: .. for ap-15 fans at their maximum. Most buy them though for use at lower speeds of downvolted fans with maximum range "just for case" as "reserve". So unless one doesn't care about noise and plans to run fans at >1400rpm, high FPI gtx line of rads is not exactly best choice, even for ap-15 fans.

Xtreme Member
    If you don't go with the Dual D5 res (it's realy nice) then make sure you get the EK spin waterfall res...

I love my spin..
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegcpu View Post
    If you don't go with the Dual D5 res (it's realy nice) then make sure you get the EK spin waterfall res...

I love my spin..
    Yeah, I think the EK Spin Res in acetal looks really good.

Xtreme Member
    One thing I'd like to comment on with regards to tubing size choice.

I'd recommend going for 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing and appropriate fittings for one simple reason - they are a little more common and you'll find a larger variety of fittings and adapters from more manufacturers that make them.

I'm not saying the size you chose is bad or hard to find, only saying the other one is more common and may be easier to work with in the longer run.

Xtreme Guru
    jumper2high: more common tubing/fittings size can be attributed to 3/8"-1/2" as well. In lot of cases it's easier to route smaller diameter tubing.

Do you plan on getting a fan controller like BigNG or Aquaero? As Churchy rightly points out, you may want to downvolt the fans to lower noise and keep the extra rpm in reserve - 10 fans at 1850 are going to make a sound, GT or not. You seem to have a good amount of rad for what you are cooling so you can probably cut noise quite a lot by lowering rpm and/or turning some fans off when idling.

Xtreme Member
    I do plan to reduce the rpm somehow.
    I want to use a plain lamptron two-way switch to switch from 12V to perhaps 9V or less using a potentiometer or rheostat.
    I want to keep it simple, and feel bay controllers do nothing but complicate things unnecessarily.
    Thanks for the input HanMies.

Quote Originally Posted by HanMies View Post
    Do you plan on getting a fan controller like BigNG or Aquaero? As Churchy rightly points out, you may want to downvolt the fans to lower noise and keep the extra rpm in reserve - 10 fans at 1850 are going to make a sound, GT or not. You seem to have a good amount of rad for what you are cooling so you can probably cut noise quite a lot by lowering rpm and/or turning some fans off when idling.

Xtreme Member
    wow, actually that T-Balancer BigNG looks good.
    I'm reading more into it now.

Xtreme Guru
    nirvana_1911: there are other similar "smart" pump&fan controllers to mCubed's BigNG as well. - Aquacomputer Aquaero / Koolance TMS-200 / Alphacool Heatmaster.

Xtreme Member
    I have no idea which would be the best one to use, which do you feel would be best?

Xtreme Mentor
    Hasn't the big NG and software support kinda died off? Leaving the Koolance as the better choice? What about the new one I saw a post about?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Looks very good setup.
    I wish I had something like that in future. Too bad xmas is already gone
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Xtreme Guru
    Which is best? Don't know. Each has pros and cons, like different pricing, different maximum handled power, different options, different more or less bug prone accompaning sofware with different features and so on and on. So far I'm waiting how next generation of Aquaero gonna turn out due sometime later this winter.

Xtreme Member
    I don't know whether to get the mCubed T-Balancer bigNG or the AquaComputer Aquaero 4, or wait for the new Aquaero.
    I need to connect:
    x10 Gentle Typhoons
    x2 Laing D5 Vario's
    x1 or x2 Flow sensors
    and some temperature sensors (water and air)
    There's also a concern for voltage drop and having enough channel power to cope with what I want to connect to it.
    I've been researching it for the most part of today, both the mCubed and AquaComputer controllers look equally good.

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, for 1 D5 IIRC only BigNG/TMS-200 is powerful enough (need to re-check though). For two .. maybe only TMS-200 + expansion board EB-200? Not sure. Current Aquaero 4.0 even in powerboosted newer version is able to handle only one DDC pump from first, more powerful channel. D5 is above it's power rating.
    Haven't heard anything about power capabilities of future version of aquaero, as Shoggy wrote that specs will be told only when released.

Xtreme Member
    Should I get the:
    XSPC RX or EK CoolStream XT rad
    and
    EK D5 Dual-Top Single-Loop or EK D5 Dual-Top Dual-Loop
    and why?
    This has been on my mind, and have been trying to find out the answer.