Xtreme Member

[Review] Alphacool CapeCora HF 1042 im Cartago´s Review

Alphacool Cape Cora HF 1042 im Cartago´s Review

Testobjekt: Alphacool Cape Cora HF 1042
    Tester: Peter Werstler aka Cartago2202
    Hersteller und Sponsor: Alphacool
    Preis: €116,99 exkl.

Introduction:

Hello and welcome to the new Review of Cartago2202!

In the current review, the passive radiator Cape Cora HF 1042 W3520 is the challenge of a Xeon with 4GHz at around 1.26 V and cool the Asus Rampage Extreme III Board completely passive.

Radiator im Detail:

The new Cape Cora HF 1042 would be compared to its predecessors only in minor but crucial change points.
    Thus, a new plug-in system would be developed, which is with extensions to other modules very helpful. It would be two O-rings taken to ensure the utmost. But the best because the flow resistance in comparison to its predecessor, was significantly increased.
    This modular design allows, depending on how many and which components have been installed, the size and adjust the cooling power requirements.
    The changes in the internal structure was also the cooling capacity of the individual modules can be increased, doing so, the developers simple principle "more cooling surface, more cooling performance, " and changed the internal structure in order to reach more surface area, thus the coolant more heat to the Modules make.

This, easy plug in the delivery system and the U-brackets thus allow easy expansion of the basic modules, both with each other and through individual expansion modules.
    The Cape Cora can be designed so that it is mounted on the side wall of the housing, the mounting holes are available and delivery to include the appropriate mounting screws.
    The workmanship is excellent, only the somewhat sharp edges of the profiles tarnish the positive impression.

Of course provides Alphacool the radiators in various sizes
    and here you can see the whole list:

Alphacool - CPU Khlung und Wasserkhlung sowie PC-Cooling und Silent-PC Artikel von Alphacool - Passive Radiatoren

Together with the right accessories:

Alphacool - CPU Khlung und Wasserkhlung sowie PC-Cooling und Silent-PC Artikel von Alphacool - Radiatoren Zubehr

Now we do let the images speak for themselves:

Technische Details:

Farbe: Silber eloxiert
    Material: Aluminium
    Abmessungen (mit Verbinder) (L x B x H): 50 x 470 x 483mm
    Anschlussgröße (nicht bei Erweiterungsmodul): 1/4Zoll
    ROHS conform

Lieferumfang:

10x Kühlrippe inkl. Verbinder
    Montageschrauben
    Montageanleitung (deutsch, englisch und französisch)

Testsystem und Testablauf:

CPU: Intel Xeon W3520 übertaktet auf 4GHz bei 1,25V-1,26V
    Board: Asus Rampage III Extreme mit EK WaterBlock Fullcover Kühler
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3x4GB
    Grafik: PowerColor HD6950
    Netzteil: be-quiet! P9 850W
    Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X

Were cooled, the processor and the board. I tested the program would Prime95 in the setting "In-place Large FFTs.
    The program ran until the water temperature no longer rose. The room temperature was 22 ° C at test start and climbed in the period to 25.5 ° C. After 15 minutes the water reached its maximum temperature, and no longer continued to rise,
    what I was actually quite surprised that it went so fast. After few more minutes I made this screen:

As you can see, the water temperature hovered at around 40 ° C by the Loop1 the initial temperature and loop2 is the inlet temperature. The pump was running at 60% of which with a capacity of around 85L/Std. led, a later increase in power to 100% (135L/Std.) did not improve the temperature up.

Fazit:

Wow, wow, wow

With all respect, has the radiator to cool, to my great surprise, made the system entirely passive.
    Although the temperatures scratching my personal limits, but are still safe. If the cooling capacity is sufficient for the summer, I like here now to doubt but with a large fan,
    blowing on the radiator or with an additional radiator, which is actively cooled, it will be enough anyway. Here are my impressions in "Pro and Contra"

Pros:
    Cooling capacity
    Modular
    Extensibility
    Processing
    Price

Cons:

Sharp corners of the cooling modules

The excellent cooling performance improves as the Alphacool Cape Cora HF 1042 the coveted "Cartago's Review HOT Award

Acknowledgments:
    Mein Dank geht an die Firma Alphacool für die Bereitstellung des Testsamples und die Firmen Aquatuning und Phobya für die Bereitstellung weitere Komponenten für dieses Review.

Last edited by cartago2202; 02-09-2011 at 12:24 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 01-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

i know aluminium in the waterpath is generally frowned upon but i have been using these for 4 years now with no problems, galvanic corrosion is not a problem wiht is insurmounable chemically. I also know its easyer just to put fans on a standard rad but for silence nouthing beats passive.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    If they could make one with a copper or brass pressed core, that would be cool. Trying passive would be fun, but I'm not willing to mix metals...I've seen way too many visuals of what CAN go wrong when doing it and I'm just really happy running straight water.

Thanks for the review though, much appreciated!!
    Martin

Does anyone out there make a passive radiator with copper innards? I am starting to put together a plan for a sff build and I'm really leaning towards using some passive rads externally to keep things clean. But I can't seem to find any that aren't all alloy. On performance PC's for the Alphacool Cape Cora 142 (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4515) it says "absolutely corrosion-resistant" this statement should be taken with a grain of salt I assume? Are there any other options to keep the corrosion under control or is it just totally not worth the hassle/risk?
    Mobo: DFI X48 T2R
    CPU: E8400 @ 3.78 (lil better)
    Ram: G.Skill F2 Pi @ 840
    GPU: 2x HIS IceQ4 4870 1gb X'd
    HDD: 2x Caviar Black 500gb

Cooling
    GTZ, FC EK's, 655B with EK Rev.2 Top, RX120 w/GT1850's push/pull, MCR240 w/GT1850's in push, Frozen Q n Primochill 1/2" Tubin

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    If they could make one with a copper or brass pressed core, that would be cool. Trying passive would be fun, but I'm not willing to mix metals...I've seen way too many visuals of what CAN go wrong when doing it and I'm just really happy running straight water.

Thanks for the review though, much appreciated!!
    Martin
    ummm there was one from magicool.

It kinda looked like the admiral without a rad shroud.

It featured a 2 acrylic res plates which held a bunch of tubes from one side to another.

@ CES i talked to the magicool rep.
    He said the designed SUCKED. Im not saying the admiral will suck, but he said the MAGICOOL's one sucked so they pulled it complete.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSilent View Post
    i know aluminium in the waterpath is generally frowned upon but i have been using these for 4 years now with no problems, galvanic corrosion is not a problem wiht is insurmounable chemically. I also know its easyer just to put fans on a standard rad but for silence nouthing beats passive.
    This forum is very anti alu.

Its not generally frowned, its avoided with prejudice.

Its like coming in with a full blown Jag V12 when its a electrical car convention saying, oh i know gas guzzlers arent liked here.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    I'm sorry, but why would anyone buy that?
    If you want good performance, you use fans... If you don't, then it's unlikely you're going to buy a huge unit... And GT's at lowest settings make less noise than pumps, anyway.
    Either way, thanks for the review.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage88 View Post
    Does anyone out there make a passive radiator with copper innards?
    Nope

I am starting to put together a plan for a sff build and I'm really leaning towards using some passive rads externally to keep things clean. But I can't seem to find any that aren't all alloy. On performance PC's for the Alphacool Cape Cora 142 (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4515) it says "absolutely corrosion-resistant" this statement should be taken with a grain of salt I assume?
    Hope you have a lot of water...because that's a very large grain of salt you need to take with that.

Are there any other options to keep the corrosion under control or is it just totally not worth the hassle/risk?
    Personally, not worth the risk. . .but, there are fluids available that "minimize" the risk. They come at a cost though, both financially and performance wise. I tried these a while back (link) and here are the results (link) . For the amount of sections you would need to cool a modern loop, you would spend enough to buy 2-3 MCR320 + some AP-12 or AP-13 GT's for all of them.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 02-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Yeah figured as much Back to the drawing board I guess... for me it wasn't so much cooling performance to price ratio per se. I was planning a 140mm rad inside and some of these flibberty-jibbits on the outside to... help out a bit. I just loathe to mount a rad and fans externally. It looks horrible imho. Corrosion however, looks worse Thanks for the response!
    Mobo: DFI X48 T2R
    CPU: E8400 @ 3.78 (lil better)
    Ram: G.Skill F2 Pi @ 840
    GPU: 2x HIS IceQ4 4870 1gb X'd
    HDD: 2x Caviar Black 500gb

Cooling
    GTZ, FC EK's, 655B with EK Rev.2 Top, RX120 w/GT1850's push/pull, MCR240 w/GT1850's in push, Frozen Q n Primochill 1/2" Tubin