Thread: Help with understanding ram overclocking.

Xtreme Member

Help with understanding ram overclocking.

I really do hate cross posting, but can not seem to get any responses in the general memory forums. I have dug and dug and dug even deeper through countless forums and sites looking for a good tutorial on overclocking your ram, to no avail I might add.

I have the basic understanding of your CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS timings. Well, I know how to find what is stable through trial and error.

The problem is I still have so many questions regarding overclocking ram and seem unable to find any good resources to improve my understanding and find answers.

First and foremost is what the hell is with rRAS. I know what it is, but just cannot seem to make sense of it. It seems that 20-24 might me the best place for it, but I have no idea why. Why would having a break of 20 clocks between the command be better than say 15?

What is a good utility to test efficiency and performance of the ram for the purpose of comparing it to a different clock setting?

Aside from having the FSB running at three times the clock of the ram, are there any guidelines to follow when overclocking the ram in relation the the cpu and other components?

Is there any reason I would mess around with the other 50 settings for the ram? WTF is all that? Lol.

I am just wetting my feet with overclocking my ram and just trying to make sense of everything. Ideally, if someone knows where I can gain more information on DDR3 overclocking I would be grateful.

Xtreme Guru

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?