I am Xtreme
    amd has their definition of core, some do not agree with that definition
    but the product is not going to perform any differently based on the name
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not disagreeing with you but some people you just can't please. It has shared resources, big deal. I read somewhere that the module is 80-90% of the efficiency of a true dual core. Close enough for me to call a module two cores.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    informal so BD can do 2*4 and K10 just 3 macroops?
    BD integer scheduler receives the 4 macro ops but the very execution units work on micro ops sent by that same scheduler. Execution units can only work with micro ops. Back end's job is to retire the macro ops that schedulers received. Per clock and per AMD (per AMD"s Mike Bulter) each core can retire 4 macro ops.

Xtreme Member
    freeloader yet you are still missing 10-20% of performance, thats a lot not to mention what they added was just a second cluster which means only 20% bigger core size without L2 cache, true 2 core without sharing would mean 100% bigger core size on a die.
    something like this(without L2 cache)
    module without one integer(no sharing, everything can be used by one integer cluster) 15.58mm2
    module design 19.4mm2
    2 core design 2*15.58mm2=31.16mm2
    The performance gain per area increase is worth the performance penalty but comparing it to a regular 8 core is not right in my opinion thanks to the penalty hit.
    Last edited by TESKATLIPOKA; 08-26-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
    less than a month before release and people are still debating how many cores it has?!

from AMD.com "Experience responsive game play and mega-tasking performance with the AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition.

World's first native 8-core desktop processor."
    so if a core doesn't do two threads then it isn't a core according to intel fanboys
    I find it somewhat ridiculous that they are questioning its amount of cores.
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Member
    informal thanks for the info.

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is from dresdenboy @ AT:

Quote Originally Posted by dresdenboy
    It can do both In recent papers the Bulldozer designers call those ops "Cops" (complex ops, equivalent of a ALU/FP micro-op + a mem op [load/store/load+store]).

Decode: 4 Cops/cycle/module or up to 5 in case of branch fusion (IIRC branch op has to be in last place then)
    Issue: 2 ALU ops + 2 AGLU ops per cycle per core plus 4 FP/SIMD ops per cycle per module in the FPU (belonging to both threads)

Bulldozer’s decode unit extracts and
    decodes up to four x86 instructions per
    cycle from raw instruction bytes. The decode
    pipeline converts x86 instructions into Cops
    that can directly execute on the functional
    units.
    The scheduler picks and
    schedules four Cops per cycle to the execution
    units out of order.
    on FPU:

AMD designed the Bulldozer FPU to
    deliver industry-leading performance on
    HPC, multimedia, and gaming applications.
    The primary means of achieving such
    performance is a four-wide, two-way, multithreaded,
    fully out-of-order FPU, combined
    with two 128-bit FMAC units supported by
    a 128-bit high-bandwidth load/store subsystem.
    Source: Michael Butler, Leslie Barnes, Debjit Das Sarma, Bob Gelinas, "Bulldozer: An Approach to Multithreaded Compute Performance," IEEE Micro, pp. 6-15, March/April, 2011

Here are some links related to Chuck Moore's comments on Financial Analyst Day 2010, where he mentioned the 4 "instructions" per cycle issue per core and as also the same bandwidth of decode:
    http://citavia.blog.de/2010/04/22/pr...143/#c12914412

David Kanter's article on BD gives more details if the software optimization manual is too cryptic.
    http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?Ar...WT082610181333

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I read somewhere that the module is 80-90% of the efficiency of a true dual core. Close enough for me to call a module two cores.
    I wonder where did you read the '80-90% of the efficiency of a true dual core' statement, if it's true the Zambezi 8 core will only act like 8 * 80% = 6.4 cores in worst scenario?
    Last edited by undone; 08-26-2011 at 04:16 PM.

XIP
    It will be a few weeks before Newegg put it on sale, lets just stop arguing.......unless peep really work at AMD's BD design team. Lol

Xtreme Member
    i think nda is up the 9/9 read that somewhere.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by undone View Post
    I wonder where did you read the '80-90% of the efficiency of a true dual core' statement, if it's true the Zambezi 8 core will only act like 8 * 80% = 6.4 cores in worst scenario?
    It's in official slides from FAD 2010. This is an average number,there are probably some cases where sharing doesn't cost any performance and somewhere where it does cost more. BTW Bulldozer has all (integer) cores turbo so this alone will negate some of the penalties that *may* occur.
    Also note that there is no multicore chip design out there that scales perfectly with more threads and at the same time has none of the MT technologies(fine grained,coarse grained,SMT). Usually conventional CMP designs (a la Opteron,Conroe) scale ~90% with second thread,on well multithreaded workloads.
    Last edited by informal; 08-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    freeloader yet you are still missing 10-20% of performance, thats a lot not to mention what they added was just a second cluster which means only 20% bigger core size without L2 cache, true 2 core without sharing would mean 100% bigger core size on a die.
    something like this(without L2 cache)
    module without one integer(no sharing, everything can be used by one integer cluster) 15.58mm2
    module design 19.4mm2
    2 core design 2*15.58mm2=31.16mm2
    The performance gain per area increase is worth the performance penalty but comparing it to a regular 8 core is not right in my opinion thanks to the penalty hit.
    Too me it's no different than Intel classifying it's parts as having 4 cores/8 threads. Bulldozer's turbo function will also make up for some of the 10 to 20% deficiencies in a multi threaded work load, however no processor (that I'm aware of) with a shared cache system can obtain a 100% unified work load over two cores on the same die. (cache latency, cache miss, operating system overhead, etc, etc...)
    Last edited by freeloader; 08-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Too me it's no different than Intel classifying it's parts as having 4 cores/8 threads.
    The problem with comparing BD and SB with SMT is that in SB's case you have 3 ALU units(and 2 AGU units) in each integer core that are shared by 2 execution threads. The main idea behind this concept is to use pipeline as much as possible and not let those 3 ALU units sit idle (note that those ALUs are both for int and fp!). This happens usually if MT code is not written well enough or the nature of the problem that code is written for is such that it is not parallel-friendly((not able to be broken into smaller amounts of threads and efficiently executed due to many dependencies among the threads).
    Now in BD's case,in each module you have a big shared front end and behind it you have 2 execution cores each of which has 2 integer ALUs and 2(+2) floating point execution units. As you can see there is a BIG difference between AMD's "cores" and intel's "threads/cores". Former are real hardware units that are partly dedicated(int) and partly shared(FP) while in later case we have fixed amount of units that are shared equally between 2 threads.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Per clock and per AMD (per AMD"s Mike Bulter) each core can retire 4 macro ops.
    So just to confirm, that means a single module can retire 8 macro ops per clock cycle then? Because a module is supposed to be two cores. Which means top level bulldozer can retire 32 macro ops per clock cycle?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Brilliant Idiot
    less than a month before release and people are still debating how many cores it has?!

from AMD.com "Experience responsive game play and mega-tasking performance with the AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition.

World's first native 8-core desktop processor."
    There is no debate about how many it has. AMD has designated 8 so 8 it is........

Regardless of all those specs, docs and whitepapers you can dredge up I am telling people how it works.

If they wish to not accept that fact.....well thats their problem.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    i think at this point we all understand how it works..

a 4 module bulldozer has 8 cores. yes some shared resources but regardless there is still 8 cores in the cpu. intel cpu has 4 cores, 8 threads. bd has 8 cores 8 threads. if you still see it as a 4 core cpu that is perfectly fine with me, no matter how we see/classify it we will all have the same thing powering our pc

anyways this is a 100% pointless "argument" so i will return to how i have been the last n months, quietly waiting patiently
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Brilliant Idiot
    i think at this point we all understand how it works..

a 4 module bulldozer has 8 cores. yes some shared resources but regardless there is still 8 cores in the cpu. intel cpu has 4 cores, 8 threads. bd has 8 cores 8 threads. if you still see it as a 4 core cpu that is perfectly fine with me, no matter how we see/classify it we will all have the same thing powering our pc

anyways this is a 100% pointless "argument" so i will return to how i have been the last n months, quietly waiting patiently
    I see it as a 4 core part that can execute up to 8 threads, An engineer at AMD while I was there tended to agree with me, but what does he know.........

We obviously have members here that know more about BD than AMD.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    So just to confirm, that means a single module can retire 8 macro ops per clock cycle then? Because a module is supposed to be two cores. Which means top level bulldozer can retire 32 macro ops per clock cycle?
    Yes and no. A module can potentially retire up to 8 macro ops per cycle when executing two threads and tracking two contexts. If only executing one thread it can potentially retire only 4.

This is the strongest argument that it is an 8 core CPU because when running 8 threads the total potential retirement will be 4 issue x 8
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 08-26-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I see it as a 4 core part that can execute up to 8 threads, An engineer at AMD while I was there tended to agree with me, but what does he know.........

We obviously have members here that know more about BD than AMD.
    no need for the smart ass reply

considering amd calls it an 8 core on amd.com but you call it a 4 core, i dont see how you can call anyone out who says its 8core as "knowing more about bd than amd"

but anyways like i said, i honestly could not care any less what people call it because regardless its performance wont change depending on what the owner calls it.

edit: i even said in my last post i am perfectly fine if you see it as a 4 core so idk why you try to put me/anyone who thinks it 8core on blast like that
    Last edited by crazydiamond; 08-26-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    LEO!!!!

Xtreme Member
    I think a lot of the guys here should work for AMD,
    maybe they could come up with a better CPU.?

Xtreme 3D Team

considering amd calls it an 8 core on amd.com but you call it a 4 core, i dont see how you can call anyone out who says its 8core as "knowing more about bd than amd"

but anyways like i said, i honestly could not care any less what people call it because regardless its performance wont change depending on what the owner calls it.

edit: i even said in my last post i am perfectly fine if you see it as a 4 core so idk why you try to put me/anyone who thinks it 8core on blast like that
    crazydiamond I'm pretty sure chew has Bulldozer in possession or has seen real internal numbers and you haven't so why argue back? Just because marketing team thinks its cool to make sure everyone knows it's an 8 core doesnt mean .

Very strong 4 core + 4 half cores = great 4 threads and moderately crippled 8 threads. I expect IPC to be up well, but not when all 8 threads are used. Multi-core scaling will be nothing like people will want it to be, but in four threads I believe AMD will be very close to Sandy Bridge.

His smartass reply is in reply to your smartass reply about his facts...engineer behind Bulldozer that Brian talked to is not advertising/marketing person. Each module is literally a core and a half. Dumbed down it's Hyper-Threading in a physical form, with extra parts in the core not only to help some single thread scenarios but help execute 8 threads...imo I guess AMD should have called each module a core and made it execute 8 threads but then again each module is not a normal core.

I bet the CPU is around Thuban performance in multi-thread, if AMD wanted a good high core CPU the stars core is still a great arch. It's very competetive with Sandy Bridge from a performance per mm2 standpoint core only. Unfortunately IPC must increase which means larger cores and AMD doesn't have the cache density intel has so something has to give in the multi-threading dept for that to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by duron View Post
    I think a lot of the guys here should work for AMD,
    maybe they could come up with a better CPU.?
    +1

/end sarcasm
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 08-26-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    thx for the lulz...
    LEO!!!!

Xtreme 3D Team
    thx for the lulz...
    I'm so glad you've tested the CPU yourself and know exactly how wrong chew* is. Why the hell do you think chew* is leaving? He gives real information and advice and people like you act like he has no idea what he's talking about. Why do you think Zambezi scores so low in cinebench? I have a hunch that it makes a great quad core...
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I'm so glad you've tested the CPU yourself and know exactly how wrong chew* is. Why the hell do you think chew* is leaving? He gives real information and advice and people like you act like he has no idea what he's talking about. Why do you think Zambezi scores so low in cinebench? I have a hunch that it makes a great quad core...
    Are you chew*'s bodyguard or something? If he is not here giving advice, the world will go on Also it's worth noting crazydiamond never actually accuses chew* of being "wrong", and he's actually stating quite calmly a laughably obvious observation - that it is pointless arguing over whether you define this is a quad core or an octo core. The nameless engineers at AMD can call it a purple-headed people eater for whatever difference it makes (ie, none). AMD is officially calling it an octo core, end of story.

I can't believe I got sucked into posting in this thread, I wish they'd hurry up and bloody release it

Brilliant Idiot

It's not a smart ass remark, it's fact, merely stating what was said factually in a discussion.

Thank you for reinforcing one of the reasons why I am just about done with this.

Try to help people and get called an ASS, especially after helping that person only days ago in a PM.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    heatware chew*

Page 70 of 181 FirstFirst ... 20606768697071727380120170 ... LastLast