Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4519

Thread: AMD Zambezi news, info, fans !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    -Boris-

you should think about that more
    idle 44W
    load CPU +79W in this case gpu should have the same consumption as in idle
    load GPU +82W in this case gpu is working hard but cpu is working too but not as hard as doing encoding, that game doesn't use every core or something like that.
    The GPU transcoding won't load CPU cores much at all. They should be clos to Idle. And you can see the opposite on the Intel. CPU consumes more than GPU on the Intel in it's specific test, while GPU consumes more on Llano.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post
    The GPU transcoding won't load CPU cores much at all. They should be clos to Idle. And you can see the opposite on the Intel. CPU consumes more than GPU on the Intel in it's specific test, while GPU consumes more on Llano.
    Sigh.

AMD A8-3850
    Intel Core i3-2105

Idle
    43.6W
    51.7W

GPU Accelerated Video Transcoding
    126W
    85W

3D Gaming (Metro 2033)
    126W
    101W

CPU Load (x264 Encode)
    123W
    87.6W

Taxing the cpu = 123-43W = +80W!! (gpu is idle in both cases!)
    Gaming = 126W-43W = +83W where gpu and cpu are used intensively. (There is no turboboost!, cpu runs at 2.9GHz).
    Transcoding = "". high gpu load with load on cpu's (cpu is not idle and is running at 2.9GHz).

And yes you can compare those TDP values. Go read techreport whom tested a 3800 and had similar or lower powerconsumptions than the i3 for cpu load. (and not 36W higher)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    I
    One of the issues with this press kit is the lack of support : CPU-Z is being updated as we speak, no true driver package,...
    How do we have to read this? Is this the scenario like with the rad69xx and nvidia590 cards where the drivers delivered were still buggy? Do you imply there are still driver issues, or simply that their is lack of support in alot of test programs. (aida, sisoft, ..)

Xtreme Member
    ok so bottom line the launch platform is still having issues. So is it fair to say they have put more effort in creating a nice box than they did in making sure the content is what you expect?

well eg with the SB launch Intel gave us a complete package of software to read out temps, monitor turbo ( we have overdrive for this ) a complete driver package, working CPU-Z, AIDA,... Now we just have PPTs, 2 biosses and Overdrive... and that's it... new bios we have via Asus contact is far better then the biosses given by AMD. So now I have to retest lol...
    seems nothing has changed over the years, what a shame ...

anyway, thanks for posting your impressions here.
    Power Rig: Core i7-5930K, ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1, 16GB G.Skill DDR4-2400, Asus Strix GTX980 OC
    Time Sink: Core i7-5775C, ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac, 16GB AMD DDR3-2133, Silverstone PT-09 w/ 120W Power Brick
    HTPC: Athlon 5350, ASRock AM1H-ITX, 4GB DDR3, Supermicro SC-101i

well eg with the SB launch Intel gave us a complete package of software to read out temps, monitor turbo ( we have overdrive for this ) a complete driver package, working CPU-Z, AIDA,... Now we just have PPTs, 2 biosses and Overdrive... and that's it... new bios we have via Asus contact is far better then the biosses given by AMD. So now I have to retest lol...
    What Bios version and Board are you using?

Xtreme Member
    -Boris-
    1) I was talking about Metro
    2)
    idle 43.6W
    GPU trans-coding 126W the difference is 82W and the same discrete gpu with a bit higher clock as the IGP has a max. TDP of 39W 82-39=43W just for CPU if IGP is working at its TDP limit. So much for your statement how cpu is close to idle.

3) SB consumes more in Metro than in x264 Encode and if you don't know SB has Sandy Bridge Media Engine which is doing video encoding and decoding instead of GPU thats why the consumption is lower than in x264 Encode.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore, all I can say with certainty is:

- It's the CPU cores that draw the most power by far under 100% load. As mentioned almost all the TDP is eaten up by the CPU.

- If you artificially load up both the CPU and GPU you will far exceed the TDP and the system will overheat and shutdown on a std heatsink (I tried it).
    This doesn't happen in real life gaming (even using all cores) because both the CPU and GPU fight for memory BW, rather than maxing out their execution resources.

- The GPU is on the CPU-NB power plane, and it's the CPU's stock Vcore that's pumped through the roof

I have figures from my own testing on my laptop i'll dig them out

Xtreme Member
    I tested single threaded at boxed clocks (turbo 4.2) vs 4Ghz OC (no turbo)... first was a lot faster so I assume turbo is popping in...
    Assume? Why don't you monitor it?

Could you link me to your driver version ?
    Mine? I don't have this press kit, or a single ES.
    I was referring to what JF said:

Q. I saw a benchmark on xyz website. Is that how bulldozer will perform?

A. No. Nothing posted before launch will be representative of actual performance. To get actual performance, you need:

Final production silicon
    Final processor microcode
    Final system BIOS
    Final OS optimizaitons
    Final drivers
    An app compiled with the latest flags
    A person who understands the app and configures the test properly
    From here: http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/11...aunch-faq.html
    Although, I'm not sure if he was referring to a certain CPU driver, as well, or only those for rest of ther system.
    I know C'n'Q needed a driver (or a 3rd party app). I don't know what's the case with f.ex. PowerNow! 3.0 and TurboCORE. Perhaps it's all controlled in HW already. Better ask JF about it...
    (Searching for CPU drivers on AMD's site I've found only old ones.)

Xtreme Cruncher
    One very interesting post from SA. We now have a new slide deck which is different from the one leaked earlier. Especially the slide covering FX vs i5 and i7.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatty2nd View Post
    Has anyone noticed that between this slide:

And this slide:

The 2600K and FX have been swapped around showing the same difference in numbers? The second slide makes more sense with the results being order of the key. Whoever made the first slides decided it would be a good idea to swap 2600K and FX performance...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It would make sense, because the order in the legend is now the same as the order of the bars. I never noticed that before.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Let's see what the latest slide shows us:
    8 tests in total.
    We can say that Zambezi FX wins hands down in at least 4 or even 5 of them (Handbrake is a win for FX but by a few percents;still a win).
    It looses in one test(7 zip) by a small margin (few percents again).
    It loses by a decent/big margin in 1 benchmark (wprime) and it loses by a smaller margin in also one benchmark which is Bibble (by 5 to 7% tops).
    New slide deck shows us that in following benchmarks FX is NOW faster than 2600K,instead of being slower as depicted in earlier version: Winrar4.x264 pass2,pov ray,abbyy OCR. In wprime FX is NOW slower than 2600K and this is the only case where new slide deck shows FX being slower versus the old one.

All summed up:According to AMD's newest slide deck, FX XXXX @ XXGhz is overall somewhat faster than 2600K. This is not what all the leaked benchmarks are showing us though.
    Last edited by informal; 10-07-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Xtreme Member
    What I hope that after bulldozer launches, somebody would do the following:

Disable some modules of the 8150 and search the optimal performance
    (eg. 1 module disabled, 2 cores disabled.. and then MEGA oc no 6xxx and 4xxx series because you want to do this with the best cores/modules)

Lesser modules means more cache per core more mem bandwith per core and less overheard, no?

And offcourse, SB with HT off vs bd with 4 threads
    Last edited by donitsi; 10-07-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyck View Post
    Sigh.

AMD A8-3850
    Intel Core i3-2105

Idle
    43.6W
    51.7W

GPU Accelerated Video Transcoding
    126W
    85W

3D Gaming (Metro 2033)
    126W
    101W

CPU Load (x264 Encode)
    123W
    87.6W

Taxing the cpu = 123-43W = +80W!! (gpu is idle in both cases!)
    Gaming = 126W-43W = +83W where gpu and cpu are used intensively. (There is no turboboost!, cpu runs at 2.9GHz).
    Transcoding = "". high gpu load with load on cpu's (cpu is not idle and is running at 2.9GHz).

And yes you can compare those TDP values. Go read techreport whom tested a 3800 and had similar or lower powerconsumptions than the i3 for cpu load. (and not 36W higher)
    Why focus on gaming, both GPU and CPU are loaded in gaming? It doesn't show anything. Compare GPU only(mostly) test with the CPU only(mostly) test. All you can tell is that in this particular case the GPU test loads the processor more than the CPU test. You really can't turn those figures to that it's the CPU that is the power hog. If you have other reasons for those claims post them instead. The figures you have there doesn't cut it to prove your point. And you can never compare power consumption between different reviews at different sites with different boards. So that's just another bad conclusion.

I do believe you guys might have a point, but it seems to that you haven't presented it here, the comparison above just doesn't prove your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    -Boris-

1) I was talking about Metro
    2)
    idle 43.6W
    GPU trans-coding 126W the difference is 82W and the same discrete gpu with a bit higher clock as the IGP has a max. TDP of 39W 82-39=43W just for CPU if IGP is working at its TDP limit. So much for your statement how cpu is close to idle.

3) SB consumes more in Metro than in x264 Encode and if you don't know SB has Sandy Bridge Media Engine which is doing video encoding and decoding instead of GPU thats why the consumption is lower than in x264 Encode.
    1. Yes, and metro doesn't show as it loads both CPU and GPU. That's why I said you should compare GPU test vs. CPU test.

2. Where do you have these numbers of internal TDP limits for different parts?

3. Still, in this particular test GPU test loads the processor harder than the CPU test.

Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
    I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore, all I can say with certainty is:
    No because people forget some arguments and focus on other stuff, brings numbers that actually don't say anything thus derailing the discussion from the subject. The argument is, you can't predict Phenom behaviour on 32nm with Llano as a base. There is way to important differences for that to be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
    - It's the CPU cores that draw the most power by far under 100% load. As mentioned almost all the TDP is eaten up by the CPU.

- If you artificially load up both the CPU and GPU you will far exceed the TDP and the system will overheat and shutdown on a std heatsink (I tried it).
    This doesn't happen in real life gaming (even using all cores) because both the CPU and GPU fight for memory BW, rather than maxing out their execution resources.

- The GPU is on the CPU-NB power plane, and it's the CPU's stock Vcore that's pumped through the roof

I have figures from my own testing on my laptop i'll dig them out
    You actually bring some points here. And I don't doubt that I might be wrong. You can please dig them out. The other arguments I've got this far haven't showed anything conclusive.

But my main point (which everyone forgets) is that Llano probably isn't made the same way as a Phenom II would be made at all. AMD talks about differences in silicon between different product lines, like Turion and Athlon/Phenom, and between Thuban and Deneb. It's clear that some design choices that might be good for a GPU isn't as good for a CPU. Low power high density trannies might be good for lots of units packed in a GPU at sub 1GHz frequencies. But might need more current to work good in a 3GHz CPU.

One thing more, I don't say that Thuban will be close to BD, it's just an if. If Thuban is close to bd, then I think a 32nm Thuban would be better of.
    Last edited by -Boris-; 10-07-2011 at 04:17 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    Assume? Why don't you monitor it?
    if I compare 4.2 (turbo) vs 4.0 ghz (locked) the single threaded scores are scaling correctly. I never leave extra apps open when testing... Turbo works don't worry... but it won't make up for what I see here in single threaded apps...

Only driver I now off were the new CAT preview drivers... no other CPU, CNQ or such in my posession... or that I know off that need to be installed.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Let's see what the latest slide shows us:
    8 tests in total.
    We can say that Zambezi FX wins hands down in at least 4 or even 5 of them (Handbrake is a win for FX but by a few percents;still a win).
    It looses in one test(7 zip) by a small margin (few percents again).
    It loses by a decent/big margin in 1 benchmark (wprime) and it loses by a smaller margin in also one benchmark which is Bibble (by 5 to 7% tops).
    New slide deck shows us that in following benchmarks FX is NOW faster than 2600K,instead of being slower as depicted in earlier version: Winrar4.x264 pass2,pov ray,abbyy OCR. In wprime FX is NOW slower than 2600K and this is the only case where new slide deck shows FX being slower versus the old one.

All summed up:According to AMD's newest slide deck, FX XXXX @ XXGhz is overall somewhat faster than 2600K. This is not what all the leaked benchmarks are showing us though.
    The same people that, watching the first slide, claimed that i7 2600k was better and that wprime 32m did not matter, now, that the results are inverted, what do they say now??

Watchig the second slide (the correct one I think, if it cames from amd.. the other slides were faked by someone, if you look at the first slide and the first benchmark you can see clearly that it is edited) they will say that i7 2600k is still better and that wprime 32m is the most important test.
    LOL

I am Xtreme
    asus Crosshair V Formula tested 0083 0813 and 9905 bios now (last one gives best performance and opens ram dividers to 2400)
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post
    But my main point (which everyone forgets) is that Llano probably isn't made the same way as a Phenom II would be made at all. AMD talks about differences in silicon between different product lines, like Turion and Athlon/Phenom, and between Thuban and Deneb. It's clear that some design choices that might be good for a GPU isn't as good for a CPU. Low power high density trannies might be good for lots of units packed in a GPU at sub 1GHz frequencies. But might need more current to work good in a 3GHz CPU.
    yes, this is probably the one thing that prevents a proper comparison. It may be the result of porting Evergreen architecture over, I don't know. However, whilst Intels GPU isn't really comparable, it's still a GPU and they don't seem to have any such issue at all, so IF what you say was the case, I'd hope for AMD's sake there's no such issue for trinity.

Xtreme Member
    -Boris-
    1. Yes, and metro doesn't show ....... as it loads both CPU and GPU. That's why I said you should compare GPU test vs. CPU test.

2. Where do you have these numbers of internal TDP limits for different parts?

3. Still, in this particular test GPU test loads the processor harder than the CPU test.
    Actually I did that too because Metro and GPU acceleration have the same power consumption
    Thinking cpu is idling during gpu acceleration is very stupid or are you saying that media chip is consuming 44W next why does Llano have the same consumption in Metro and in gpu acceleration when cpu should be idling during acceleration.
    Your argumentation was totally flawed from the beginning, The End.

P.S. Did I tell you that TDP 39W was for a similar gpu built on 40nm and not 32nm and memory chips should have been included in said TDP too so IGP in load will have <<39W

Why focus on gaming, both GPU and CPU are loaded in gaming? It doesn't show anything. Compare GPU only(mostly) test with the CPU only(mostly) test. All you can tell is that in this particular case the GPU test loads the processor more than the CPU test. You really can't turn those figures to that it's the CPU that is the power hog. If you have other reasons for those claims post them instead. The figures you have there doesn't cut it to prove your point. And you can never compare power consumption between different reviews at different sites with different boards. So that's just another bad conclusion.

I do believe you guys might have a point, but it seems to that you haven't presented it here, the comparison above just doesn't prove your claims.
    you are seriously hilarious, can't even admit you are simply wrong because my TDP comment is more than enough to destroy anything you bring up to defend your claim how IGP in Llano is consuming more than cpu.
    Last edited by TESKATLIPOKA; 10-07-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Enthusiast
    asus Crosshair V Formula tested 0083 0813 and 9905 bios now (last one gives best performance and opens ram dividers to 2400)
    do you think the FX 8150 is competitive when compare to i7 2600k?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    fwiw, cache sizes on the 8150/8120/8100 are 8MB L2 and 8MB L3 (16MB total).

cache sizes on the 6100 are 6MB L2 and 8MB L3 (14MB total)

cache sizes on the 4170/4100 are 4MB L2 and 8MB L3 (12MB total)

that should cut some rumour mongering out.

dave
    Heat: 50 - 0 - 0 under "Argus333"

Xtreme Member
    note to reviewers:

Anyone who uses bd with crappier memory than 1866, will get smacked to the face
    Even the puny llano 3850 gets a small perf boost on 1866 memory (cpu part)

Xtreme Legend
    And what exactly are the issues you have found in bios 9905?

The review kit with proper CPU-Z, HWMon, HWInfo, AIDA is going to be released later today.

Xtreme Addict
    mhm... would i like to review right now or should i be happy other people do it

question
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Page 151 of 181 FirstFirst ... 51101141148149150151152153154161 ... LastLast