Page 115 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118125165 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 4519

Thread: AMD Zambezi news, info, fans !

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontl1ne View Post
    It's not a confirmation unless they said "it will be launched within 4 - 5 weeks."
    With AMD's track record recently the only real confirmation will be when they actually launch.
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Brilliant Idiot
    There are many bios options that can effect the outcome of benches.

HPET is 1 for example, it stops the cpu from throttling back in mulithreaded apps.

Running pi on a cluster, versus a core ( 2 threads ) versus being able to disable a single cluster in a core ( which 99% boards/bios's do not have implemented so resources are not shared ) can all influence the results in single threaded.

Knowing all this tells you one thing for sure, you can make it look worse or make it look better all depending on your knowledge of the chip and or your intentions.

As far as PI it's an antiquated bench and has not been AMD's strong point for quite some time.

Granted some results shown tend to lead to the fact that 1m times are bad but looking at the bigger picture we also know that in many cases you can validate 1000mhz higher in many cases with BD, which would point to the fact that you can run 1m at alot faster speeds than current AMD tech.

Things that make you go hmm like what kind of times will we see at 8 gig or even comparing BD to deneb/thuban when same cooling is used.
    Last edited by chew*; 09-18-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    HPET is 1 for example, it stops the cpu from throttling back in mulithreaded apps.
    Chew,

Why is it throttling in multithreaded apps? Temps? Are the 8 cores putting out a lot of heat?

Xtreme Member
    snip
    Chew, I want to thank you for all the insights you have given on BD. You have made me go from to waiting for the CPU to come out again. I want to get one, but right now I think it is a big if with MSI updating my AM3 880G board with support. I do not want to drop money on a new board, so I may just end up waiting for the revision (piledriver) to come out.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Chew,

Why is it throttling in multithreaded apps? Temps? Are the 8 cores putting out a lot of heat?
    my motherboard can throttle back when i overclock too much, my cpu is stable and cool on water, but my VRMs might have gotten too hot. this could be for the board, or the chip.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    my motherboard can throttle back when i overclock too much, my cpu is stable and cool on water, but my VRMs might have gotten too hot. this could be for the board, or the chip.
    Makes me wonder if the high end 990FX boards will throttle as well
    Last edited by Pestilence; 09-18-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I think it will be more interesting to see "performance per Watt" instead of "clock vs clock".
    Say you have a 1100T system @ 4GHz drawing 600W from the wall in full load, what frequency will a identical FX8150 system (with same components & cpu-cooler) end up with? 5GHz?
    On top of this it might even run cooler, ending up with another win: a more quiet system...
    Last edited by nex_73; 09-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    Why? Do ASRock mobos have the latest AGESA?
    Yes, version 1.1.0.0, seems to be the final version, previously there was just v0.0.9.2, looked still beta to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by duron View Post
    I just updated my icafe870R2.0 bios was released Aug. 30, saying update CPU code
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...%20R2.0&o=BIOS
    i guess most mobo manu. has the latest Agesa by now
    There were many BD Agesa updates in the summer, that BIOS you mentioned just has 0.0.9.1.
    Last edited by Opteron146; 09-18-2011 at 07:06 AM.

I am Xtreme
    this is a Asus M4A88TD-V EVO which has pretty much the weakest VRM section that comes with a heatsink on it.

Xtreme Addict
    There are many bios options that can effect the outcome of benches.

Running pi on a cluster, versus a core ( 2 threads ) versus being able to disable a single cluster in a core ( which 99% boards/bios's do not have implemented so resources are not shared ) can all influence the results in single threaded.

Knowing all this tells you one thing for sure, you can make it look worse or make it look better all depending on your knowledge of the chip and or your intentions.

As far as PI it's an antiquated bench and has not been AMD's strong point for quite some time.

Granted some results shown tend to lead to the fact that 1m times are bad but looking at the bigger picture we also know that in many cases you can validate 1000mhz higher in many cases with BD, which would point to the fact that you can run 1m at alot faster speeds than current AMD tech.

Things that make you go hmm like what kind of times will we see at 8 gig or even comparing BD to deneb/thuban when same cooling is used.

interesting post to say the least!!
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Addict
    You can disable the throttling.

In ASRock Fatal1ty at least.
    -

MaddMutt

Cool 790FX Chipset???

Your asking the wrong question.

Will it work? Yes

The right question is will it be optimal? No.

Chew,

I know you might not be able to answer this in a timely manner but I have to ask it.

I have a GA-MA790FXT(A) UD5 motherboard $200 USD you sayed that the old CH would support the K15 but not optimal. If it is only a power saving issue could the 790FX also work in this situation?

Thank you for taking the time to answer

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMutt View Post
    Chew,

I know you might not be able to answer this in a timely manner but I have to ask it.

I have a GA-MA790FXT(A) UD5 motherboard $200 USD you sayed that the old CH would support the K15 but not optimal. If it is only a power saving issue could the 790FX also work in this situation?

I'm not Chew but I'm 99,999% sure that GA-MA790FXT(A) UD5 won't support Bulldozer at all.
    -

Xtreme 3D Team
    Chew,

Gigabyte isn't even supporting at all on their 800-series motherboards, they updated them with a new revision and socket.
    ASUS will be giving support on most of their 800-series line, and MSI will on select boards afaik.
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    I think motherboard sellers want to sell motherboards lol

Brilliant Idiot
    Chew,

I'd be more likely to blame power saving features/tdp.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    For most of those benchmarks,regardless if they are real or fake, the key thing is SIMD performance. Integer SIMD is handled also by the new FPU inside bulldozer. So this will be the key for good or bad reviews. If it doesn't beat K10 in single thread or poorly thread integer SIMD workloads,it may not get so favorable reviews. If it manages to do this it will be both faster and more efficient than K10,in both single thread and multi thread benchmarks. Now,how all these "leaks" correlate to real performance is anybody's guess. At least in single thread workloads,when both halves of the flexfp are working on one thread,Bulldozer should be faster than K10 at similar clock. We don't see this in any of the leaks. It is actually slower by 15-20%,which goes against what we know about its FPU.
    I am gonna take the under on this one. FP benchmarks are less interesting except in the HPC world. ~90% of what your CPU is doing all day long is integer. FP has long latencies (deeper instructions) and is really only ~10% of the work. So speeding up FP might look awesome on SPEC FP benchmarks, but for desktop apps and most server apps, it gives you little or no noticeable impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
    I don't remember who mentioned it in the last few pages (lost the multi-quote I had going), but it was about making a 4M/4T chip and if AMD would do that... I don't know, it's unlikely, but about 1/2 way through the thread I was thinking how it'd be interesting for them to make one since it would give each core total access of all module resources. I think they'd make for pretty good gaming chips. Clock them at 4GHz with maybe a 4.5GHz 4C-Turbo, weee!
    No, there is a 4-core 4 memory channel interlagos, but that is a server part. It has 2 modules. There is not that much of a benefit for having a single thread running on the module. The overhead from sharing is pretty low, so you get pretty close to the same performance. Running one thread on each module vs. filling the modules means that, to run the same # of threads, you will be doubling the amount of power required because you have fired up 2 modules. You'd be better off in most cases to run it on one module, power gate the other, and get the uplift from turbo because you have more headroom.

Your actual mileage will vary, but the idea that there is a huge overhead for sharing just isn't there. In most cases it will probalby be lightly impacting, if impacting at all.

What is this ages code all about? I've seen it referenced but what is it.
    AGESA is the base code that is given to board developers and OEMs to build their BIOS. The version of AGESA that is used will determine what features are exposed and any performance optimizations that might be available. But just because the feature is in AGESA does not mean that your vendor will take advantage of it, you get the features that they expose to you.

So BLT has pulled the listings for the 8150/8120/6100 from there site.. Hmmmm
    I said before and I will say it again. Public sales prior to launch are not allowed per the embargo guidelines. I can't speak to how the desktop guys would handle it, but back when I used to run business development, if someone was advertising prior to launch, they were not the first guys in line to receive product. Production parts went to the folks that honored the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by nex_73 View Post
    I think it will be more interesting to see "performance per Watt" instead of "clock vs clock".
    Say you have a 1100T system @ 4GHz drawing 600W from the wall in full load, what frequency will a identical FX8150 system (with same components & cpu-cooler) end up with? 5GHz?
    On top of this it might even run cooler, ending up with another win: a more quiet system...
    Considering that ~5% of the market at most is buying top bin parts, you can assume that ~95% are interested in price/performance or performance/watt. Base on that, you are absolutely correct, this would be the most interesting thing to consider in comparisons.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Brilliant Idiot
    You can disable the throttling.

In ASRock Fatal1ty at least.
    Thats thermal throttling which is not quite the same
    heatware chew*

MaddMutt

Smile Thank You

I'm not Chew but I'm 99,999% sure that GA-MA790FXT(A) UD5 won't support Bulldozer at all.
    Thank You for your timely answer.

I was looking at a new board but was hoping Now I have to choose from the ASUS CH or ST any recommendations or nods

Xtreme Addict
    I was looking at a new board but was hoping Now I have to choose from the ASUS CH or ST any recommendations or nods
    Sabertooth has the same bios options, just not as good onboard sound and doesnt have the special software stuff. From what I remember they both have the same VRM stuff so you should be able to get the exact same overclocks. Sabertooth also has a 5 year warranty instead of 3, however I dont think it doesnt support quad-SLI/crossfire?
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 09-19-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    ...so it's th 19th of Sept, anything New?

Xtreme Addict
    Wait until October 13th.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Wait until October 13th.
    sheesh! anyways more time to save

I am Xtreme
    sheesh! anyways more time to save
    seriously. thinking of doing a new build with CHV/BD/ATI7000 and i shouldnt be spending any more money, but its kinda my only addition.

Banned Movieman...
    Its not the 19th in the US though

Page 115 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118125165 ... LastLast