Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSI 890FXA-GD65 reviews????? **UPDATE** board installed

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertini View Post
    Hi!

I just read your problem and wanted to check whether my new 6850 is running properly @16.
    Started GPU-Z and had to realize that it was running @x4 -

I knew it was in the right (top) slot in my CHIV so I reinserted it and voila - back to 16x.
    So maybe just try resitting yours, too.

OK, I'll try anything once (well most everything LOL)
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    ok, I removed it again, reinstalled it, and still @ 8x
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    Another update: I went back into BIOS and "LOADED OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" left everything @ stock, and BAM! 16x... As soon as i increase the HTT (FSB) even 1 notch, it drops down to 8x. So in the end I found the issue, now just need MSI to fix it VIA a BIOS UPDATE... I have emailed them aswell
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    OK..... Certain FSB settings will give you 8x PCIe speed. 201-217 = 8x speed..... 260+ will give you 8x speed, Im @ 258FSB now and am @ 16x... So I found the issue, come on MSI, fix this crap.... Love the board though!
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    If it's directly related to fsb, could there be any spread spectrum modulation left enabled? Just double check to disable any spread spectrum setting you find and even C1E.
    Strix X470-F, 1.2.0.6b | 5800X3D + Galahad 360, 3xP28 | 4x8GB Flare X 3200C14 @3200C14 1T+GDM | Strix 2070S A8G @1830/1750 | SB Z | SN750 500GB, MX500 1TB, DT01 2TB | O11D XL: 6xNB PL-2 | RM750

NREMT-I
    its all disabled bro.... it is clearly a BIOS BUG and MSI now knows about it......
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newls1 View Post

SO are you saying the GD65 actually has a better "Power" setup? also, if you look close near the CPU socket area / I think near the top of the PCIE 16x slot, it says "AM3+" ready........... HMMMMMM
    Hi,

it is probably too late to ask, but if you for whatever reason change the processor / thermal grease etc. in the near future, then can you please make a nice photo of the CPU socket ?
    The question is, if it its really AM3+ or just AM3. MSI's picture on their website cleary shows an AM3 socket, but they also note that:
    The product picture may differ from the actual product. Only for your reference.
    Alternatively maybe you can scan in the layout picture of the mainboard manual ? That is the one from the GD70:

The GD65's manual is not yet available

Thanks a lot

Opteron

NREMT-I
    I looked at this closely upon installation. The SKT itself says "AM3" not AM3+... Really strange as the board reads AM3+ weird
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    I looked at this closely upon installation. The SKT itself says "AM3" not AM3+... Really strange as the board reads AM3+ weird

Hmmm....and if you read what this guy says ...
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?to...3820;topicseen
    So I asked to speak to a senior tech support agent and this is what I asked him " I recently purchased the MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD and under the chip set it says AM3+ CPU Support so does this mean it will support the upcoming Bulldozer CPU?" Senior techs response " Sir we will release a new BIOS update when the new Bulldozer CPU is released for this motherboard" my response " So this mobo is Bulldozer ready?" Techs response "Yes , once you update the new BIOS it will support the new AMD Bulldozer" my response " So the AM3+ on this mobo means its Bulldozer ready?" techs response "Yes sir that's what the AM3+ means"

I am Xtreme
    lol

its not pin compatible, you will break a BD by sticking it into an AM3 board, unless that socket picture at newegg is wrong
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    lol

its not pin compatible, you will break a BD by sticking it into an AM3 board, unless that socket picture at newegg is wrong
    Yes, unless there are no AM3 Bulldzoer chips. Rember that the first 45nm Phenoms 940/920 had still AM2+ pinouts.

However, nobody talked about this hypothetical AM3 Bulldozers so far.
    Weired

@newls1:
    Hm, ok but you didn't check the pinholes, did you ?
    There is just one more maybe not easy to see. But well, let's believe, that there are no falsely labeled AM3b sockets.
    Last edited by Opteron146; 02-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron146 View Post
    Yes, unless there are no AM3 Bulldzoer chips. Rember that the first 45nm Phenoms 940/920 had still AM2+ pinouts.

Weired

@newls1:
    Hm, ok but you didn't check the pinholes, did you ?
    There is just one more maybe not easy to see. But well, let's believe, that there are no falsely labeled AM3b sockets.
    im installing my new heatsink tomorrow, be happy to inspect the pin count for ya.. what exactly am I looking for? or just take a pic of it???
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme 3D Team
    im installing my new heatsink tomorrow, be happy to inspect the pin count for ya.. what exactly am I looking for? or just take a pic of it???
    No need to, the board shown on newegg and MSI's socket is missing a pin.

Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Then what, they are reusing the new board with old parts ?
    Why else would there be "AM3+..." on the motherboard itself, and if they are doing that, that means that a simple socket change may make this board fully AM3+ compliant ?

I know, count the traces on the back of the board!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Yes, but there is a slight chance, that this board was just a pre production sample.

@newls1:
    Make either a (good) photo of it, or look for that blue marked pinhole here, or both:

The red circle shows the area, the blue spot is, where there should be a hole in the case of AM3+. AM3 has two "non-holes" there, AM3+ just one.

If there really are two, then it is definitely AM3 and not AM3+.

thanks a lot

Opteron
    Last edited by Opteron146; 02-09-2011 at 04:21 AM.

I am Xtreme

Weired
    we have, and we were told there was no way to make it work on AM3 due to the additional features of AM3+ that were required.

NREMT-I
    Yes, but there is a slight chance, that this board was just a pre production sample.

@newls1:
    Make either a (good) photo of it, or look for that blue marked pinhole here, or both:

The red circle shows the area, the blue spot is, where there should be a hole in the case of AM3+. AM3 has two "non-holes" there, AM3+ just one.

If there really are two, then it is definitely AM3 and not AM3+.

thanks a lot

Opteron
    will do! I'm tearing it down after I type this.
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    we have, and we were told there was no way to make it work on AM3 due to the additional features of AM3+ that were required.
    I just remember the telephone conference, where AMD talked about AM3+.
    They said that they needed some new electric stuff for the last +5% extra performance. Because Bulldozer is an enthusiast CPU, and enthusiast want any extra performance, they decided to have AM3+.
    An AM3 Bulldozer design is no problem, it will just have ~5% less performance.

Maybe they changed their opinion since then, who knows. There is a new (temporary) CEO, maybe he is more in favor of upgradeablility ?

However, I currently think that it is MSI's error. They use the same basic PCB Design for the GD70/GD65 and the upcoming BingBangConqueror AM3+ board with 990FX chipset.

All boards are from the 7640 series, the GD70 is with the additional markings "ver 1.2" oldest, the GD65 with ver. 3 is newest, and the (real) AM3+ board is in between with ver 2.0.

Quite likely that somebody forgot to delete the AM3+ string from the previous design.
    However, one has to wonder what the MSI people are blabbering then about AM3+ compatibility

In any case, we will have confirmation in a few hours, thanks @newls1 for checking
    Last edited by Opteron146; 02-09-2011 at 08:07 AM.

NREMT-I
    They said that they needed some new electric stuff for the last +5% extra performance. Because Bulldozer is an enthusiast CPU, and enthusiast want any extra performance, they decided to have AM3+.

Maybe they changed their opinion since then, who knows. There is a new (temporary) CEO, maybe he is more in favor of upgradeablility ?

However, I currently think that it is MSI's error. They use the same basic PCB Design for the GD70/GD65 and the upcoming BingBangConqueror AM3+ board with 990FX chipset.

All boards are from the 7640 series, the GD70 is with the additional markings "ver 1.2" oldest, the GD65 with ver. 3 is newest, and the (real) AM3+ board is in between with ver 2.0.

Quite likely that somebody forgot to delete the AM3+ string from the previous design.
    However, one has to wonder what the MSI people are blabbering then about AM3+ compatibility

In any case, we will have confirmation in a few hours, thanks @newls1 for checking

you sure will
    Nothing anymore

I am Xtreme
    Because Bulldozer is an enthusiast CPU, and enthusiast want any extra performance, they decided to have AM3+.
    basically sums it up
    llano can cover the lower-mid with 2 to 4 cores, and BD covers mid-upper with 4 cores, and 6-8 cores is all enthusiast. the number of people who would be upgrading to BD is very small. most would just be buying a new system anyway, so im happy we got that extra bit of performance. i however am not happy my board lasted 40 months instead of 48 months, lol

although i think it would have been cool to shrink thuban to 32nm for some 65W hexicore 4ghz lovin without needing a new board. but i bet that would not have been very profitable.

Xtreme Mentor
    Would have been very interesting to se how thuban perform/oc on 32nm tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobaltrock View Post
    Then what, they are reusing the new board with old parts ?
    Why else would there be "AM3+..." on the motherboard itself, and if they are doing that, that means that a simple socket change may make this board fully AM3+ compliant ?

I know, count the traces on the back of the board!
    WTF?

Honestly, I don't believe the photos on newegg are a pre production sample since newegg takes those photos of one of the boards they recieve for sale.

I'm still eager to see newls1's photos and if it is indeed an AM3+ socket, maybe I'll happen to purchase an MSI board within the next few months to play with.

[/B][/SIZE]

you sure will
    Smile

NREMT-I
    I dont have a pic, but in the above pic and that guy saying there should be a "HOLE" where the blue circle is.......THERE Is NO HOLE... AM3 socket, not AM3+
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    Just a reply to my thread here, cause there is no need to start another thread I just installed my Scythe Mugan2 revB cooler and now am @ 4.03GHz @ 1.385v / CPU-NB 1.20v / 7-8-7-24 1t DDR3 1568 1.42vDimm / NB 1.22v / PCIe @ 103MHz

This board seems great so far.. Im very impressed for a 140$ board. I was very limited on my Prior OC as I was using the stock cooler, but this new air cooler is excellent Will increase more later on...
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    CPU-Z validation page ( http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1647057 )

Also with the NB @ 2860MHz, the PC seems rather responsive
    Nothing anymore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast