Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamptron FC-8 controller anyone?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Which is what I meant. 3 Panaflo's are about 3-4A, and the wire is rated for about 8-10A. However, with 12V running across the lines, and drawing the full max of 240W, you have 20A (!) going through those line (I know I'm exaggerating right now, but the situation is possible). No 18 gauge wire is going to appreciate that .
    pretty sure the larger power supplys use 16g wire dont they? but thats a good question and ill run that by the engineers for you.

Xtreme Member
    If you have multiple fans connected to one channel, that's essentially wiring them up in parallel so the current draw would be split amongst those wires... correct? Only if you had them wired up in series would the full load amps be going through all the wires at the same time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tw33ter View Post
    If you have multiple fans connected to one channel, that's essentially wiring them up in parallel so the current draw would be split amongst those wires... correct? Only if you had them wired up in series would the full load amps be going through all the wires at the same time.
    They're talking about the wire from the PSU to the fan controller: if you try to connect 3 molexes from the same main cable, in the worst case it may need to transmit 240W of power, which may end up in fireworks if it's not tough enough.

Xtreme Member
    Ahh ok, yeah in that case I wouldn't even trust a 16 gauge wire to carry 20 amps. I'd go with 14 plus some sort of fuse just in case.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    pretty sure the larger power supplys use 16g wire dont they? but thats a good question and ill run that by the engineers for you.
    Good to hear that. We definitely don't want someone like Naekuh to get pissed because he decided to run a nice amount of San Aces from a single molex wire
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    Well I purchased one. I'm just hoping they put time into it and it actually works. (unlike my 4 FC-5's) So back to the molex question. If I have to use 3 seperate 12v rails on my power supply. I only have a few rails left for all my hard drives and various other goodies in system. I really hope I'm able to stack them on a single rail or at least 2 on 1.

Re-reading some of your posts this may start a meltdown?

Xtreme Guru
    There is a 600 watt power supply minimum with this controller for that very reason.

Xtreme Member
    K so I have 1200w power supply http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...T1200&area=usa . Single 12v rails. All 3 molex on 1 rail okay?

Power Supply
    100% modular cables with cable bag
    Efficiency greater than 80% (Max. 88%)
    Class-leading six +12V rail(s) with 94A
    1200W continuous power output rated up to 40℃
    Silent running 135mm Fan with 19dBA
    Japanese Capacitors
    Dual PCI-E 8pin, six PCI-E 6pin, and six SATA connectors
    Support ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V
    Active PFC
    Last edited by Gamb311; 01-25-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added info

Xtreme Guru
    should be fine

Xtreme Member
    k got all 3 on 1 rail. No probs

gamb-do you have any way to test voltage off the controller? Ie at full speed are you still over 11V?

and do you have a picture of the back of the thing? the front's nice but i'd like to see the guts. my apologies if this is available somewhere and I haven't seen it.

Xtreme Member
    Here are a couple pics. I don't know how to check the volt. I do have a fluke to test volts on my motherboard. Would I be able to use this on controller? Never done it not sure how. Anyway here's the back "guts"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7550502.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	111889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	755050.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	111890  

Xtreme Member
    Also there is thin film/paper in front of the lights on the controller so the lights aren't blinding. Amen

barfastic
    are these available Anywhere else, expect mountain mods??? im think more eu based... ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    are these available Anywhere else, expect mountain mods??? im think more eu based... ?
    Yup, saw it listed in France already, not exactly cheap tho' at 53€.

barfastic
    where!? online? i jsut purchased fc5 v2.... got fed up with waiting for the perfect controller...

Xtreme Guru
    afaik only MM has it in stock atm.. Wait a tiny bit longer i say

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

barfastic
    bleh, whatever... if my fc5 v2 isnt working, then ill use it in my next build.

Xtreme Addict
    Do you have to hookup all 3x 12V molex or could you use 1 if you using 8 very low power/rpm fans ?

This would be perfect for my build which im using 8x1000rpm fans so its not like the power draw would even excess 1x 12V molex

Xtreme Member
    is it possible to run 4250RPM fans with this fan controller?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    Do you have to hookup all 3x 12V molex or could you use 1 if you using 8 very low power/rpm fans ?

This would be perfect for my build which im using 8x1000rpm fans so its not like the power draw would even excess 1x 12V molex
    Not sure on this. I hooked all 3 up on 1 rail. Directions say to use all 3 so I'd be a little worried not to. I'm sure someone would know the answer here though!
    (only 2 months behind on response )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12