Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Performance with Win7 Sp1!

Xtreme Enthusiast

More Performance with Win7 Sp1!

Last edited by cold2010; 01-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.

I am Xtreme
    so SP1 is better huh?

Xtreme Member
    Hotfixes for Direct X and graphics cards are probably why you see performance increases.

Xtreme Addict
    Dear M$ please allow users to install only what we need and not all that extra useless crap that slows down our systems. If we choose to download it from you later or install it off the cd this would be fine too. Thx.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Dear M$ please allow users to install only what we need and not all that extra useless crap that slows down our systems. If we choose to download it from you later or install it off the cd this would be fine too. Thx.
    You can do that already with vLite or other similar software by editing the installation media.

Xtreme Guru
    With sp1, to many crashes though only downfall!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

YouTube Addict
    Microsoft Aims to please only the largest user base [people who know little or nothing about computers except what they must]
    WinFLP and similar projects, never appealed as much as we had hoped. Normal users just don't care about such things.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    expect some bug / compatibility issues
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by danielkza View Post
    You can do that already with vLite or other similar software by editing the installation media.
    Do you still need to slipstream sp1 to the install disc or can you download sp1 like normal along with other windows updates now? This is why I passed on vlite before.

edit: nevermind I see you still need to do this. Makes me wonder if sp2 comes out if you're going to have to reinstall windows again but with sp2 slipstreamed. Since your lite version is going to be missing stuff but has what sp1 needed. But in reality it might be missing something sp2 will be updating.
    Last edited by Glow9; 01-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you still need to slipstream sp1 to the install disc or can you download sp1 like normal along with other windows updates now? This is why I passed on vlite before.

edit: nevermind I see you still need to do this. Makes me wonder if sp2 comes out if you're going to have to reinstall windows again but with sp2 slipstreamed. Since your lite version is going to be missing stuff but has what sp1 needed. But in reality it might be missing something sp2 will be updating.
    You're only stressed out about sp2? Where I'm from, we're already filling the nuclear shelters for the dreaded sp8 release!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    You're only stressed out about sp2? Where I'm from, we're already filling the nuclear shelters for the dreaded sp8 release!
    I'm not stressed out, I've had the same vista install on my comp for 4 years. I just don't like software that is essentially a huge waste of time like a version of windows that can't even install an update later.

Xtreme Guru
    Anyone know when is SP1 (final version) officially meant to be released? GTX460 really seems to love SP1 lol, very intriguing for a GTX460 owner like myself. It's not one or two tests but nearly all tests show an improvement and quite a significant improvement even (bigger increase than what we see from the gfx drivers usually) for this card, like looks too good to be true for what is an OS update only.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 01-01-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    so SP1 is better huh?
    I had no idea such a thing would actually happen or be true. I always thought that Service Packs meant lower performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I had no idea such a thing would actually happen or be true. I always thought that Service Packs meant lower performance.
    Service packs and updates are there for the sole purpose of improving the existing software. If the system isn't going to be improved by these changes, they wouldn't have even been worked on. Let alone, released for people to be used.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Guru
    Yea but I suppose he meant more like some updates may bring lower performance that are made for compability or security's sake. I see Microsoft much more often focuses on security and compability especially instead of performance improvements. :p

But DirectX is an important section of their OS I suppose and that's where this performance increase has to come from seeing especially that it mostly seems to benefit DX11 compatible cards which makes most sense as DX11 has been around for the least amount of time and is therefore more likely to see some enhancements.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 01-02-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Service packs and updates are there for the sole purpose of improving the existing software. If the system isn't going to be improved by these changes, they wouldn't have even been worked on. Let alone, released for people to be used.
    I know. I was just being facetious.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are they testing vanilla version of Windows 7 against SP1 or an up-to-date version?

Xtreme Member
    wasn't sp1 just all the updates so far in one pack? I really doubt there's going to be much difference in gaming performance. Since when has a service pack brought gaming performance anyways?
    "No, you'll warrant no villain's exposition from me."

the notes on sp1 from MS say nothing on performance increases its mostly the new remote desktop, direct access updates and server gets a new hyperV system with dynamic memory mapping and clustered VMs

what exactly do they put on there that is bad for performance and is not necessary for general users. the only thing i can think of off hand is tablet and touch input.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the notes on sp1 from MS say nothing on performance increases its mostly the new remote desktop, direct access updates and server gets a new hyperV system with dynamic memory mapping and clustered VMs

what exactly do they put on there that is bad for performance and is not necessary for general users. the only thing i can think of off hand is tablet and touch input.
    4gb+gets installed compared to xp. Do I think there is 4+GB worth of improvements not really. You can't tell me that they can't slim it down.

I am Xtreme
    I doubt there will be much difference if any at all comparing to the fully patched Win7 system today.
    Still... I reinstalled just yesterday. Got Win7 x64 and Office 2007, and I had around 100 updates to download, over a gigabyte in total. So would be about time for them to release a SP.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    4gb+gets installed compared to xp. Do I think there is 4+GB worth of improvements not really. You can't tell me that they can't slim it down.
    Meh, don't compare Win7 with XP. XP is like grand grand father of OS in software age time table.

Only 4gb though? Not bad. It's not like few gigs are hard to come by these days. Even running on 60gb ish SSD, there is more than enough to spare.

I am sure they can slim it down but then people will still complain anyway, so what's the point? They might as well do whatever they want and please themselves at least.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Addict
    Any specific launch date revealed yet? All I've heard is Q1..

32-bit W7 can be cut down from 7.5 GB (stock) to less than 1.5 GB, but I can't see the point, since all you get is more free HDD space, not better performance.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Any specific launch date revealed yet? All I've heard is Q1..
    It is still Q1 2011, officially. No further info.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    32-bit W7 can be cut down from 7.5 GB (stock) to less than 1.5 GB, but I can't see the point, since all you get is more free HDD space, not better performance.
    Its useful if you run a small SSD for your OS drive or an older netbook install.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast