Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gainward Readies GeForce GTX 580 Phantom 3 GB Graphics Card

Xtreme Addict
    When it comes to performance, my gtx 460 se is pretty good being that it's last gen's mid range.
    Though it does not have enough shaders for maxed physx on mafia2 for full frame rate 100% of the time.

The expansion pack, joe's adventure, there's a mission where you have to trash a bar full of irish.
    Trashing that bar bogs the living shiz out of card, brings it to a stand still.

The benchmark in that game is somewhat simuler but it doesn't drop to a stand still or anything when physx is maxxed out.

A normal 460 1gig might be enough to pull it off, or perhaps a 480.
    This new gen is way better of course I'm sure.

Shame how much these cards always are.
    $500, now $600 for launch cost.

I got my 460 se for under $120.
    Brand new from newegg.
    The Guy from ebay sold it to me for that much and baught it from newegg, had it shipped to me.
    No idea how he got it that cheap, since I was keeping a close eye on the promo's and everything.

Has just enough texture units to pull off some 4x res stuff in pcsx2 in all the games I've tried so far.

I remember when top of the line wasn't enough.
    Now it's more then enough .
    Very nice to see more cards with over 1.5gigs.
    3gigs, heck ya..., the more the better even if I can't use a gig or so of it.

Edit:
    This 580 3gig is probably the card you want the next gen games.
    Might be a little low on shaders by then, who knows, but it should have at least close to the amount of mem it'll need for max details on those most demanding games.
    Somewhat future proof for a little while probably.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 01-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    about time I think, this will bring some serious benefit for SLI, TRI SLI and Quad SLI when running surround but it would be nice to see a water-block for it as someone running 3 or more of these sure as heck would have money to water cool these things...

I wonder what the availably and pricing will be like...
    I'd like to get 3 of these cards but I think they are non-reference PCB's. Would that make it near impossible to water cool as there wouldn't be any blocks out there for it?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Why are people making it sound like water cooling is some sort of plug and play solution. WC requires a lot of time, effort and patience. Far more than just chucking a card into a pci-e slot. This card is definitely niche but it would appeal to ppl with more money than time. The width is a concern but really, how many ppl have a motherboard crammed with add-in cards nowadays? If these clowns would add native wifi support to PC motherboards I would have nothing else but graphics cards plugged in.
    SSDs, RAID cards, sound cards

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    how many people honestly buy PCIE SSDs?

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah anybody with an SSD nowadays is just plugging it into a sata port. Same goes for raid. As for sound cards they're still relevant but far less so after the loss of hardware acceleration in Windows. Now it's a niche and unnecessary accessory. Point still stands, we have way more slots than we need for a typical setup. What they need to do is position the pcie slots to better accommodate wider graphics cards.

Xtreme Member
    oh everyone that wants performance

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I use two gfx cards and a PCI-E sound card. On the R3E board you can fit two 3 slot graphics cards and the soundcard in between, or 3 dual slot graphics cards and a sound card.

Its a great slot layout and very flexible, but very rarely used on most motherboards.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah anybody with an SSD nowadays is just plugging it into a sata port. Same goes for raid. As for sound cards they're still relevant but far less so after the loss of hardware acceleration in Windows. Now it's a niche and unnecessary accessory. Point still stands, we have way more slots than we need for a typical setup. What they need to do is position the pcie slots to better accommodate wider graphics cards.
    Not too unnecessary, Most motherboard manufactures nowadays use Realtek sound, but they cheep out and don't go for their chip that supports DDL/DTS, optical is practically worthless without that.

Id rather have a single Video card along with am Auzentech sound card, Intel network card, and a raid card, only thing holding me back on the latter is that soon as I buy one, you know one will come out that supports Trim on Raid.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 01-23-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    how many people honestly buy PCIE SSDs?
    Now that the OCZ Revo is around, a lot more than you might think.

This is Xtremesystems remember? There is no such thing as too many slots.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I use two gfx cards and a PCI-E sound card. On the R3E board you can fit two 3 slot graphics cards and the soundcard in between, or 3 dual slot graphics cards and a sound card.

Its a great slot layout and very flexible, but very rarely used on most motherboards.
    The R3E has the best layout (and actually my favourite X58 board). I fit three GTX460s, a PCI soundcard, my ioXtreme PCIe SSD, and my RAID card. I have yet to find another board capable of that.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantsu View Post
    Surround maybe, but 3D will have to wait until we get 120 Hz displays over 1080p. Not that even GTX 580 SLI would have enough power for that.
    Except you can't do surround 3D on anything but nvidia's LCD monitors, no TVs, ever.

Xtreme Addict
    Why the hell they fit dual DVI + HDMI + DP, it can still operate 2 monitors

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Duniek View Post
    Why the hell they fit dual DVI + HDMI + DP, it can still operate 2 monitors
    So you have as many options for a single card as possible. They have plenty of space at the back anyway...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Overclockers have the Phantom 570s in stock, I really really like the cooler, but £320 each

Ouch, noty. I'd need to have two, even if one would suffice. They would look awesome on my mobo

I am Xtreme
    Fudzilla posted the first look article. Looks like a great card. Very expensive, though...
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gainward GeForce GTX 580 Phantom 3072MB Review

http://vr-zone.com/articles/gainward...iew/10933.html

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cold2010 View Post
    Gainward GeForce GTX 580 Phantom 3072MB Review

http://vr-zone.com/articles/gainward...iew/10933.html
    Thanks.
    Seems to OC decently:
    Bumping the GPU voltage from 1.0V to 1.125V, we were able to reach 955MHz for the core, 1910MHz for the shader and 2150MHz (4300MHz effective) for the memory.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hehe @ $20 more, I see pixmania selling it for 770€.. juuuuust 270€ more :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Addict
    Not bad for $20 premium.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    hehe @ $20 more, I see pixmania selling it for 770€.. juuuuust 270€ more :p

i think pixmania has a "random price" guy, they sell the Gainward GooD for 639€ and had a special offer this WE for 469...wich is a good price compared to the around 500€ you find it elsewhere ^^

well don't pay too much attention to off the charts prices from pixmania
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Member
    That card will do some serious iray rendering.
    sexy
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks very nice!
    Team XS: xs4s.org

I am Xtreme
    Who's going to be first to put a water block or a pot on it?

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/h...-card-february

Edit: didnt know where to put it (dam nubs)
    Last edited by cronicash; 01-27-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    EVGA sr2 2x x5667 8c/16t total with EVbot (@ 4.3ghz 24/7) | EVbot | 12Gbddr3 2300mhz stock Gskill CL9 |4x gtx480 on h20|4x 128x corsair ssd |6x wd 2tb| 2x Strider 1500watt + 500 watt |2x swiftech XT ultra ,3x quad rads with two loops | mountain mod case||5.1Ghz,best|Laptopell XPS 1730| 4Gb| 2x 9800gtx build log

Xtreme Member
    If EK make some beautiful blocks for it i will have trouble not to trade the 480:s for this one. I know they are doing one for the nonref. GTX570 Gainward.
    540€ komplett wants for it i can accept x3.
    Last edited by E.R; 01-28-2011 at 03:07 AM.
    EVGA Classified E762- i7-980X cooled by EK Supreeme HF- 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000- 3x 100GB OCZ vertex2 SSD@raid0- 3x Gainward GTX580 Phantom 3GB (soon)ooled by EK)- Silverstone strider ST1500 1500W- Win7 Ultimate X64- LG W3000H- X-Fi Titanium Pro -Logitech Z5500
    Custom WC-cooling with Thermochill PA120.3, PA140.3, 2x Feser 480 Quadrad, Scythe GT1850rpm, Noiseblocker PK3 and Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC-tops

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by E.R View Post
    If EK make some beautiful blocks for it i will have trouble not to trade the 480:s for this one. I know they are doing one for the nonref. GTX570 Gainward.
    540€ komplett wants for it i can accept x3.
    EK are doing a water block for the non-rerefence GTX 570 Gainward? The Palit/Gainward use the same PCB as the 570 card so maybe that watercooler would work on these 580 cards?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast