Thread: [Worklog]And so it has began. i7 950, gtx470(sli), 700D going under

[Worklog]And so it has began. i7 950, gtx470(sli), 700D going under

I have been planning on putting together my first water coooling loop for the past month or two. I'll be cooling an i7 950 4ghz and an OC'ed GTX470, with future plans to upgrade to sli. I've done hours of thread reading and part searching, building up my cart little by little but have yet to buy anything, until now.

For christmas I received a $35 newegg gift card, but had no idea what I was going to get with it(first time I have ever had this problem). I found the mcr655, finally in stock, for $84 after shipping, plus the gift card, so essentially I got it for $50 shipped.

Attached is a screenshot of my current cart, un-purchased. I'm currently in the process saving up funds to make one bulk order to save on shipping costs. Along with everything there, the mcr655 pump from newegg, the LUND PomPlex resevoir I'm purchasing from ChilledPC UK, and some distilled water, I should have everything I need.

There are a few mods I am going to make to the case before i start the loop.
    1. I have to mod the top of the case to fir the 480 radiator, which I'll probably cut with a dremel, then file it the rest of the way. The cut doesn't have to look perfect since it's going to be covered by the Phobya radiator grill anyway, but i still want it to look halfway decent.
    2. I'm going to enclose the PSU bay with a piece I cut from the spare 700D side panel I have. Drill a few small holes in the side of the divider, tap it, and secure it with some black 4-40 screws.
    3. I was thinking about cutting a front fan intake to get some extra fresh air pumped into the case. If not, then I could get a 5.25" drive bay fan and throw another wing 12 in there
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21092
    4. Not a mod, but still something to think about. Is it worth it to get some yate loons to put in pull and have the gelids pushing? My main concern is motherboard clearance. The X-Changer is slightly thicker than the RX480 and I've seen pictures with that rad with push/pull and it's cutting it awfully close
    Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'll update with pics and mods regularly when anything new happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart.jpg 
Views:	1661 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	111339  

Xtreme Guru
    Looks nice, I see your going with a black/green theme , Fans arent the best.. Could always get some GT's and spray the fin..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Looks nice, I see your going with a black/green theme , Fans arent the best.. Could always get some GT's and spray the fin..
    I knew the fans would get some complaints, but I already have two and love them. I might get 4 yates anyway since they are cheap and do a temp and noise comparison.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Xtreme Guru
    Well whats the specs on the fans? I know martinm has done some really good fan testing reviews in the Liquid section, Might have tested the gelid fans.. i know he has tested the yates though..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Well whats the specs on the fans? I know martinm has done some really good fan testing reviews in the Liquid section, Might have tested the gelid fans.. i know he has tested the yates though..
    here is a link to their website. They look like they are basically the same exact fan as the nanoxia fx12
    Gelid Wing 12
    Nanoxia FX12

Xtreme Member
    I have used both types of fans.
    Gelid UV and UV Nanoxia.
    Quality bearings and work culture at a similar level.
    Lookin very nice illuminated cathode rays.

Nanoxia Green UV

Gelid Blue UV

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by morencyam View Post
    here is a link to their website. They look like they are basically the same exact fan as the nanoxia fx12
    Gelid Wing 12
    Nanoxia FX12
    Just need to find a review, kind of sick of using gt's, Everyone uses them and thats all that everybody recommends, We honestly need to revamp more fans! Also wouldnt it be better to get PWM fans so you can just hook them straight up the fan controller? Would be easier and less clutter..

Just need to find a review, kind of sick of using gt's, Everyone uses them and thats all that everybody recommends, We honestly need to revamp more fans! Also wouldnt it be better to get PWM fans so you can just hook them straight up the fan controller? Would be easier and less clutter..
    I'm getting a lamptron fan controller as well, just not sure which one yet. I can't decide between the Laptron Touch or the FC-5. I'm leaning more towards the touch since I've seen that installed in other 7/800D's and it looks really nice.

Xtreme Guru
    Both are decent controllers, Go with the one which suits your theme and supports the higher wattage per channel..

Both are decent controllers, Go with the one which suits your theme and supports the higher wattage per channel..
    I believe they both support 30 watts per channel

Xtreme Guru
    Well there you have it..

I just ordered my radiator from Jab-tech. I went with a TC PA120.4 since the feser was out of stock at ppcs. hopefully it will be here by the end of the week and I can get some pictures uploaded

A Lund pomplex res is also on its way. Pictures of both, res and rad, will be taken when they arrive

Lots of Updates, with pictures

A lot of new parts came in and i finished sleeving the psu cables since the last update. I ran out of sleeve so i have to order more to finish the front I/O, fans, and pump power cable. I'm not going to waste time sleeving the stock CPU cooler either since it'll be gone soon. The PSU bay cover was cut out with a jigsaw from the extra 700D side panel since I have the 800D side panel. Currently, it is being held on with electrical tape near the HDD cage, but that will be replaced with a few screws when I cut the hole for the radiator. The remaining parts will are be ordered from ppcs when funds become available. I went out to Micro Center Yesterday to buy parts to build a rig for my buddy and picked up a Xigmatek fan and a feser 8 ft retail pack of ID3/8 OD1/2 on clearance for $6!

Last edited by morencyam; 02-27-2011 at 07:53 PM.

I am Xtreme
    You really should resize your pictures. No one is going to want to view your thread if they have to constantly scroll back and forth.

barfastic
    wtf.... i think i can actually see pixels! hehe.... try making them a bit smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    You really should resize your pictures. No one is going to want to view your thread if they have to constantly scroll back and forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    wtf.... i think i can actually see pixels! hehe.... try making them a bit smaller!
    better?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by morencyam View Post
    better?
    Much. Before I couldn't even view the pictures on a 2560x1440 monitor.

Xtreme Guru
    Nothing better then new hardware goodies

Xtreme Addict
    Just need to find a review, kind of sick of using gt's, Everyone uses them and thats all that everybody recommends, We honestly need to revamp more fans!
    Lol, can't handle it that the GT's went mainstream? Hipster !

@morencyam: Great update. Pics look a lot better when resized.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Lol, can't handle it that the GT's went mainstream? Hipster !

@morencyam: Great update. Pics look a lot better when resized.
    lol dam straight, thing is i still use them and recommend them