View Poll Results: What tickles your fancy?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3

5 5.95%
  • ASUS Xonar Essence ST/ STX

29 34.52%
  • Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD

3 3.57%
  • Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G

1 1.19%
  • Auzentech Auzen X-Fi Forte

9 10.71%
  • Auzentech Auzen X-Fi Bravura

2 2.38%
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

13 15.48%
  • HT Omega Claro Plus+

5 5.95%
  • Other (specify)

17 20.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite soundcard?

What is your favorite soundcard?

So which company is taking all our monies?
    i7 920 @ 3GHz / Noctua NH-D14/ GA-EX58-Extreme / 3x2 G.SKILL DDR3 1600 / GeForce GTX 560 Ti / Torqx 2 128GB / Enermax Revolutions 85+ 1050w / HAF 932 /

Xtreme Member
    NuForce uDAC2, but if you MUST go PCI/PCIe, ASUS Xonar series.

There are better USB dac/amps out there, but I forget their names very frequently... as they are hard to find in the USA.

I am Xtreme
    I am going to vote Xonar HDAV1.3 since you don't even list the D2/D2X which are way more used cards. Both the D2 and D2X are my favourite cards I have purchased to date.

YouTube Addict
    via envy.

Have yet to find another sound card that sounds better and it only costs $35
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    If you look at the basics, it is C-Media 8788 vs Creative X-Fi. Most of which I think use close to reference or the actual reference design. What you are really comparing here and asking for an opinion on is the better, more accurate C-Media 8788 compared to other peoples preference of the Creative X-Fi that gives EAX processing for better positional audio and lots of fake processing that makes your audio not true to the original.

My favorite for the money? Audio-GD FUN, an external sound card similar to the above posters NuForce uDAC2. If money is no object, then the Audio-GD NFB-8

If my choice is limited to an internal card only, then the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G or HT-Omega Claro Plus+
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member

Soundcard Recommendation

[This message expresses the views of myself, not necessarily the views of this forum or any one else in particular]

Sound cards are awesome. I love mine and it made a considerable impact on my setup --> http://www.nrnl.org/post129.html#p129 . Whether one needs it or not is not up for debate, what sound card is best is and I say ASUS Xonar Essence ST/X. Personally got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX Soundcard recently and couldn't be more happier with it. I, too was fed up with Creative's less than stellar performance and driver reliability ever since I gave up my old SB Live! Value lol. I can't fault my card, and has been an excellent addition to my audio setup, but don't take my word for it -

Here if ya can be bothered please read some of the following reviews or opinions from many a respected source audio and computer industry wise -->

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=766494
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-x...ce-stx-review/
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...r_essence_stx/
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2339333,00.asp
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...sence-stx.html
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/a...le_soundcard/8
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/rev...ar_essence_stx
    http://www.stereophile.com/computera...tx_soundcards/
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/sound...pressions.html

Apparently for my purpose (Playback using 2-Channel Audio + Analog out to my new high quality amp and speakers) it hands down beats the like of the Creative cards, themselves and the high end Creative cards by Auzentech, the M-Audio Audiophile 192 Card, ESI Juli@, any onboard by absolute miles, and at least on par if not better than some High-End music production cards from the likes of RME and LYNX.

Also passes through surround sound through SP/DIF and TOSLINK connection in case you were wondering.

I also do prefer Dolby Digital for my games over EAX, is subjective as once again most things are with sound. If you the read numerous reviews of the STX given, then you would see that the STX is *almost* on par for games, and superior for music and movies. I do music production and listen to a massive variety of music, and as stated for my uses it suites me perfectly :-) I have "bit-perfection" working perfectly too, and don't see how anyone else shouldn't either. For a description of bit-perfect and bit-accurate playback refer to this article --> http://www.nrnl.org/post115.html#p115

A few more tid bits of information; A list of games using OpenAL and aLchemy:
    aLchemy Games -
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/alch.../AllItems.aspx

OpenAL Games -
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...iki/Games.aspx

Also Unreal Engine 3 is able to use OpenAL, DirectSound3D or FMOD.

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by CanTwo View Post
    So which company is taking all our monies?
    WOW, did you ask what was your favorite card or for a lot of Schill advertising? Anyway, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and wouldn't trade it for anything=P It is installed perfectly with the HDA-Digital out from my nVidia 260 in my HTPC. Don't need to put down Asus or anyone because I like this one better Favorite old school card is the MX-300 followed closely by the Aureal SQ-2500 (still have one BTW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    via envy.

Have yet to find another sound card that sounds better and it only costs $35
    thats what the HT omegas are but with amps built in.

i stil like my sba2 plat pro but if i bought again i think i would go onboard then coax out to a reciver
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    I like card with the C-media CMI8738 chips and similar units. Turtle beach puts them into nice soundcards.

They sound good, driver are working and to the point (unlike Creative).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    I like card with the C-media CMI8738 chips and similar units. Turtle beach puts them into nice soundcards.

They sound good, driver are working and to the point (unlike Creative).
    First of all, CMI8738 doesn't sound like anything. The ADC and DACs and etc... make the sound. Most of the Processing is done by the CPU and the CMI is merely a Conduit. Even with a smaller *driver package CMI8738 still has problems as well.
    Last edited by Donnie27; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: * added driver to package
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    First of all, CMI8738 doesn't sound like anything. The ADC and DACs and etc... make the sound. Most of the Processing is done by the CPU and the CMI is merely a Conduit. Even with a smaller package CMI8738 still has problems as well.
    I said I like cards with this chip and it's relatives. They are expensive chips and they end up on nice soundcards that also have decent analog parts. Plus you don't get to deal with Creative's so-called drivers.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    I said I like cards with this chip and it's relatives. They are expensive chips and they end up on nice soundcards that also have decent analog parts. Plus you don't get to deal with Creative's so-called drivers.
    Sorry but Creative's so called drivers work for me and have always worked except for one Asus A8N32X and I know it was the board because they worked on the 16X version of the same board. Yes, I've worked on systems with problematic C-Media Crap-O-la as well. Sooner or later motherboard makers will catch on and do the same things HT Omega, Turtle Beech, Asus and others are doing, yes cheap conduits and add nice DACs and ADCs.

Again, I voted Auzentech Prelude that has very nice hardware as well, so I agree, it is relative

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I know it's not the newest out there, I'm still rather fond of my Auzen X-Fi Prelude.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    thats what the HT omegas are but with amps built in.
    Actually the HT Omegas use C-Media. VIA doesn't even make the Envy anymore. It's been replaced by the Vinyl Tremor which is pretty much only showing up on cheap sound cards.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    I personally use a Little Dot DAC_I--which is an external stereo-only DAC.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does anyone know if Asus is releasing a successor to the ST/STX soon?
    The range has been out for at least 2yrs now...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Does anyone know if Asus is releasing a successor to the ST/STX soon?
    The range has been out for at least 2yrs now...
    The Xense. You just can't buy it without the bundled headphones. What I would really like Asus to do is release an updated version of the STX that has the features of the ST. Mainly the option to use to daughter expansion card. I am going to be forced to buy two sound cards for my next system since i want to use headphones as well as 5.1 analog.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No the Xense is not an improvement over the ST/X.
    If your modern ATX MB doesn't have a spare PCI (mine does) just get a PCI2PCIe adapter so you can plug your ST into a PCIe slot.
    The only potential improvement on the horizon is the Essence One, but it's a external solution

I am Xtreme
    If your modern ATX MB doesn't have a spare PCI (mine does) just get a PCI2PCIe adapter so you can plug your ST into a PCIe slot.
    How is something like that suppose to fit in any normal case?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you define "normal" as sub-ATX I don't.
    I definitely want ATX (maybe even a tad bigger) for my AIO BE+FE HTPC/PVR build.
    I'll have multiple front-ends only which are smaller of course.

Xtreme Addict
    ESI Juli@

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

I am Xtreme
    If you define "normal" as sub-ATX I don't.
    I definitely want ATX (maybe even a tad bigger) for my AIO BE+FE HTPC/PVR build.
    I'll have multiple front-ends only which are smaller of course.
    I my case is an HTPX case. I just don't see how I can get my Xonar D2 to work. All the PCI Express to PCI adapters I have seen will add extra height to the card. I think only low profile sound cards would work.

I'd honestly love to not be forced to sell my card and fork out more money for an D2X (again).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gravis Ultrasound.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I my case is an HTPX case. I just don't see how I can get my Xonar D2 to work. All the PCI Express to PCI adapters I have seen will add extra height to the card. I think only low profile sound cards would work.

I'd honestly love to not be forced to sell my card and fork out more money for an D2X (again).
    Oh you mean this?
    http://www.maxishine.com.au/forums/v...p?f=40&t=15462
    Didn't think you'd have probs with a full-size like that

Maybe there's some solutions here...
    http://hardwareforall.com/hwdb/risers.html

What are you doing with a D2 anyway, you should have an Essence ST + H6!

I am Xtreme
    Oh you mean this?
    http://www.maxishine.com.au/forums/v...p?f=40&t=15462
    Didn't think you'd have probs with a full-size like that

Maybe there's some solutions here...
    http://hardwareforall.com/hwdb/risers.html

What are you doing with a D2 anyway, you should have an Essence ST + H6!
    The problem is the height of the card. all the adapters add a lot of height. You are either stuck w/ half height PCI card or you need to have a case that has horizontal expansion slots like some ultra slim cases. There is almost no way I can tell to get a PCIe to PCI adapter to fit in a normal ATX case.

I would have an Essense ST + H6 if my motherboard had PCI slots. Now I am going to be stuck w/ purchasing both an D2X and an Essense STX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast