Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: AMD Launches HD 6770 AND HD 6750 (Rename!!)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    -snip-
    Regardless of the naming, pricing and performance the average consumer usually has a definite budget, i.e., they only have $100 for a video card and will decide based on the marketing crap in each box. They are more likely to be fooled by crap like 1gb/2gb buffer size, cuda/physx, 3d or eyefinity on low end cards. Nvidia does it, AMD does it, and most people are ignorant. I can pretend to be outraged but what will that achieve?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by insurgent View Post
    Are you speaking about the "knowledge and experience" I gained through the years? That's just part of the effect of being interested in computer hardware and as such, the time spent is worth it since I wanted to learn/know.

When I'm on the market for something I spend just a couple of hours making a short list from reviews and threads, more time is actually spent trying to decide between them and justifying the more expensive choice.
    well for you and me its interesting, for others it isn't most people don't like researching hw like we do, and its a significant amount if time it takes... for them making an informed buying decision isn't easy, if even impossible since they don't have the time...

That's what I meant... its easy to say people should make educated buyibg decisions, but for most people its not easy at all or even impossible

Xtreme Member
    Yes, in the same way I don't spend much time learning about mobile phones or compact cameras. Other people are "passionate" about it but for me, as long as it works it's good enough. It depends on the person's priorities and interests. Yeah the rebrands are stupid gimmicks but the 677x are placed according to their performance and price segment in relation to the other 6xxx products, the OP is a drama queen.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by insurgent View Post
    Yes, in the same way I don't spend much time learning about mobile phones or compact cameras. Other people are "passionate" about it but for me, as long as it works it's good enough. It depends on the person's priorities and interests. Yeah the rebrands are stupid gimmicks but the 677x are placed according to their performance and price segment in relation to the other 6xxx products, the OP is a drama queen.
    It is not priced well at all. It is priced way too close to the 6850. They are the same price at bestbuy

Price for performance should jump with every new series. Considering this card cost the same as the last generation and doesn't increase performance overall, this card is overpriced. I.E 5770 performance should not cost 190 dollars this generation. That is just terrible pricing. Bestbuy really doesn't change it's price to match market price(they leave the price at MSRP) and the 6770 is priced the same as the 6850.

A quick look at benchmarks show the 6850 is about 40% faster than 6770(or5770). How is it being priced correctly when they share the same price and one has a tremendous performance increase over the other?

Insurgent, explain to me how this is priced correctly when the 6850 and the 6770 are priced the same?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+R...6850&cp=1&lp=3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+AT...6770&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/H...D_6850/28.html

To illustrate how bad this rebrand actually is think about this.

When Nvidia gtx 9800 was launched. It was sold for 300 dollars. Now when the gts 250 launched, it was sold at 159 dollars. So its price was adjusted to match market conditions to some extent. The 6770 card launched at 190(more or less the 5770 launch price) and still offers the same performance and the same price with updated competition. As a result, it likely offers some of the poorest price/performance of any card out right now. This would be like if the 9800gtx was launched at 300 dollars and the gts 250 was launched again at 300 dollars.

Atleast give the consumers a discount if this is an old chip.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 04-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It didn't affect me as much as the 8800/9800 rename did, because I'm already used to it. Especially on the mobile end. I guess it's one of those things that are more beneficial if you do it later than your competitor.

Xtreme Addict
    To illustrate how bad this rebrand actually is think about this.

When Nvidia gtx 9800 was launched. It was sold for 300 dollars. Now when the gts 250 launched, it was sold at 159 dollars. So its price was adjusted to match market conditions to some extent. The 6770 card launched at 190(more or less the 5770 launch price) and still offers the same performance and the same price with updated competition. As a result, it likely offers some of the poorest price/performance of any card out right now. This would be like if the 9800gtx was launched at 300 dollars and the gts 250 was launched again at 300 dollars.

Atleast give the consumers a discount if this is an old chip.
    Apples and oranges. The G92 at that time was over a year and a half old. They dropped G92b from $300 to $150 because it dropped from offering low-highend performance to midrange performance and because the competition had a much stronger card at that price range.

And they did do that... 8800GTS 512mb launched in the same price range as the 9800GTX, even when a lowly $150-$200 card was offering similar performance. It wasn't until they shrunk to 55nm that they dropped the price at all.

Edit- And I'm not sure what the fuss is about... It is an OEM only product... I guess XFX decided to do a deal with BB and BB is trying to make a good margin on it.
    6790 is at $150, no one should be buying a GPU from BB these days anyways.
    It is pretty funny though that I bought the 4850 the day it launched for $150 at BB and now they are offering a very slightly better card for more money. Hell, I can get to 800core on my 4850, so other than the 1gb of GDDR5 and better power/thermals, it isn't even that much better.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 04-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Apples and oranges. The G92 at that time was over a year and a half old. They dropped G92b from $300 to $150 because it dropped from offering low-highend performance to midrange performance and because the competition had a much stronger card at that price range.

And they did do that... 8800GTS 512mb launched in the same price range as the 9800GTX, even when a lowly $150-$200 card was offering similar performance. It wasn't until they shrunk to 55nm that they dropped the price at all.

Edit- And I'm not sure what the fuss is about... It is an OEM only product... I guess XFX decided to do a deal with BB and BB is trying to make a good margin on it.
    6790 is at $150, no one should be buying a GPU from BB these days anyways.
    It is pretty funny though that I bought the 4850 the day it launched for $150 at BB and now they are offering a very slightly better card for more money. Hell, I can get to 800core on my 4850, so other than the 1gb of GDDR5 and better power/thermals, it isn't even that much better.
    How is it apple and oranges, they are almost the same. I will revise your original message to show you this.

The 5770(it was released in october of 2009) at that time was over a year and a half old. They didn't drop the price from 190 to $100 even though it had dropped from offering midrange performance to low range performance and because the competition(from competitors and their own cards) had a much stronger card at that price range.

Actually the pricing of this card is more stupid, so it could be apple and oranges because atleast the g92 price was adjusted in the rebadges so the consumer wasn't crazy ripped off vs the competition.

I agree that OEM, it wouldn't be making a big deal. But it is in a retail store(a big player at that). The worst thing is that a person buying a videocard from bestbuy, is exactly the type of customer to make a ill informed buying decision. A person that doesn't do research and doesn't look for the best price online. BTW, bestbuy doesn't sell the 6790. AND knowing bestbuy they are going to put a new sticker right beside the 6770 to make it look more attractive and better than it is. The thing that makes this rebadge so bad is the pricing. It is launching at the launch price of the 5770.

This is likely not bestbuy making huge profit margins as much as it is more likely them selling the card at the MSRP xfx gave them(So this could be more of a strike against XFX than AMD, but AMD should control their partners). The pricing of past 5770 cards show this. Bestbuy is just really bad at adjusting pricing to true market worth overtime.

If you look at the gtx 9800 vs the gts 8800 512Mb. Although similar cards, the gtx 9800 is a faster card through clocks alone. So it should be priced more expensive. These cards came out very close to each other so it should be no surprise that they were priced as they are. The 5770 came out a year and a half ago, comes with the same price and performance(while a whole crap load of competition has sprouted out). The 9800gtx card came out 4 months after the 8800 gts 512 and no new cards had shown up to alter the pricing landscape at that time.

What card was offering similar performance at the time for 150 dollars? If your talking about the 4850. It was released later and was priced at 180-200 dollars at launch. The 9800gtx plus was launched at about the same time as the 4850, had near identical performance and costed pretty close to the same. It just didn't have the directx 10.1 feature set.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 04-24-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    This is likely not bestbuy making huge profit margins as much as it is more likely them selling the card at the MSRP xfx gave them(So this could be more of a strike against XFX than AMD, but AMD should control their partners). The pricing of past 5770 cards show this. Bestbuy is just really bad at adjusting pricing to true market worth overtime.
    False... It is exactly that. Just like BB doesn't mark up rocketfish HDMI cables 10x higher than other places... Come on, this is bestbuy we are talking about.

I doubt XFX is charging them more than $120 for these cards, probably closer to $100.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Insurgent, explain to me how this is priced correctly when the 6850 and the 6770 are priced the same?
    Well here's the thing, I can't find a 6770 in newegg except in an OEM system and it's unavailable here locally so unless it starts showing up in most major retailers at those high prices I'll just blame it on best buy or maybe even XFX, right?

Xtreme Member
    they should rename the reviews, just change the name of the card in the graphics

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay, AMD, you sucks !! Not as much sucking as nVidia's renaming in the past and present, but sucks nonetheless.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    VGA ports?
    ewww.....

Looks like u can flash 5700 card with 6700 bios and get bluray3d andd hdmi 1.4a for free

Xtreme Member
    That sucks but I doubt it will be priced the same as 6850 as tajoh111 said, if it's priced accordingly I couldn't care less.

Xtreme Member
    Isn't it amazing how this 1.5 year old 170mm^2 chip holds up? Best chip of the Evergreen series IMO.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post
    Isn't it amazing how this 1.5 year old 170mm^2 chip holds up? Best chip of the Evergreen series IMO.
    Totally agreed. It's this generation's G92....in more ways than one.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by netkas View Post
    Looks like u can flash 5700 card with 6700 bios and get bluray3d andd hdmi 1.4a for free
    i just picked up a 5770. i may try flashing it to a 6700 when more of these cards are available
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Totally agreed. It's this generation's G92....in more ways than one.
    That analogy crossed my mind too.

At least it isn't slower than a 5770.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Last edited by cold2010; 04-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cold2010 View Post
    HD 5770 , $97.99 after mail-in rebate card
    That's a 5750 in your link. And those MIRs a bit shady, do they even exist anywhere outside the USA?

And it's at 108$ without the MIR.
    Last edited by DarthShader; 04-28-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Xtreme Mentor

In reality the only difference is that AMD allows graphics card manufacturers to reduce the frequency of GDDR5 from 1150 MHz to 1000 MHz for the Radeon HD 6750. One example where the models Sapphire and PowerColor, which will therefore slightly less efficient than the Radeon HD 5750.
    Hardware.fr

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456