Thread: [Solved] Jump starting a computer

[Solved] Jump starting a computer

Is there a 'safe' way to power on a computer if the front panel power button and the power button pins on the motherboard do not work?

I've tried two front panel buttons and i've also tried shorting pins on the motherboard but the computer does not start.

Power is going to the board and i've jump started the psu and also tested it with a meter so can confirm that it's working properly.

I found the following on YouTube which looks like what I need to do but was just wondering if it was safe to do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYb7UaWip8w

The guy is using a pair of uninsulated tweezers so I was just wondering if that was a bit risky?
    Last edited by DoubleCored; 02-07-2011 at 04:19 PM.

i can't recall exactly, but i am pretty sure i've seen that done before. i am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with powering the system on in that way. you're more or less doing the same thing with the power switch.
    the biggest detail is to make sure that once it powers on is to pull the connection you used to power it on. if you leave it in it will possibly cause damage.

i am pretty sure it's ok, but just to be on the safe side, i'd suggest waiting for a few others input beyond my own

Xtreme 3D Team
    I got an old broken fan and cut the molex wires, stripped both ends, I simply slide both ends into the 24 pin (havent done it in a while, cant remember which pins) when I do leak testing for water cooling.

Actually here:
    http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-...upply-psu.html

Use a wire like I do, or the paperclip and simply start it from the back of the connector instead of the front. I wont guarantee this is safe for your motherboard though, your other components and PSU will be fine.

Shorting the two pins on the motherboard is exactly what the power switch does...I use a flathead screwdriver when a motherboard is involved.
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    Is the power on pins are a goner you can try to short them on the backside (if ther are contacts that go throught the mobo), to be on the mor esave side, but the method as shown in the youtube video also wroks. I do it when i refill my water loop, but for that i have a modified molex conector, but in an emergency situation a normal paperclip also is ok.

Thanks for all the replies.

I followed the advice about using a bit of molex wire and used that to jump start it. It kinda worked. Everything on the board powered up but it still didn't post. I tried a different gpu but the same happened so it's looking like the board is knackered somewhere.

It's covered by manufacturer warranty for a few more months so I have contacted ASUS to arrange an RMA.

Thanks again....if anyone can think of anything else to try, i'll be grateful for the advice

Things are working again. Not sure what the problem was though.

I decided to set things up outside the case again, the only difference with previous attempts was that I used a different RAM module in a different slot. I shorted the front panel pins and it came to life. I repeated the steps moving the module to each of the other slots and after shorting the pins, it started each time. I then set things back up in the case with just minimal hardware (1 stick RAM, CPU, heatsink/fan, GPU). This time I reconnected the front panel pins and the power button worked. I then reconnected my hard drives, other hardware and case fans and it was still working.

I'm at a total loss as to why it didn't want to power on for a few days. Could the m/b had been grounded? Seems strange that the issues were present in two cases though.

Anyway, i'm happy. Thanks for the replies

Xtreme Addict
    Did you check the original RAM module?

Also, issues with HSF plates or mounts could also short something..
    Seems like it was either OVP or a short....

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Did you check the original RAM module?

Also, issues with HSF plates or mounts could also short something..
    Seems like it was either OVP or a short....
    Thanks for the reply.

All 4 RAM modules are in the box and there has been no sign of any problems so far. I will test each stick over the next few days with memtest86 just to be sure.