Thread: Vega's 2600k + Quad-6970 chilled build

Xtreme Enthusiast

Vega's 2600k + Quad-6970 chilled build

Trying to set up a chilled water cooled setup with the following components in a triple loop (1x CPU, 2x 6970, 2x 6970):

i7 2600K
    4x AMD 6970 GPU's
    ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL9D-8GBXLD

Chiller: New LG 15,000 BTU window air conditioner. As large as I could find and still stay 115 V. I went with new for the warranty and if I screw something up in the setup I can claim it was defective and return it to the store. I went with a window unit as I plan on kicking the computer heat outside in the spring/summer/fall and heating up the house by bringing the unit inside in the winter.

Components:

Haven't bought a pump, whats considered some of the best these days? Thinking about dual Iwaki MD20RLT. I have to pump 1/2" ID tubing with a total length of about 30 feet. To lessen condensation, was thinking about going Tygon Norprene 1/2" ID 3/4" OD high pressure. http://www.tygon.com/norprene-a60fib...re-tubing.aspx

Some questions on the air conditioner: how cool do you think this unit can get the CPU and 4x GPU's? I am thinking about using this to house the evaporator: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091241

It's one of the only ones that I can find that could fit my 25" wide x 5" deep evaporator. Plus if I don't want a super large amount of coolant I could just put water tight containers in there to control the volume. I plan on using distilled water plus water wetter and small blocks of pure silver. I can add propylene glycol to the mix if I somehow get below freezing. I won't use any toxic stuff as I have pets.

Anyone know if this compressor is good at all? I couldn't find anything on Google.

Anyone have any good ideas on bending this evaporator out of the unit? I'd like to extend it out about 5 inches and angle it at 45 deg for the Rubbermaid cooler. I have heard horror stories about kinking the tubing and such, or even worse and venting all of the R-401A. Would a heat gun help at all where I need to straighten/bend?

Any tips in general for what I am trying to accomplish here?
    Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 01-19-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My thinking has strayed a bit from the chest. With the ice chest I would have to pull the evaporator out, cut a slit for the pipes etc. It would be unwieldy and it would be a huge pain getting the A/C unit in and out of the window with the attached ice chest.

Then I thought, why not make the evaporator ice water container built into the A/C unit itself? There is actually quite a bit of room once the evaporator Styrofoam and fan is removed. Obviously a rigid ice chest would be near impossible to fit in there seeing as the evaporator is just an inch or two shy of the whole unit width.

So then I was thinking, don't they make insulated thermal bags/sacks? I could do a layered insulated bag type setup. Wrap the whole evaporator in the bag and there would be a single exit/entry point for all lines/connections that could easily be sealed air tight. This would allow the whole unit to be self contained nice and tidy plus I wouldn't have to do much if any tube bending.

So the compressor and condenser coil hangs outside dumping all the heat and noise. The only thing inside the house is the evaporator and everything else is sealed. With no evaporator fan and the evaporator chamber sealed from the condenser chamber, you could see how this would be a quite quiet setup. I could insulate the temperature probe so that at lower temperatures it thinks its at a higher temperature so I could control it with the remote.

Now the hard part is finding large, tough, durable, thermal insulated bags.

Xtreme Member
    How will you secure the bags so they don't just fall off? They might get a little heavy once filled with water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

I am Xtreme
    Please let us know how you find these 6970 blocks. Temps, flow, installation, whatever you can mention.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This build has drastically changed. I'll make a new build thread.