Thread: Astro Headsets

Xtreme Cruncher

Astro Headsets

Astro has release their new A40 headsets. Wired or wireless. Link below.

"The ASTRO A40 2011 Edition Gaming Headset, part of the award-winning ASTRO A40 Audio System, lets you game like a pro more than ever before. "

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...4/A40-Headset/
    Once known as GibbonThree

Xtreme Guru
    jesus 200 bucks!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    One of the features is:

New ear cushion for enhanced audio and comfort.
    • Blocks out more sound.
    • Delivers more Bass.

I'm trying to get away from the crap that has an inverted curve (peaks at high treble and low bass). After listening to some studio setups, it's really left a bad taste in my mouth of how overboosted all of these gaming headsets are.

I'm going to pass on these.
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how is this news?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Seriously, for $200 get a real pair of headphones and a cheapo Zalman mic and you'd have a better setup then this.

bee boo bop bop crunch.
    $200?
    Heh, grab some Sennheisers.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    jesus 200 bucks!
    lol I paid 3 times that for my set, then again is for audiophiles

c[_]
    Paid half that for my good old sony's.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaivan View Post
    Seriously, for $200 get a real pair of headphones and a cheapo Zalman mic and you'd have a better setup then this.
    They really need to introduce a noise cancelling boom clip on. The current mic is unusable in the lan party environment.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    well, you can probably buy a noise-canceling mic and do some soldering.

but isn't that a feature of this new revision, though?

boom... clip-on? how can it be both.

you're making no sense.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    i have a set of professional pioneers that weren't that expensive... even after travel insurance. i haven't used them and don't know what the sound is like, but even pro cans aren't this pricey. what is it about the gaming crowd that makes them spend money on BS like this? :s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    i have a set of professional pioneers that weren't that expensive... even after travel insurance. i haven't used them and don't know what the sound is like, but even pro cans aren't this pricey. what is it about the gaming crowd that makes them spend money on BS like this? :s
    marketing

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    lol I paid 3 times that for my set, then again is for audiophiles
    Haha, I got a set of used HD650's with Cardas Cable for 400 and a nice tube amp to power them, but then they aren't closed headphones so they wouldn't do well in a LAN environment.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaivan View Post
    Haha, I got a set of used HD650's with Cardas Cable for 400 and a nice tube amp to power them, but then they aren't closed headphones so they wouldn't do well in a LAN environment.
    i got a pair of $700 ATH-A900Ti's and had them for 6 months and broke the dam jack, lost my receipt/box so i need to find the correct jack ><

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

c[_]
    Dont need closed cans to do well at a lan. Open ones are sometimes better.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I guess it depends on the environment, open cans aren't very good in loud areas.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    i got a pair of $700 ATH-A900Ti's and had them for 6 months and broke the dam jack, lost my receipt/box so i need to find the correct jack ><
    Wow you got ripped off, you can get those phones for ~400 new

Xtreme Mentor
    $200 on stuido monitor headphones

Destroy these. Something of the Sony variety is pretty bulletproof with them
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    I have the ATH-A900, what's the difference between those and the Ti's?

Xtreme Member
    I bought an Astro headset while ago and so far it's the only headset that survives my rather destructive bad habits, on top of that it's big enough to fit on my big head/ears
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    $200 on stuido monitor headphones
    Destroy these.
    Agreed. Clearly overpriced. Eh, marketing...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    I have the ATH-A900, what's the difference between those and the Ti's?
    Well, the A900Ti (Titanium) is a closed headphone, as opposed to the open AD900 (Air). Therefore, the Titanium definitely does sound different from the Air. It's soundstage is noticeably narrower, of course. Also, the mids are ever so slightly recessed. That is not so much a flaw of the Titanium, as it is a 'feature' of the Air. The latter has more coloration, compared to the former, especially in the mids. Bass texture and detail is somewhat comparable between the two headphones, although the Titanium has way more weight behind it. (Yes, you can really feel the bass.) That has much to do with it being closed, of course. That being said, I do feel the Titanium's bass is better, having more weight or not. It has better extension, I guess. Plus, the Titanium's bass feels a bit slower, which causes it to roll off really nicely. The Air is faster, which means that all tones are gone as fast as they come, including the bass. It's bass may be good, but it just doesn't have the extension the Titanium has.
    Also, I feel that because of the more neutral/recessed mids, the highs sound better. They stand out more than with the Air. That might cause fatigue with some headphones, but not with the Titanium. Not at all, in fact. It's an extremely comfortable headphone. It's drivers are angled, unlike the Air's. The driver placement in the Air causes my ears to touch the drivers. That doesn't happen with the Titanium, which helps to make it the more comfortable headphone for me. The Clarino pads are really nice, too. Nothing like the pleather pads of some other headphones. Not as svelte as the Air's velours pads, though.
    All in all, yes, I really do think the Titanium is the better headphone of the two. It's alot heavier (365g versus 250g), sure, but that's never really an issue. And in the end, it all comes down to how they sound. And in the sound department, the Titanium really shines..

@james, tA900Ti (Titanium) are proffessional use headphones which can be used for studio/gaming anything, these are the ultimate audiophile headphones and will dominate any headphone even if there so called STUDIO headphones in the $200 mark..
    Last edited by Johnny87au; 01-20-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?