Thread: Your story, overclocking or just computers in general...

Xtreme Addict

Your story, overclocking or just computers in general...

Like the title says (lol.. yeah I probably start all my threads like that).
    I don't know if there is a thread like this already, I didn't see one.

I'll start it off.
    I starting working with computers in 2nd grade.
    With apple 2c's, in school.
    Anyone remember oregon trail ?
    Some reason I was the only one allowed to touch it, I don't get why they thaught that.
    Got kicked from that school but most other schools had them too...

My 1st pc was a ibm ps/2 386, I had 2 or 3 of them.
    My mom called up ibm directly and since she wanted more then one they gave her some sort of deal.
    I think it was $500 for all 3 or something, I don't know.
    I learned how to install dos, tweaking and install windows back then.
    I was around 12-13ish at the time.
    Xtree was da shiz....
    Got all my softwarez from the airforce and nws back then from my uncle...(his son's 1st pc was a dual core 286..., that was neat)
    Most of it, mom paid for win 3.11 and os/2, and some of the later rev's of dos.

My 1st overclocking experience was an accident.
    It was with my 1st 486 pc, an ibm ps/1.
    The cpu was one of the 2 overdrive cpu's we had.
    Since we didn't use it anymore, and it was acting up, overheating anyways I would play with it from time to time.
    Toss it up in the air, play hacky sack, and I steped on it a few times by accident.
    Bent the pins on it many times and I would bend them back.
    One day the 2nd overdrive cpu started acting up and was overheating playing doom2.
    So I bent the pins back straight on the 1st one, broke a pin off by accident and threw it in pc.
    Instead of 50mhz it was now a 66mhz ^^.
    Worked good too, still overheated after about half a year of use but it was just heat, it actually stayed stable most of the time.

1st real experience was with a ibm aptiva, pentium 166 cpu.
    I had 2, 1st one went to my mom's business (went bad and been poor since), the white one with the 133mhz cpu.
    The 2nd, a black one, I noticed one day had jumpers, I think it was either fsb(pci) or cpu multiplier, I can't remember.
    I could get it 183mhz stable, 200mhz was never stable because it overheated to much, I didn't have any extra heatsinks or good fans back then.

My 1st big overclock, a nvidia tnt1 card.
    I miss that card...
    Went from stock clock I think it was 90mhz to 255mhz lmao, the max it could go in hex (I modded the driver, I was teen by this time).
    I had to trade it for a hard drive because I was taking apart all my drives at the time for fun, bad idea...
    Some would partially work after, some would have a dead sector 0.
    Well, the ones that would work I'de take apart again and try to de-dust them, lol that would make them worse.
    So I needed a drive fast, I had to trade my $200+ vga card to get a 1.6gig drive :\.

I've had alot of pc's.
    A 350mhz ibm was the last ibm I owned, it was a re-branded acer pos.

The 1st board I built was a socket a/462, aopen kt333.
    Not the greatest choice in boards.
    It did overclock a bit though.
    From 1.3/4ghz to 1.7ghz on a swiftech mcx? 462 heatsink and tornado fan.
    I got a ti4600 and the pc wasn't much faster, it was time to upgrade eventually.

Went to college, hardware class final was about building pc's, bring in a real one or do a presentation.
    I worked all summer and built a setup with a dfi nf2.
    Braught it to school with a 240mhz fsb overclock, 2.4ghz cpu and at the time the mem was running around 380mhz 2timings cas3 (old corsair 333mhz that didn't clock well).
    Impressed a few but the rest of the class didn't care, it was about looks to them.
    I had to quit school the next day, after getting a 100% on that... that was a bummer.

I learned a shiz load with that dfi nf2 though.

What's your story ???
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 01-18-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    All started for me about 2006 when I had to upgrade my PC to play games better (was in grade 9). Did lots of reading online, worked it all out for myself. Then later 2006/early 2007 came across 3D mark benchmarks and scores and was interested by overclocking. However I did not have the money to pay for any good hardware or cooling. Then I got my first SS unit back start of 2009, was heaps of fun. Since then i'v got 2x more SS units, a cascade and used LN2 a few times. Since September 2010 I have quit overclocking, all I do now related to PC is just general usage and a bit of gaming. Now interested in powerlifting as my hobby, at least you dont need a ton of money to get good at it.