Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LGA 1155 Socket Burn: here we go again

Xtreme Addict

LGA 1155 Socket Burn: here we go again

Last year, credible reports of a design defect with LGA1156 sockets made by a certain component manufacturer in particular, made headlines. Reviewers found that extreme overclocking using increase voltages, in test cases, caused certain pins of the socket to burn out, damaging both the board and processor. The defect was found to be caused by shorting between the pins and the socket causing tiny electrical arcs. Motherboard reviewer from TechReaction.net discovered that his Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 and GA-P67A-UD7 samples showed signs of socket burn. The publication is yet to receive a reply from the board manufacturer.

LGA1155 and LGA1156 are very similar in physical pin layout, chip package, and retention clips, although the pin-maps are significantly different. TechReaction comments that while only "extreme conditions" cause such pin burnouts, 24/7-stable overclocked settings could, over a period of time, create similar conditions. Only time, and extensive testing will reveal if burnouts are a cause for concern to enthusiasts.
    techPowerUp!

TechReaction
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Now have got my fingers crossed!

Xtreme Cruncher
    i wonder how many volt's they where using on the OC

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

HWGurus
    There is thread about that... He got it like that from Gigabyte, but again I doubt they used 1.6 - 1.7v

Xtreme Addict
    Just now waiting for my UD5 to arrive, and suddenly my OCD is kicking in like crazy.

This is going to drive me insane lol.

Let's hope it's an isolated incident.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 01-17-2011 at 03:17 AM.

I am Xtreme
    This is a major let down if it keeps going on for yet another socket.
    Bet this will put off a lot of enthusiasts.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Wonder why everytime are gigabyte boards emerging in that
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Lol @ gigabyte fanboys once they see this thread
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Mentor
    Foxconn again????

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa how about my UD7@!!!!
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    I sincerely hope this is an isolated case, as it seems.

Xtreme Addict
    how many volt??

1.6? ok...

1.4? not ok...

Xtreme Addict
    I think it's more a problem of the current than the volts Looks to me as if they heated up too much. An indication for this is the discolouration.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 01-17-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    There is no solution, is a curse for their "socket madness" strategy

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I think it's more a problem of the current than the volts Looks to me as if they heated up too much.
    agreed

higher voltage dosnt burn away metal, higher current which turns into higher temps does.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Wich mainbord on store(review mobo is not the same) have lotes socket?

Great, Gigabyte really needs to get their together, or was it Foxconn or whoever is responsible for this mess really needs to shoot themselves for creating another disaster. First it was P55 boards and they have carried the exact same issue to P67, what a joke. I just invested in a P67 setup myself and I'm not happy to hear this.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    And what is if it isnīt a socket problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I have not used the board at all....I received it in this condition from Gigabyte. My M4E and UD7 are also Foxconn sockets, and have had heavy use without any issues
    maybe a production failure and bad quality check @ gigabyte..

the PINs are 1 VCCIO and 3 VSS.

Administrator
    My UD4 has shown no sign of this problem <yet>
    And none of my P55 boards had this either.

Trying to remember but with the P55 sockets didn't this problem happen to other manufacturers motherboards also and was not limited to Gigabyte ?

Xtreme Addict
    Let's not blow this out of proportion yet, it's only been seen on 2 motherboards by the same guy, not a widespread issue. Before everyone attacks Gigabyte with their pitchforks in hand why don't we wait to see if this is a real problem or just an isolated incident.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    socket can't take that many awesome gigahurts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    Let's not blow this out of proportion yet, it's only been seen on 2 motherboards by the same guy, not a widespread issue. Before everyone attacks Gigabyte with their pitchforks in hand why don't we wait to see if this is a real problem or just an isolated incident.
    Agreed..
    Now I don't push my systems to the degree some of you Xtreme people do but I've benched the Intel board with 1.525vcore up to 5088MHz and seen no issues.
    What I'd like to know is what voltages with what cooling this guy was using when this happenned.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Isnt it a bit early to go bananas over this? It may just be a single incident, and may be related to other reasons...

jarle
    Old Comp:
    Antec 182
    Asus Maximus Formula (Bios 1302)
    Q6600 G0 @3.2GHz @ 1.3V (can easily go higher but NB/SB heat is a problem sadly...)
    Ultra 120-Extreme w/Nexus 12cm realsilent fan
    Corsair Dominator TWIN2X PC8500 4GB DDR2 @ stock/400MHz strap, 1:1 with cpu
    XFX Radeon 6950
    1 x WD Raptor X 150GB
    1 x WD Caviar SE 16 750GB
    Corsair HX620
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

The defect was found to be caused by shorting between the pins and the socket causing tiny electrical arcs.
    For the sake of accuracy, let's just get this straight: This is not the reason because "shorting between the pins" didn't happen. That's absurd. What would happen here is that excessive current would have indirectly caused some pins to overheat. Heat is the product of power dissipating in a material due to its resistance versus how much voltage is being applied (which determines how much current there is). The first thing to know is that physical contact points like that in any connector are high resistance joints versus plain metal (wire, pins, etc). The comparatively higher resistance causes more power to be dissipated at that contact point that in the lower part of the pin. This is further complicated by higher temperatures increasing the resistance of the metal. As either voltage is increased or resistance of the load is decreased (when the CPU is doing more work), more current flows. This causes increased heating proportional to each link in the chain's resistance provided the voltage is constant. In this particular case, the high resistance mechanical junction was the first to fail. More heat was being dissipated than the metal could handle and it essentially melted.

This same effect can be found on connections that are dirty but otherwise normal, such as extension cords. Dirty plugs make for hotter connections. If it gets bad enough, things will eventually burn up. This is also the reason why you have to select a wire that's big enough to handle the amount of current you intend to transfer across it instead of just using the same size of wire for everything from cell phone chargers to car engine starters. The metal has a little bit of resistance to it and you must select a conductor that will not overheat. This is also why you must use a bigger aluminum wire than you would a copper wire. Aluminum has more resistance per distance unit per cross-sectional unit, so it heats more for a given size and distance. If a metal had literally no resistance, you could quite literally use a hair-sized wire to power a city.
    Last edited by Particle; 01-17-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    Going banana over every single incident is what people do on these forums nowadays, heh

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Banned
    Glad i've yet to of made any upgrade moves for a few years!!!

Surly if the pin is touching the pad on the CPU there should be no problem, but clearly it's not for it to ARC. However is it due to the high voltage, well more amp and poor socket pin material at fault

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast