2 15.38%
  • Route the top cable behind the RES and the lower down through the midplate

1 7.69%
  • Other, please explain

1 7.69%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Continuing Madness

I am Xtreme

The Good, The Not So Bad and Two Uglies!

I started the breakdown of the old rig today and since it was rather nice outside, I set up shop on the patio.

I started with this....

I ended with this...

However, here are some pics of the process...

I was very happy to see the Aqua HD look this good after two years!

My homemade "quick dissconnects"

Some of the carnage...and my fingerprints are all over it!

Now for the UGLY

I took both blocks apart and the plating is completely gone in some spots with nothing but copper exposed. This is bizzare to me as I use demineralized H20! Maybe Eddie will chime in? I hope he does because I have two Nickel blocks for the 580's!

It was dusty down here....

Now, I have a decision to make...........

Two pumps or two Rads, that is the question! I am currently leaning towards two pumps. The Feser has never been stressed and I prefer redundancy.

Speaking of the Feser, I washed it out with boiling H20 twice and it was totally clean. I know that some people don't care for Feser, but the Rad has served me well and it will be "sticking" around!

Much more tomorrow. In the mean time, I have a few threads to start in the FS forum! It could be a "blow out sale."

Cheers!

Xtreme Guru
    Two rads for better temps, 2 pumps if your running a restricive loop as in series the results almost tripple.. I cant believe that gpu block man, Was it just plain distilled with PT nuke ?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Two rads for better temps, 2 pumps if your running a restricive loop as in series the results almost tripple.. I cant believe that gpu block man, Was it just plain distilled with PT nuke ?
    Demin H20 with Feser Base which contains ethylene glycol. It was a very small amount, but I have to think that may have caused the problem since nothing else was harmed. Now I am considering exchanging my new EK's for something else.
    Last edited by theseeker; 02-27-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I'd lean towards the 2 radiators because of the 2 580's.

Btw, your GPU block seriously makes it look like someone took a dump in your loop .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    I'd lean towards the 2 radiators because of the 2 580's.

Btw, your GPU block seriously makes it look like someone took a dump in your loop .
    That is what I thought in the beginning too. However, the 285's consume more power at idle than the 580's do and the 580's consume more at load than the 285's. Consider that my 285 GPU's never maxed out above 70 C under full load, I have to think that the 580's will be more efficent overall, but what do I know?

I did contact our "resident guru" before embarking upon this build and he asured me that I would be fine with the 120.4 even after adding the MB cooler. In a perfect world, I would add both, but I do not have that luxury.

Per your final statement, thats bare copper not poo-poo! A friend of mine is analyzing my H20 that I drained and the blocks.
    Last edited by theseeker; 03-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    That is what I thought in the beginning too. However, the 285's consume more power at idle than the 580's do and the 580's consume more at load than the 285's. Consider that my 285 GPU's never maxed out above 70 C under full load, I have to think that the 580's will be more efficent overall, but what do I know?

I did contact our "resident guru" before embarking upon this build and asured me that I would be fine with the 120.4 even after adding the MB cooler. In a perfect world, I would add both, but I do not have that luxury.

Per your final statement, thats bare copper not poo-poo! A friend of mine is analyzing my H20 that I drained and the blocks.
    You could if you were to add the Koolance dual D5 reservoir.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you don't really have many open 5.25" bays.
    Last edited by lowfat; 02-27-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Ahhh dude, feser is the mother of all evil when it comes to Water loops.. stay away!!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    My GOD, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this!
    Jadawgis's Golem

i7 930 4.2Ghz Asus P6T 6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600 GTX 470 SLI 80Gb X25-M G2 1Tb CaviarBlack X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty BFG EX1200W Silverstone Raven RV02BW
    Corsair H50 3x Samsung 2343BWX

Current Build: 800D EK Nickel/Plexi GTX 470 Apogee XT MCP-655 w/ EK X-TOP V.2 EK Multi Advanced 250ml 360 & 240 Rads w/ Gentle Typhoons P6X58D-e X-Fi Titanium Fatality

I am Xtreme
    A very small update today. I added the Koolance MB Block and it looks great. A very easy install and a well engineered block.

OK, before you poo-poo me, this was a dry run.. The "old" blue tubing was used to help me decide the routing in the loop. CPU-MB-VC's

The Copper Kryos will not be used in this build, the color will not work and I could not deal with it! So, I called Sidewinder, and THANKS to GARY the SILVER Kryos HF will be here tomorrow! Many Thanks Gary, Outstanding CS

I will be using white, black and clear tubing in keeping with my original theme and maybe a bit of Mayhem Red

BTW, this is why we H20 cool! Could they have made that cooler any bigger?

This is one Big #%$ or what ever it is...........
    Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by theseeker; 03-05-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Ugliest stock cooler ever imo, even worse then the 1366 ones lol.. well maby not , Keep us posted

Subscribed !!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Ugliest stock cooler ever imo, even worse then the 1366 ones lol.. well maby not , Keep us posted
    It is a 1366 cooler, albeit a 990x cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by YoooH View Post
    Subscribed !!

Many thanks! I appreciate it.

Another update today and a short one. The pics first, then my thoughts and your input!

I still have much to do and a number of decisions to make. Obviously, I still have to remove the little pesky stickers from the MB and figure out the loop, which will be fun.
    You cannot see it in the pics but there is a LSI RAID card between the 580's. I did not want to space them this way, but I had no choice. Now I have to decide how I want to connect the 580's? I am leaning towards the "Crystal" option as it will help further conceal the RAID card. I really liked my configuration in my last build,

I cannot do that again, so I am open to suggestions.
    Regarding the loop, look at all of the fittings! The tube routing will take a lot of thought and me losing a great deal of skin!

The EK Advanced RES is trully advanced. I opened it today and I was totally confused, but I like it. BTW, the EK 580 blocks are pure H20 :banana::banana::banana::banana: and easily installed. Thanks Eddy, your team does outstanding work.

Once again, I am open to suggestions, comments, negative or positive.
    This old dog is having to learn too many new tricks!!

Cheers!

I am Xtreme
    I really love Koolance blocks but I really do not like their R3E block. It looks like a tubing nightmare. Are you doing a single loop?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I really love Koolance blocks but I really do not like their R3E block. It looks like a tubing nightmare. Are you doing a single loop?
    It is a great block but it is giving me some problems regarding the routing. My original intention was a single loop, but I may go dual and cool the RAM too. Who knows?

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Looks really nice seeker I like the routing options the Koolance block allows, but I'm always a fan of unique solutions....you'll figure something out

...BTW, the EK 580 blocks are pure H20 :banana::banana::banana::banana: and easily installed. Thanks Eddy, your team does outstanding work.
    Did Eddy (or anyone from EK) address your questions about the old blocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Looks really nice seeker I like the routing options the Koolance block allows, but I'm always a fan of unique solutions....you'll figure something out

Did Eddy (or anyone from EK) address your questions about the old blocks
    Thank you and It was the Feser Base.

World Champion - IRONMODS

I took both blocks apart and the plating is completely gone in some spots with nothing but copper exposed. This is bizzare to me as I use demineralized H20! Maybe Eddie will chime in? I hope he does because I have two Nickel blocks for the 580's!
    That's Feser? Oh...I do see "Eddie" spelled differently....is the Feser guy's name Eddie? I was thinking it was EK Eddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    That's Feser? Oh...I do see "Eddie" spelled differently....is the Feser guy's name Eddie? I was thinking it was EK Eddy
    My fault on the spelling. I just wanted "Eddy" EK to know and it was the Feser Base that caused the problem.

Good progress. I'm still a little confused on your old GPU block issue. Are you saying the Feser Base reacted with the nickel plating?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Good progress. I'm still a little confused on your old GPU block issue. Are you saying the Feser Base reacted with the nickel plating?
    Yes, but it may have been my fault. I may have put one drop too many in.
    I will not be using it again and that is for certain.

I am Xtreme
    A little "Silver" showed up today thanks to Gary from Sidewinder.

Some are born with a silver spoon, and some are born with a silver bottom

The Gold block is pretty, but it won't work with my color scheme.....

I will use as many siver as I can get!

The latest layout.........

To Be Continued..............
    Last edited by theseeker; 03-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.

I am Xtreme
    In addition to the Silver showing up, the BP Crystal SLI link showed up too and I like it!

I stuck the Corsiar Ram in to check the color and I like it too. I was considering a H20 cooler for the Ram but I like the color and more tubing would probably look bad.

I tossed the 24 pin in to get an idea of placement and it will need some work. With the 24, 2 x 8, 2 x 4 molex on the MB and the VC's this will require some serious wire management!

More tomorrow! As always, any comments positive or negative and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    ahh another quality build from theseeker...subscribed!
    Many thanks! I truly appreciate the word quality, I try! However, I am old dog trying to learn new tricks...............

Xtreme Member
    Looking good.

Have you thought about using two crystal links and go parallel between the GPUs and then have the top motherboard waterblock outlet go straight over into the top of the reservoir?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast