Thread: [User-Review] Alphacool VPP655 Single Edition pump im Cartago´s Review

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member

[User-Review] Alphacool VPP655 Single Edition pump im Cartago´s Review

Alphacool VPP655 - Single Edition im Cartago´s Review
    Von Peter Martin Werstler aka Cartago2202

Hello friends cold hardware!

In today's review I want to tell you the new Alphacool VPP655 - Single Edition pump present in more detail.
    I have decided to write this review because I seemed to think the white manufacturer's very logical. This is the pump, known to us all, Laing D5 Vario. The version is a "Single Edition" which simply means how that comes with only the pump body itself, there is no case or other accessories.

The approach of the manufacturer to sell the pump without case is quite simple: almost every one of these pump buy it builds to also to match their own needs in terms of appearance or performance. As to other "tops" bought or reservoir, so as to achieve a piece of individuality. This is very commendable since this philosophy reduces the price of the pump simply because the parts would you go this way or that are not supplied.

For this review I was available both an RF D5 Alphacool top, a Phobya 5.25 "Bay Reservoir as well as an EK top with integrated Terms of EK Water Bloks EK-D5 X-RES Top 100
    Here some impressions of the time utilized to Review hardware.

To the pump itself is not much to say it the original also has the option of speed control via knob, the cable is very long and the work is impeccable, but unfortunately it does not have a tach signal wire.

Now we come to the technical specifications of the pump:

Technical details:

Dimensions (WxHxD): 65x65x57mm (without connections)
    Engine: Electronically commutated spherical motor
    Standard voltage: 12V DC
    Power: 23W
    Allowable Voltage: 8-24V DC
    Pressure at 12V: 3,7 m water column
    Maximum flow: 1500l / h
    Pump Medium: Water, water / glycol mixture
    Maximum system temperature: 60 ° C
    Related materials: Stainless steel 1.4571, PPS-GF40, EPDM O-rings, aluminum oxide, hard coal
    Special Features: adjustable in five stages
    Level 1: 1800 rpm
    Level 2: 2550 rpm
    Level 3: 3300 rpm
    Level 4: 4050 rpm
    Level 5: 4800 rpm
    Current connection: 4 Pin Molex

The pump is a spherical motor pump which can be operated at a voltage between 8-24 volts. The power consumption of up to 23 watts already convinced of the "Power " that goes into the pump. The head is 3.7 m and the maximum capacity of 1500 liters per hour, these figures relate to 12V supply voltage. Of course, the pump is not only the dial Adjustable but also with any potent control all steps, eg. Heat Master.

Test environment:

Is tested in a real system but currently only cools the CPU make, but with three radiators especially resistant enough for the water is repeatedly deflected.

Test System:

CPU: Intel Xeon W3520 4.4 GHz at 1.35 V @ cooled by Aqua Computer XT Kryos HF
    Board: Asus Rampage Extreme III
    RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
    Video: PowerColor HD6950 HD6970 @
    HDD: F3 Samsung 500GB
    NT: be quite P9-850W
    radiators [/ B] 3x Phobya Silverstone Xtreme 200 with AP 180 AirPenetrator fans
    Aqua Computer DFM HF
    2x Phobya temperature sensors
    Alpha Cool Heat Master

The pump I will compete against two other pumps in the form of:
    Phobya DC12-400 and
    Laing DDC 1T Plus with an XSPC top terms

I am not going into this test awareness on information from temperature and concentrate instead only on the achieved flow and my subjective perception of noise.
    And here are the results summarized in a table.

As can be seen from the table that the pump beats very well and refers to both the DDC 1T Plus as well as the Phobya DC12-400 on the rear seats.
    Unfortunately, the operation of the EK-D5 X-RES Top 100 is possible without the filter sponge in any of the levels, which are EC has thinking in precisely these terms the "anti-cyclone" allow use from me is a mystery, it is a must have this or to use a sponge filter it since someone the sight of a beautiful swirl lacking in its terms and conditions.

Conclusion:

This pump is, as expected, was the strongest and also the quietest in this review. The idea to sell individual and thus to reduce the retail price is really unique and very commendable from Alphacool. This saved money can then spend on each in its individual concept. Of course, Alphacool has continued to offer in their retail versions, but the majority of the people who pump for this interesting and they want to buy from Alphacool be to your left. A single point of criticism I find Nevertheless, and although the lack of speed signal cables for example. Have integrated Koolance Swiftech or in their pumps.
    Nothing in spite of the concept is really good, and sensed the pump pretty much all the requirements of a good water pump with flying colors. For the good performance and low price gets the pump from me the Cartago's Review "HOT" Award.

Credits:

I hereby would like to thank the company Aquatuning and especially Christian for providing the review samples.

Xtreme Guru
    Yup, i noticed this single pump some time ago @aquatuning. But what i'd really wish - for this trend to be more widespread, eg. be able to buy cheaper generic DDC or even MCP-35X pumps without top, if i intend to use pump with 3rd party top since the beginning. Pity Gabe told that they won't sell top-less pump, i also don't know if any other laing pump clone vendor will join this trend, as it makes lot of sense to me for price savvy customers.
    BTW, these single edition pumps looks just right fit with new Koolance 452X2 bay reservoirs

Chasing After Diety
    dude if koolance was thinking about making a base plate for there pumps for there res's as a free give away, you really think selling the pump without the top will make it that much cheaper?

>.<

Did we forget what were doing?
    When was watercooling cheap?
    Can i ask how much the pump is without the stock laing TOP?
    And what the warrenty is from AC?

*goes kicks Corsair in the nads for making the h70 and having people think watercooling is actually something which is cheap*
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 01-16-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Dunno about the shops in the US Naekuh, but here @ HighFlow I can get the Alphacool D5 pump for 65 Euro, whereas the 'standard' D5 costs 100 Euro. So I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal .
    Last edited by Alexandr0s; 01-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    NaeKuh: take as example price of MCP35X pump ($109.95) and price of sold standalone MCP35X-H top ($24.95). If i want two of such and wish to use dual EK top, imho savings of almost $50, or 23% is not exactly nothing.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    NaeKuh: take as example price of MCP35X pump ($109.95) and price of sold standalone MCP35X-H top ($24.95). If i want two of such and wish to use dual EK top, imho savings of almost $50, or 23% is not exactly nothing.
    But your missing the my statement.

OK in EU where u guys get raped on everything i can see it.

25Euro difference in price is a big difference.

But how much of a break point is that in US dollars?

65 Euro's is 86 US dollars... thats still more expensive then a D5 in the state side.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP...p-pr-2982.html = 79.99

You see what i mean? Its not attractive, because i also get the full warranty from swiftech direct on that D5 state side, should anything happen.

another funny statement... i asked the vendors why dont you do that?
    They said tops invalidate warrenty.
    Vendors dont want to be responsible to laing when they reject the RMA request when an after market top was used.

so its safer for the vendor to RMA the entire unit as 1 piece instead of them having to put labor and put all those tops back.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 01-16-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Which is why I completely get your point. But for the people getting screwed over in Europe, it's a pretty decent deal .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    NaeKuh: my point is - even if i know that using 3rd party top will invalidate warranty, and i know that i won't use stock top - in all cases but this i have no option to pay but full price for pump with warranty i won't use and with top that will lie in drawer unused. So i can only applaud on this initiative of Alphacool and hope for it to become more widespread.

BTW, european prices in some cases look screwed because of included VAT in pricing. You guys don't have to pay any taxes on LC gear you buy?
    Last edited by Church; 01-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    NaeKuh: my point is - even if i know that using 3rd party top will invalidate warranty, and i know that i won't use stock top - in all cases but this i have no option to pay but full price for pump with warranty i won't use and with top that will lie in drawer unused. So i can only applaud on this initiative of Alphacool and hope for it to become more widespread.

BTW, european prices in some cases look screwed because of included VAT in pricing. You guys don't have to pay any taxes on LC gear you buy?
    Generally speaking, in North America, we get around a lot of taxes by buying from places located in different provinces or states. Doesn't always work, and we sometimes get dinged at the border or through harmonized sales taxes, but can still result in some good savings.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

I am Xtreme
    I usually don't pay any tax on stuff from most places, the one exception is FCPU as it's in state and I'm usually a walk-in.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    just got one of this for my bench table.....