Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot, hot water in watercooling system

Xtreme Member

Hot, hot water in watercooling system

The problem is, hot water

I just put together WC system. below 24h old. Everything works but, somehow water inside loop is not cooling enough. Room temp is around 24'c and water temp is 42'c if the temp sensor inside aqua xt pump is accurate. This is when i fold with both GTX 480 @ stock clocks.
    Another problem is cpu that heats up in linx test. Hitting around 78'c, idle around 50'c and below.

Loop order, pump(Aquastream XT- Ultra Version) -> gpu blocks in paraller(ek) -> cpu block(Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme) -> rad(Phobya G-Changer 420) -> res

I have 3 noctua 14cm fans pulling air trough rad.

What is next step to solve this problem, buy another rad? reseat cpu block?

Goal here is silent system and any tips is

pic of the system and specs

core i7 920@4GHz HT on 1.376V
    sli gtx 480@stocks
    coming soon
    MB blocks and memory block

Asus Rampage IV Formula X79 | EK-MOSFET ASUS RF4 - Acetal Copper
    Core i7-3630K@4.5GHz 1.4V | EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Kit Ripjaws Z (4x4GB), DDR3 1600MHz, CL 9
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC | EK-FC Titan SE Copper - Plexi Full Cover | EK-FC Titan SE Backplate
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Two GTX480 can generate an enormous amount of heat. Considering your 3x140mm rad surface, I'm not surprised that your water gets warm. You just don't have enough rads to get rid of all that heat.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

If your water temp is 40+ degrees then thats going to be pushing your temps up a fair bit.
    Does the tubing and res feel hot when your touch it?
    I would be tempted to put a household thermometer into the res to check the temp reading you are getting from the pump.

Your CPU load temp might be a bit high with a 36 degree delta a load but those CPUs produce a decent amount of heat at those clocks.

Reseating the CPU block may help, and its worth taking the block off and checking that the mount is good anyway.

Is your rad drawing air from inside your case?
    If your case temps are high this will also affect the water temps.

There are three things you can do to get lower water temps
    1 - reduce the temperature of the air entering the rad.. . if your getting ambient temperature air into the rad already then this is all you can do.
    2 - Improve airflow through the rad (more powerful fans, you may also be able to make things more efficient with a shroud)
    3 - More surface area... more rads.

Your rad is quite large and should cope with your components, however you need to optimize the airflow through the rad.. doing this and keeping the noise down isnt always easy.
    Last edited by Holst; 01-15-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    I never owned a bay res so not sure you can but looking at the pic if you stand the rig back side down can you get any more air out of the rad?

I have a temporary setup of a 920 @ 4.1 and a q6600 @ 3.6 plus fully watercooled rampage MB on one loop running a d5 and pa120.3 this runs with water temp 9deg above ambient You can calculate the heat load for yourself but at first glance you seem to need more rad

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    here is couple more pics

i tried to bleed the rad out of air but i will try it again, and rad and tubing feels hot, almost burning. GPU temps are great at max load, tipping 60'c with furmark, only positive thing atm.

I haven't remount cpu block yet, but will when i have more time. Just checking leaks and stuff atm

PC case is nexus edge, it tends to get little hot inside with all that Noise absorption wave foam..
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC | EK-FC Titan SE Copper - Plexi Full Cover | EK-FC Titan SE Backplate
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Your rad placement is pretty good on top of the case so it seems like you really need more powerful fans, or more rads...

Can you take a pic from the top of the case so we can see how the fans are mounted?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobsters View Post
    I have 3 noctua 14cm fans pulling air trough rad.

What is next step to solve this problem, buy another rad? reseat cpu block?

Goal here is silent system and any tips is
    Noctua 14cm fans suxxxxxxx
    and you need more radiator

Xtreme Member
    Here is top shot, damm difficult to take

So if i decide to buy new fans for rad, what would be efficient and silent for the job? And anything else that would help?

I would like to keep this build silent(still little loud) as i need to sleep with same room with pc... and i keep it on all day and night as electricity is almost free(included in rent).
    Last edited by Mobsters; 01-15-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Xtreme Member
    I think your pump is part of the problem. The Aquastream by itself produces about half the flow rate of the typical DDC 18W.

Can you check the flow rate? For the system you have, I think the temperatures seem normal.

Xtreme Member
    That is the one thing i cannot check, but i could order flow meter check it. Pump operates at 81.4Hz if that says anything
    Last edited by Mobsters; 01-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Xtreme Addict
    The way that you get quiet is to increase cooling surface area and thereby be able to reduce airflow. i doubt that issue is your pump. The Aquastream pumps work fine. I would run what I have through AndreaBZ's flowrate estimator to get an idea of what your flow looks like.

I use 2 triple radiators, which allows for lots of surface area with fans running at about 6-7 volts. Those Noctua fans aren't the best radiator fans, but they should still be good enough.

The way that your fans are mounted onto your rad isnt the best.
    There are lots of gaps between the fans and the core that they can pull air through.
    With the fans trying to pull air through the core you need to seal up those gaps so that the air has to come through the rad and not around the edges of the fans.
    This is especially important with low CFM fans that dont move much air.

You may get a decrease in water temp by sealing the saps between the fans and the core. I would just use some masking or electrical tape and see if it makes any difference to the water temps. If it does then making a proper shroud might help.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You've got that middle fan blowing heated case air across your rad. Never a good idea if you're looking for better temps. Reversing your fans should help.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    The Aquastream pumps work fine. I would run what I have through AndreaBZ's flowrate estimator to get an idea of what your flow looks like.
    Looking at the pictures I see pretty small diameter tubing and a lot of 90° elbows for the suction (inlet) to the pump. Not a good idea to restrict the flow into the pump.

I still think flow rate is probably still pretty low. As above, please try to estimate flow rate or do a simple bucket test (stop watch and graduated bucket) to measure your actual flow rate.

Xtreme Member
    tubing is 3/8" ID Primochill, i tried fans another way but temp increased. Im thinking about those 90° too, could replace em with 45°, straight ones would take too much space.

flowrate estimator tells me flowrate about 0.90 GPM
    Last edited by Mobsters; 01-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    Looking at the pictures I see pretty small diameter tubing and a lot of 90° elbows for the suction (inlet) to the pump. Not a good idea to restrict the flow into the pump.

I still think flow rate is probably still pretty low. As above, please try to estimate flow rate or do a simple bucket test (stop watch and graduated bucket) to measure your actual flow rate.
    If the GPU temps were bad then I would agree with you, but the high watertemps are the main problem.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i tried fans another way but temp increased.
    I guarantee that your temps are higher by supplying your rad with the heated case air. Granted you only have 1 fan blowing from your case through your rad but that isn't helping with temps. Always supply your rad with fresh cool air for best temps.
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    I guarantee that your temps are higher by supplying your rad with the heated case air. Granted you only have 1 fan blowing from your case through your rad but that isn't helping with temps. Always supply your rad with fresh cool air for best temps.
    Convection?

A 420 is not enough for 2 GTX480 and an i7 920. I'd put the two 480 on that rad and add at least a 220 for the CPU.

60c on GPU's isn't all that great...
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 01-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holst View Post
    If the GPU temps were bad then I would agree with you, but the high watertemps are the main problem.
    Good point.

Xtreme Member
    agree to Sideroxylon. pretty sure the problem is in feeding hot air to the rad.

doubt its related to pump/fowrate, tubing, blocks or a bad mount. looking at it logically, having hot water means the heat transfer from cpu and gpu's is working. the problem is the transfer of heat from water to air.

suggest an easy experiment:
    1. unscrew your rad to have it laying loose on top of the case in the same position as it is right now
    2. start your loading programs cpu or gpu or even both and watch temps rising
    3. grab your rad and hold it upright, so it will get fresh air

report back what happens to water, cpu and gpu temperatures

if temps go down, the problem is the hot air the rad is getting.
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you either need an additional radiator or you need more powerful fans. More fans also equal more noise, therefore you might have to compromise somewhat on your expectations if you want to add a radiator.

Xtreme Member
    A few years back, Swiftech offered the MCRES-1000. It was a DDC pump+RES combo that fit into a normal DVD bay. That isn't offered anymore because the pump heat would keep the fluid in the reservoir hot.

Looking at your setup, the RES has really no place to release heat, thus that volume of fluid stays nice and warm.

My loop has a 1-gallon glass pickle jar just outside the case with quick disconnects. It's stays almost a full 9C cooler than the bay RES I use to have with the loop. In the summer, I place the 1-gallon next to the AC vent. In the winter it sits up next to the window to grab the cold draft of the glass.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw View Post
    suggest an easy experiment:
    1. unscrew your rad to have it laying loose on top of the case in the same position as it is right now
    2. start your loading programs cpu or gpu or even both and watch temps rising
    3. grab your rad and hold it upright, so it will get fresh air

report back what happens to water, cpu and gpu temperatures

if temps go down, the problem is the hot air the rad is getting.
    Rad is already loose on top but short tubes makes it hard to move and all fan wires

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    A few years back, Swiftech offered the MCRES-1000. It was a DDC pump+RES combo that fit into a normal DVD bay. That isn't offered anymore because the pump heat would keep the fluid in the reservoir hot.

Looking at your setup, the RES has really no place to release heat, thus that volume of fluid stays nice and warm.
    Good point there, been folding couple hours now and bay res looks like this with water temp 38.4'c

Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    you either need an additional radiator or you need more powerful fans. More fans also equal more noise, therefore you might have to compromise somewhat on your expectations if you want to add a radiator.
    What rad would be good at low fan speeds?
    Last edited by Mobsters; 01-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Technician
    Id try some 140mm yates on that rad before you replace it. Theyre square frame so should seal better plus they perform well. Dial down noise level to suit.

Ultimately you're still trying to dissipate at least 600watts of heat through a single triple rad with low power fans. Better airflow or another rad needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=bmaverick;4706532Looking at your setup, the RES has really no place to release heat, thus that volume of fluid stays nice and warm.

My loop has a 1-gallon glass pickle jar just outside the case with quick disconnects. It's stays almost a full 9C cooler than the bay RES I use to have with the loop. In the summer, I place the 1-gallon next to the AC vent. In the winter it sits up next to the window to grab the cold draft of the glass. [/QUOTE]

Good point there, been folding couple hours now and bay res looks like this with water temp 38.4'c

You guys are killing me. The res in his loop has NO impact on temps. That's what the rad is for.

He's blowing HOT air across his rad. If this was a good idea everyone would park a space heater in front of their rad. Hopefully common sense and logic tells you this is NOT a good idea.

Mav, your res might actually be helping your temps due to it being influenced by your AC or cool outside temps. That's not the case with the op. He relies solely on his rad doing the job.

OP your res looks like that because your water temps are so hot and your getting condensation in the res.
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast