Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: -100c single stage

Banned
    Hi Gray,

Any more to add to this? I been thinking and would R290, R507, R23, R-744 (C02) then maybe R1150 be a better way to go about it all? Less of a jump, more cooling, blends gases sub cooling??

-100C Club Member
    nice work gray, good luck with getting it to hold load and some decent numbers, even -60c to -70c would be awsome

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrafluorometh View Post
    Hi Gray,

Any more to add to this? I been thinking and would R290, R507, R23, R-744 (C02) then maybe R1150 be a better way to go about it all? Less of a jump, more cooling, blends gases sub cooling??
    At -78.5 C, CO2 begins to change state (Solid). The process is called deposition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgrios View Post
    At -78.5 C, CO2 begins to change state (Solid). The process is called deposition.
    Yeah we get dry ice forming in the cap tube, adding R290 helps keep the oil moving and changes temps and stuff so it trys to limit it.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah we get dry ice forming in the cap tube, adding R290 helps keep the oil moving and changes temps and stuff so it trys to limit it.
    Correct. However, I would not use CO2 as you purposed in the "R290, R507, R23, R-744 (C02) then maybe R1150" blend. I believe it would only cause headaches and troubles with ice forming in the metering device.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgrios View Post
    Correct. However, I would not use CO2 as you purposed in the "R290, R507, R23, R-744 (C02) then maybe R1150" blend. I believe it would only cause headaches and troubles with ice forming in the metering device.
    I still think the 1st 3 gases and then to the 5th (R1150) is too much of a jump and needs something there but not sure what that could be

-100C Club Member
    R507 and R1150 are hard to seperate in an auto, ditch the R744 as the R23 goes to -82C anyways.

R600-R290-R23-R1150 looks the way to go for an auto, well that's what I gathered when I started on one, got side tracked with life and it's crap though
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    sorry to hear about the dead cards, but.. If stuff ain't dieing, you aren't trying.

נְפִילִים

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
    R507 and R1150 are hard to seperate in an auto, ditch the R744 as the R23 goes to -82C anyways.

R600-R290-R23-R1150 looks the way to go for an auto, well that's what I gathered when I started on one, got side tracked with life and it's crap though
    What about as a blend though with a SLHX?

Do you have plans to re-start it?

Xtreme Member
    Yes you should Use a low boiling Gas Like r600

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickclouds View Post
    Yes you should Use a low boiling Gas Like r600
    So how about R600, R290, R507, R23, R1150?

-100C Club Member
    What about as a blend though with a SLHX?

Do you have plans to re-start it?
    The R507 absorbs the R1150...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...2&postcount=13
    Interesting thread anyways if you read the lot, don't know how far Xavier got with it.
    Even though you will never get 100% seperation they may work but as you already have R290 and that will condense the R23 at a good temp it's not really needed, why over complicate things.?

I'm planning on playing with an auto again before the end of the year, other stuff to sort before then.
    Last edited by Dualist; 02-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    sorry to hear about the dead cards, but.. If stuff ain't dieing, you aren't trying.

נְפִילִים

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
    The R507 absorbs the R1150...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...2&postcount=13
    Interesting thread anyways if you read the lot, don't know how far Xavier got with it.
    Even though you will never get 100% seperation they may work but as you already have R290 and that will condense the R23 at a good temp it's not really needed, why over complicate things.?

I'm planning on playing with an auto again before the end of the year, other stuff to sort before then.
    I'll have a read of the link in the morning, sounds good though.

So R507 absorbing the R1150 is that good or bad, sorry im learning this stuff.

Hope to see your progess here

-100C Club Member
    So R507 absorbing the R1150 is that good or bad, sorry im learning this stuff.
    If it's true then it's bad as it alters the blend thus load performance, not seen anything to back it up or oppose the theory though.
    But there are enough gasses out there to make a non (alleged absorbed) blend like I stated earlier to play with.

נְפִילִים

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    Yeah, the highside is high, but not what I'd thought it would be.

I started at 100w to get a feel, and mainly had to add 134a and 290 to keep the HX flooding. -15 measured at the middle of the HX was the bare minimum. -20 seemed much better.

So 250w is all I could get. No matter how I played with it.

But 250w at -45c 8psi low/260psi high on a 1/2hp compressor is a start. Ethylene I think is just too much. In an autocascade I'd still be struggling with it at -20HX but it's working to a certain extent.

Cooldown is amazingly fast to -60 now, so that's where I do like how it's working, and the load temp for a 1/2hp is resonable. Just wish it had more capacity in it.

Which brings me back to Ethane.

I need the gasses to mix well, and not be a 'stepping stone' system. Finding enough to work a really long glide is going to be my best bet if it's going to be a system that works.

So I'll be reworking another SLHX at some point, maybe with 2 or 3 chambers to see if that actually does anything. I think it does assist the mix. Time will tell.

Ethane (I'm hoping) should be low enough pressure to do more. Lowest temp will be higher, but I need more of the lowtemp gas to condense. I'm getting there though, R23 never did a lot for me, and I feel that it's because of the weight of it.

Ethylene and Ethane are very light, and they tend to mix really well with most things, especially other hydrocarbons.

So I'll probably leave out the Ethylene on the next one, see if it works better without, then try a small addition and see if I can make the glide even longer, or if it's just out of reach.

Potentially a second SLHX but I don't see a benefit outside of an Auto. I just need to maintain a really cold slhx and with more 'room' to condense it may be more effective.

But that's where I'm at. HP is high, but still within a workable system.

So I'm happy enough with this project, until I get some Ethane to test next.

Gray
    Hey Gray!

I like this idea alot... It has been a long time for me, but I always wanted to play with Ethane. If I remember right, it is a bit lighter than ethylene even, and it should help lower the high side pressure which it sounds like may be giving you the problems with load over 250w. Maybe even try the same blend with ethane replacing ethylene until you get the load you want then try the same blend but with ethane and very small amounts of ethylene to bring temp a tad lower while still keeping HS pressure under control? I'm just thinking out load into this post, but I really like the project. Looking forward to more of your results!

Brandon
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12