Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandy bridge throttling problem

Xtreme Addict

Sandy bridge throttling problem

Im having some annoying problems with my new built sandy bridge system. I have a powerful watercooling connected to it so its not related to temperatures.

Whenever i go above x42 multi and i start prime95 it will drop back down to x42 after about 10s. Right now im running prime on 4,2ghz 1,25v and hitting 43C and its working like a charm. But if i run 4,3ghz with anything from 1,25v to 1,45v it will still drop down to x42 after 5-10seconds..

I have a 2500K and a Asrock P67 PRO3.
    I have disabled the stuff that is mentioned in the "guide" (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...02#post4697802) and all other voltages are untouched.
    Any idea on what it could be?

Xtreme Member
    Just checking to make sure you..
    Check settings for something related to tdp, turbo power limit, current limit and up'd it?
    Motherboard: GigaByte P67UD4 f6 | CPU: Intel 2500k 4.5ghz 1.26v | Memory: GSkill 2x4gb @ 1600mhz 1.34v | PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W | Video: AMD 6970 Koolance water block 880c/1450mem 1.035v | HDD: WD 640gb cavier black: VelociRaptor 300gb: Intel x-25 g2 80gb | Sound: Asus xonar D1 | OS: W7 64bit

Xtreme Member
    Maybe you can give a try to ThrottleStop.

From Kevin
    The TRL button lets you adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits on the K series CPUs and the TPL button lets you adjust the Turbo Power Limits.
    And you can play with multi too with ThrottleStop.
    If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by burebista View Post
    Maybe you can give a try to ThrottleStop.

From Kevin

And you can play with multi too with ThrottleStop.
    No change im afraid :/

I found a setting that changed the current to the cpu. It was set to maximum 150 now and i changed it to 225, no change.

Xtreme Member
    Did you click on that Turn On button on TS? Otherwise it's in monitoring mode.
    But if you change the limit in BIOS and nothing happens maybe the problem is elsewhere.
    Maybe Kevin will take a look at this thread.
    If it ain't broke... fix it until it is.

Xtreme Addict
    But if you change the limit in BIOS and nothing happens maybe the problem is elsewhere.
    Actually when i press "turn on" the multi goes down to 16 and stays there. No matter what regular multi i set in the program or what turbo multi i set :/

That would be great Lets hope he does.

Xtreme Addict

I haven't done any testing on the new Sandy Bridge CPUs but when you click on the up gadget beside the Set Multiplier box, it is supposed to show the word Turbo when it maxes out which indicates you are telling the CPU to use full turbo boost. Something could be a little different in Sandy Bridge so I might have to wait for burebista to do some testing for me when he gets his new rig going. What multiplier range does ThrottleStop let you select?

Did you try increasing both the TDP and TDC values? This will work even when ThrottleStop is only in monitoring mode. You can also adjust the Force Turbo TDP/TDC number in the Options window to a low number like 8 to see if that helps. It sounds like you are hitting the maximum TDP / TDC limits for this chip and are being throttled back.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

I haven't done any testing on the new Sandy Bridge CPUs but when you click on the up gadget beside the Set Multiplier box, it is supposed to show the word Turbo when it maxes out which indicates you are telling the CPU to use full turbo boost. Something could be a little different in Sandy Bridge so I might have to wait for burebista to do some testing for me when he gets his new rig going. What multiplier range does ThrottleStop let you select?

Did you try increasing both the TDP and TDC values? This will work even when ThrottleStop is only in monitoring mode. You can also adjust the Force Turbo TDP/TDC number in the Options window to a low number like 8 to see if that helps. It sounds like you are hitting the maximum TDP / TDC limits for this chip and are being throttled back.
    Yes i can adjust up to 33 multi, after that it just says "Turbo".

No, where can i adjust them? I will look into that when i get home from work.

Xtreme Addict
    Now i have updated the bios and from nowhere i got more settings. But now it wont load win 7 anymore.. Just bsods when loading Win 7. Does not matter if i run everything stock or overclocked.. -.-

I am Xtreme
    what stepping and what option?
    CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE? if you have a D1 es chip then yes you will bdos with that setting enabled. What power saving features do you have enabled?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    what stepping and what option?
    CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE? if you have a D1 es chip then yes you will bdos with that setting enabled. What power saving features do you have enabled?
    With bios 1,6 i get the CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE option. But with that bios i cant boot into windows at all. With bios 1,5 everything seems to work. I dont have that option but now it atleast boots.

I also noticed if i have speedstep active i get the option to change the wattage during short and long time so now its not throttling anymore Although i cant seem to boot at higher than 4,6-4,7.

No i have a retail chip. Not sure if its a D1 or D2 but i guess its a D2. I have a L040B544. Basicly all power savings is off.

Right now im running prime95 at 4,6ghz and 1,26v. No problems so far. Will PLL overvoltage help much? Just hope asrock releases a stable bios with it..

Edit: Running 4,7ghz with 1,248v right now..
    Last edited by Snowman89; 01-12-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    When using ThrottleStop, first you need to increase the Set Multiplier adjuster until it says Turbo and then click on the TRL button to adjust your CPU's Turbo Ratio Limits or you can click on the TPL button to adjust the Turbo Power Limits.

If you still have multiplier throttling issues at full load, it might help you get over the hump. ThrottleStop should let you adjust the turbo multipliers from within Windows so if you are having a problem booting up reliably, you might be able to boot up at a reduced multiplier and then use ThrottleStop to take it higher.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    When using ThrottleStop, first you need to increase the Set Multiplier adjuster until it says Turbo and then click on the TRL button to adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits or you can click on the TPL button to adjust the Turbo Power Limits.

If you still have multiplier throttling issues, it might help you get over the hump and this program should let you adjust the multiplier from within Windows so if you are having a problem booting up reliably, you might be able to boot up at a reduced multiplier and then use ThrottleStop to take it higher.
    I have bypassed the throttling issue now I found the wattage limitation when i had speedstep activated. So now its not throttling. But what does the CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE really do? Since there is no stable bios released yet for my Asrock MB that has it activated.

I am Xtreme
    it allows you to overclock higher in many cases. Somtimes for no reason you will be stuck at a certain multiplier no matter the voltage, and then it allows you go go furthur when enabled.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    it allows you to overclock higher in many cases. Somtimes for no reason you will be stuck at a certain multiplier no matter the voltage, and then it allows you go go furthur when enabled.
    Ah okey. Thanks for the explanation.
    I can only hope that Asrock will release a stable bios which supports it then :/

I'm in the same boat as you are. I am having a heat throttling problem with my asrock board and I can't figure it out at all. First off, here are some of my parts.

CPU: I7 2600K
    Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Motherboard: Asrock P67 Profess1onal Fatal1ty board
    Cooling: Corsair H70

Here's the problem I'm running in to. Heat throttling. I've tried all available BIOS's possible for my motherboard. It came loaded with bios 1.3 though.

Now I know what you are thinking. I need to turn off all the C states and speedstepping. Well I did all that. In the OC Tweaking category of the UEFI BIOS there is a speedstepping option. I've tried with it disabled and enabled. In the Advanced -> Northbridge Category there are 4 different options that deal with the C states: Thermal Throttling, C1E, C3, and C2/C6 state options. I've tried every combination of those enabled or disabled possible with all BIOS options.

Here is what I have found out so far though.

I can boot in windows and run everything at the following CPU speeds and voltage settings with all steppings turned off.

4.4 Ghz = 1.30v @ 33C idle
    4.6 Ghz = 1.35v @ 34C idle
    4.8 Ghz = 1.40v @ 36C idle
    5.0 Ghz = 1.48v @ 39C idle

The problem comes the moment I hit 50C temp. I drop down immediately to 4.2 Ghz. The moment I hit 55C temp, I drop to 4 Ghz. Anything over 60C drops it down to 3.9 Ghz.

It is very frustrating. Also, if everything is enabled (speedstepping and such) I idle at 1.6Ghz speed. The moment I turn on Prime95, I jump to the max speed I set in the BIOS until I reach the temps I listed above and then I start throttling.

I am thinking it's a problem with the current BIOS's for this board. I'm quite annoyed right now at this. Anyone able to think of anything I might have missed? Also I tried disabling the "heat protection" option in the hardware monitor part of the BIOS. I've tried PPL overvolt protection both ON and OFF as well.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGiggs View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I am having a heat throttling problem with my asrock board and I can't figure it out at all. First off, here are some of my parts.

CPU: I7 2600K
    Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Motherboard: Asrock P67 Profess1onal Fatal1ty board
    Cooling: Corsair H70

Here's the problem I'm running in to. Heat throttling. I've tried all available BIOS's possible for my motherboard. It came loaded with bios 1.3 though.

Now I know what you are thinking. I need to turn off all the C states and speedstepping. Well I did all that. In the OC Tweaking category of the UEFI BIOS there is a speedstepping option. I've tried with it disabled and enabled. In the Advanced -> Northbridge Category there are 4 different options that deal with the C states: Thermal Throttling, C1E, C3, and C2/C6 state options. I've tried every combination of those enabled or disabled possible with all BIOS options.

Here is what I have found out so far though.

I can boot in windows and run everything at the following CPU speeds and voltage settings with all steppings turned off.

4.4 Ghz = 1.30v @ 33C idle
    4.6 Ghz = 1.35v @ 34C idle
    4.8 Ghz = 1.40v @ 36C idle
    5.0 Ghz = 1.48v @ 39C idle

The problem comes the moment I hit 50C temp. I drop down immediately to 4.2 Ghz. The moment I hit 55C temp, I drop to 4 Ghz. Anything over 60C drops it down to 3.9 Ghz.

It is very frustrating. Also, if everything is enabled (speedstepping and such) I idle at 1.6Ghz speed. The moment I turn on Prime95, I jump to the max speed I set in the BIOS until I reach the temps I listed above and then I start throttling.

I am thinking it's a problem with the current BIOS's for this board. I'm quite annoyed right now at this. Anyone able to think of anything I might have missed? Also I tried disabling the "heat protection" option in the hardware monitor part of the BIOS. I've tried PPL overvolt protection both ON and OFF as well.
    That does definitly sound like the same problem as i had before.

What you need to do is first turn speedstep on, if you turn it off the settings you are about to change will dissapear.
    Then look for "Turbo power limit", it should be right below speedstep in the overclocking section. Change the "Turbo power limit" to manual and then you have to find the right values for your system. Im running 180w short and 140w long and that seems to have solved my problems.

Hope it helped some Please let me know how it turns out

I'll give it a try later tonight.

I kow which setting syou are talking about.

Did you leave off all the other C State options though in the northbridge category still?

Actually decided to try right now before heading to work. Seems to be doing the trick. Holding steady so far at 4.8Ghz and running prime95 now. Going to leave it on for work. Highest temp so far is 63C.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGiggs View Post
    Actually decided to try right now before heading to work. Seems to be doing the trick. Holding steady so far at 4.8Ghz and running prime95 now. Going to leave it on for work. Highest temp so far is 63C.
    Ah good then I was like WTF when i couldnt overlock above 4,2 but then i got help and found that setting.

Hope it works for you

Sorry, but I have to giggle at the P67 Fatality board you have Doc, its just a silly board "endorsed" by Fatal1ty, and hence, you pay over the odds. You could of got the exact same thing with the Extreme6 in a much more pleasant colour scheme

How are you getting on having to look at wendels mug every time you enter the UEFI?

Anyway, on a more related note when you come to tweaking your memory to get a bit more out of it without having to jump to a different divider be sure to adjust the VCCSA voltage before tweaking with the BCLK

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Sorry, but I have to giggle at the P67 Fatality board you have Doc, its just a silly board "endorsed" by Fatal1ty, and hence, you pay over the odds. You could of got the exact same thing with the Extreme6 in a much more pleasant colour scheme

How are you getting on having to look at wendels mug every time you enter the UEFI?

Anyway, on a more related note when you come to tweaking your memory to get a bit more out of it without having to jump to a different divider be sure to adjust the VCCSA voltage before tweaking with the BCLK
    Could you please explain what the VCCSA does? in terms of memories and BCLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman89 View Post
    Could you please explain what the VCCSA does? in terms of memories and BCLK.
    Quote from this guide

VCCSA Voltage - 0.9v - This is the System Agent voltage (part of the CPU that isn't the cores), and after extensive testing, there is no real need to adjust this much, at least not at this stage.
    Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2 x Intel X25-M 80 | 4 x SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 (HD103SJ) | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | 2600K @ 5Ghz 24/7 | Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000MHz
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 | Corsair H50 | Zotac GTX 480 @ 920/2100 | Swiftech MCRES reservoir Rev. 2 | EK-CoolStream RAD XT 360 | Scythe S-FLEX
    Phobya DC12-260 12V | EK-FC480 GTX Acetal+Nickel | Samsung 2233RZ | Acer GD245HQ | Corepad DESKPAD XXXL | Logitech G19 | Razer Deathadder

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tentp0le View Post
    Quote from this guide
    Yeah but that guide also says that you dont have to adjust it

Xtreme Mentor
    I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!! I was ready to post about it here. same board even!! Did you get it fixed yet?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582632

i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz 1.38v L044A892
    ASUS P8P67 LGA
    16GB G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    1/2" ID Masterkleer, Swiftech MCP-655, Thermochill PA120.3 Rad, XSPC Rasa, MCW-60
    Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt PSU
    GTX 680 1300/7000
    Lian Li PC V-2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast