Thread: Overcoming the initial paranoia :)

I am Xtreme

Overcoming the initial paranoia :)

So how do you seasoned veterans do it? I've water-cooled in the past, but this time around it was the first time I'd actually done it on my OWN personal computer, and I must say, I'm pretty paranoid. I'm confident in the work I did, and my system passed a 18-20 hour leak test with flying colors, but I still can't help but feeling a little bit paranoid. I'm one of those "leave the PC running 24/7" types of guys. It's not uncommon for me to leave my PC on overnight for weeks at a time. I'm well aware that I might not be able to do that anymore (just in case).

So my question is, how do you guys overcome the initial paranoia? Is it safe to assume that because it hasn't leaked in the first 48 hours, that it'll probably never leak assuming the system is left alone (not moved around/messed with, etc)?

clamp all the fittings and set profiles to shut down under high heat or if the pump has no rpm, that way if u drop liquid or the pump dies it shuts down. with the clamps it wont leak unless the tubing fails and thats a vary rare thing to happen.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If nothing moves and leak test is done, and tubes are clamped properly, the worst thing that can happen is indeed a pump failure (very rare) or major dust buildup due to system running 24/7 for a long time (more likely).

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    So my question is, how do you guys overcome the initial paranoia?
    Using galllons of Red Bull.

You can only hope that no leakage will ever occur. There are many things that can go wrong, using common sense and carefull installation just diminishes the probality close to 0.
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    Using galllons of Red Bull.
    In a loop?????
    LOL jk jk

Xtreme Addict
    You just get used to it. I run F@H 24/7 on my watercooled rig and I have left it on 90% of the time for the past 5 years. Probably due for one of those rare pump failures, the old MCP655 chugging along since 2006. Has been through about 8 different cases and 30 different loops too
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

SLC
    I don't even leak test for more than 20min anymore... Assemble it, take a quick look and fire it up. A loop is really an extremely simple mechanism. I am a little paranoid of pump failures so I will be adding a second pump in series for redundancy soon.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    I don't even leak test for more than 20min anymore... .
    If it doesn't leak during the bleeding that is good enough for me.

I have faith in my skills to put a loop together. I'll leave my rigs on 24/7 and even if I were to go out of town for a few weeks I really wouldn't be worried.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    I don't even leak test for more than 20min anymore... Assemble it, take a quick look and fire it up. A loop is really an extremely simple mechanism. I am a little paranoid of pump failures so I will be adding a second pump in series for redundancy soon.
    That's about 18 minutes more than I do and yeah, that's my biggest worry and why I almost always have a easily viewable res.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Reading the replies in this thread are seriously making me feel a lot better

I'm not too concerned about a pump dying TBH. If it dies, worst case scenario my CPU over heats, shuts the system down, no harm no foul. If the CPU dies I can RMA it. The main thing was the leaks. If water gets everywhere then there's a good chance a lot of stuff is going to die. Most of it probably wont be RMA'able.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    Reading the replies in this thread are seriously making me feel a lot better

I'm not too concerned about a pump dying TBH. If it dies, worst case scenario my CPU over heats, shuts the system down, no harm no foul. If the CPU dies I can RMA it. The main thing was the leaks. If water gets everywhere then there's a good chance a lot of stuff is going to die. Most of it probably wont be RMA'able.
    If you are using the correct size tube and fittings and put it all together correctly then you shouldn't get any leaks.

Pump faliure is the only major way you can have a problem, but setting a shutdown temperature "should" save you in most cases.
    This is the main reason that I still use my ancient Eheim 1250 pump as although its not the ultimate performer it is very reliable (10 years use and counting)

Xtreme Member
    First time I built water cooling I was nervous and let the system work for several days on the desk while I found time to actually tear the PC down and install it.

The next three or four times, I let it bleed out the big bubbles and check for leaks for about 20 minutes before turning the PC on. So far, no fried hardware *knock on wood*