Thread: Density of LN2 as it warms up

Wanna look under my kilt?

Density of LN2 as it warms up

Kinda weird question. I had my dewars filled but have been pretty slow in getting through them. I keep a tally of my useage so I don't accidentally try something big with only 3L left or something stupid like that. My tally is pretty tight but the weight of the dewars doesn't follow the tally.

As LN2 "warms up"... what happens to its density? As it approaches -196/ boiling point does it gain weight?

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    One mole of N2 equal 14grams. And the conservation of matter would suggest gaining weight, or mass, is impossible. When it boils off into a gaseous state, it expands, but keeps it's same mass (weight here on earth). I would think if you had a dewar strong enough to contain all the boiled off N2, it would weight the same as when you first filled it with LN2. But what do I know, I'm a finance guy....been a long time since college chemistry, lol.
    Mobo: eVGA x58 Classified (759)
    CPU: i7-990x
    GPU: 2xGTX 580
    Cooling: F1 Gemini/Tek-9 Fat LN2 | 12k BTU Chiller HK 3.0/DD Water Block
    RAM: 3 x 2gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracers
    HD: OCZ LE SSD 100GB | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Monitor: Dell 2707 LCD

Wanna look under my kilt?
    I bombed horrifically at Chemistry I have no idea why the numbers don't add up here. According to the scales, I have litres more than I expected to. I'm benching tonight, lets see what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.