Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Sandy Bridge OC Guide + P67A-UD7 Performance Review

im gona print out the pdf ver. when i play with my ud5 tonight
    just wondering if u can share ur batch# for the 2600k D1 .. mine is L038A659 .. bought from retail this morning havent had a chance to open it up yet .I see most people here at XS with L039B L040B .. thinking if mine is a D1
    Last edited by scccm; 01-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    i7 2600k (L038A659)
    p67-UD5
    Xigmatek S1832 2GT push and pull
    G-Skill ripjaws x 2x2
    BFG GTX 260
    HT Omega Claro
    Corsair TX750

I am Xtreme
    All retail are D2, or should be at least.

I have B066 i think.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by scccm View Post
    im gona print out the pdf ver. when i play with my ud5 tonight
    just wondering if u can share ur batch# for the 2600k D1 .. mine is L038A659 .. bought from retail this morning havent had a chance to open it up yet .I see most people here at XS with L039B L040B .. thinking if mine is a D1
    If it's a D1 it's not a retail 2600K 2600 ???
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    All retail are D2, or should be at least.

I have B066 i think.
    that's nice to know

seems like im the only one with the A here .. guess it doesnt have any special meaning
    will find out in 2 hrs when i boot it up
    i7 2600k (L038A659)
    p67-UD5
    Xigmatek S1832 2GT push and pull
    G-Skill ripjaws x 2x2
    BFG GTX 260
    HT Omega Claro
    Corsair TX750

Xtreme Mentor
    Wow! That has to be one of the best reviews I have ever seen. The only thing I would like to see is the 2600K compared to a 970/980x at 4.2Ghz. This is for me personally as I would like to know whether it is worth moving too or not from my 970. I really like the fact that the processor runs so cool compared to previous chips. I would also like to know about the cloud overclocking Gigabyte keeps talking about, is it like Asus' BT overclocking? Again, awesome read. Going to be hard to choose this or the Maximus IV if I go SB.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    Nice work
    SB very high cold bug
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right.

Good show sin0822

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Wow! That has to be one of the best reviews I have ever seen. The only thing I would like to see is the 2600K compared to a 970/980x at 4.2Ghz. This is for me personally as I would like to know whether it is worth moving too or not from my 970. I really like the fact that the processor runs so cool compared to previous chips. I would also like to know about the cloud overclocking Gigabyte keeps talking about, is it like Asus' BT overclocking? Again, awesome read. Going to be hard to choose this or the Maximus IV if I go SB.
    Yes cloud OC is just like that, except i think you gotta buy the bluetooth dongle, they are pretty cheap. I personally don't OC from my phone but I can see how it could be useful.Yea the UD7 definitely lives up to expectations, its a pretty nice board. I don't think mainstream Sb is a match for a hexacore lol, to be really honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by scccm View Post
    that's nice to know

seems like im the only one with the A here .. guess it doesnt have any special meaning
    will find out in 2 hrs when i boot it up
    hey maybe it'll OC better! who knows! but it definitely will be D2 stepping it if a retail chip and doesn't say Intel Confidential on it.
    Everyone, thank you very much!

Note: i updated the price to $329, the UD5 is $269 , UD4 $199
    Last edited by sin0822; 01-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this is the motherboard i have plumped for , as its the only one out yet which supports 3 graphic cards and i like the overall quality of the board, does anybody know if 2400mhz memory speed will be adopted with this board as i think its 2133 but i know a few asus boards have the 2400 mhx memory speed so it could be implemented as i have some 2500mhz patriots

Xtreme Member
    I just love it. If I go for P67, this is going to be the chosen one. Too bad I can't seem to find any Mushkin Copperhead kits in Europe at the time. The Mushkins would look amazing on this board.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice write-up! Thanks! I'm anxious to start playing with this platform. UD7 looks strong!

Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    This is gonna be way more fun than my wifes tits.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSC View Post
    I just love it. If I go for P67, this is going to be the chosen one. Too bad I can't seem to find any Mushkin Copperhead kits in Europe at the time. The Mushkins would look amazing on this board.
    I got some Copperheads , you can get them in Germany mate

Nice oc tutorial ,these p67 look great but more good news will come soon

Xtreme Member
    I hit 5.2 on 1.48v with F7a bios. It was easy with your help. Thanks for nice guide man keep up good work. Tomorrow 5.5 I hope :P

I am Xtreme
    excellent OC i am glad to hear it!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks bro. i have one question I got it running Linxs stable only if i have LLC lvl 2 is that ok for 24/7use? My temps are like high 60's low 70's. I have XSPC rasa rx360 water cooling.

I am Xtreme
    yea it seems to be fine, just remember that with LLC Level 2 the real voltage under load is .3v higher than what you set in bios So if that voltage is straight with you for 24/7 which it seems it is with your temps, then you are ok.

Question Sin thank you for an awesome review! I have a question.

I am somewhat of a novice, I am currently using a QX9770 on an EVGA 790i and thinking of an upgrade. I would like to do my first SSD and W/C system for my personal use. Even looking at the EVGA GTX580 hydrocopper2 in a SLI pair. From what I've read it sounds like the 2600K screams but the chipset is a hiderance for my SLI asperations as it is a bottle neck. I can not bear the thought of spending money on a bottle neck. To be happy with my viable OC gaming, 3D rendering and video editing system, do I need to purchase the X58 chipset and the i7-980X? Any recomendations from anyone would be appreciated and thank you guys. As I am close to a build soon I will appologise for all my stupid novice questions now! OH I reread and realized I didn't type my thoughts out very well, what I mean is X58 can run two PCIe2 @ X16 while the P67 can not? I thought it could only run two PCIe2 @ X8? I guess what I mean is I thought the PCI-E SLI at X16 on the X58 chipset board would own all over the P67 @ X8 SLI.

Thank you all again, I love this forum!
    Last edited by Smileypuppy; 01-13-2011 at 01:50 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Get 2600K, it's perfectly fine for 2-Way SLI. If you want 3- or 4-Way, then you need 980X.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Sin0, you may want to clear your PM box.

I am Xtreme
    done sorry about that

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileypuppy View Post
    I am somewhat of a novice, I am currently using a QX9770 on an EVGA 790i and thinking of an upgrade. I would like to do my first SSD and W/C system for my personal use. Even looking at the EVGA GTX580 hydrocopper2 in a SLI pair. From what I've read it sounds like the 2600K screams but the chipset is a hiderance for my SLI asperations as it is a bottle neck. I can not bear the thought of spending money on a bottle neck. To be happy with my viable OC gaming, 3D rendering and video editing system, do I need to purchase the X58 chipset and the i7-980X? Any recomendations from anyone would be appreciated and thank you guys. As I am close to a build soon I will appologise for all my stupid novice questions now! OH I reread and realized I didn't type my thoughts out very well, what I mean is X58 can run two PCIe2 @ X16 while the P67 can not? I thought it could only run two PCIe2 @ X8? I guess what I mean is I thought the PCI-E SLI at X16 on the X58 chipset board would own all over the P67 @ X8 SLI.

Thank you all again, I love this forum!
    Well it has been proven time and time again, that is real world performance you won't notice that much of a difference from 8x,8x to 16x,16x SLI. From w what i have seen from this board though and while benchmarking is something amazing, this board is able to give you 2 way sli performance of X58 boards even with added latency of the NF200 pci-e bridge which turns 16x to 32x for 16x,16x SLI.

great review sin

Have you tested the Multi Changing directly on OS with easytune?

I have some trouble with that, not working for me right now

Talking Thank you Sin.

Well it has been proven time and time again, that is real world performance you won't notice that much of a difference from 8x,8x to 16x,16x SLI. From w what i have seen from this board though and while benchmarking is something amazing, this board is able to give you 2 way sli performance of X58 boards even with added latency of the NF200 pci-e bridge which turns 16x to 32x for 16x,16x SLI.
    I would like to OC as well as some benchmarking, though this will be a 24/7 workstation / playstation for my self, I would like some expensive components, like running dual raidO SSD / WD Velocirapters and the GTX 580 FTW Hydrocopper2 in SLI in a Silverstone case etc, so any money I can save but still have awesome performance is very helpful. Still might save for the 6 core while I wait for EVGA to release their "Classified" line of 2600K P67 boards! ( I mean I plan on a Sandy Bridge build though I may choose to change my mind while waiting for mobo I want lol) Man I hate trying to be patient and having to wait.

Last edited by Smileypuppy; 01-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Yeap, I just said water would fix your PC problems!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicidePhoenix View Post
    great review sin

Have you tested the Multi Changing directly on OS with easytune?

I have some trouble with that, not working for me right now
    No I haven't I never had the need but make sure in BIOS you have ratio change on OS enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileypuppy View Post
    I would like to OC as well as some benchmarking, though this will be a 24/7 workstation / playstation for my self, I would like some expensive components, like running dual raidO SSD / WD Velocirapters and the GTX 580 FTW Hydrocopper2 in SLI in a Silverstone case etc, so any money I can save but still have awesome performance is very helpful. Still might save for the 6 core while I wait for EVGA to release their "Classified" line of 2600K P67 boards! ( I mean I plan on a Sandy Bridge build though I may choose to change my mind while waiting for mobo I want lol) Man I hate trying to be patient and having to wait.

I udnerstand I hate waiting too, the Gigabyte UD7 is a very nice and capable board, very good performance too.

No I haven't I never had the need but make sure in BIOS you have ratio change on OS enabled.
    yes for sure,had ratio change on OS enabled.

I think there is a problem with bios or easytuner, which should be fixed by Gigabyte as soon as possible.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast