Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coolgate Rads

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, never thought of using alternative inlets for different flow resistance, interesting idea. Though imho it won't matter much in big picture, as flow resistance of rads usually is small enough relative to waterblocks for that to be ignored, and one probably can freely use inlets based on however it's simpler to route tubing with.

Never go full retard
    I had to admit it, but churchy is right. Using the top barb ports won't mean more or less restriction vs the front ports.

As for FPI, yes your eyes are correct. It averages 7-8FPI when you measure across the length of the tubes.

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, averages 7-8? And IIRC RX rev2 had a bit lessened FPI, so looks like about the same.
    That's also one of ways to follow for newcomers @market. Copy best but sell cheaper.
    Last edited by Church; 01-23-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Banned
    I am quite curious, if 90% copper tubes will bring more performance, canīt wait for skinneeīs review any more!

Xtreme Member

toothpaste anyone?
    i7 980X | EVGA X58 Classified | 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2GHZ | 3-Way SLI GTX580| 2.5 TB Hdd | Corsair Obsidian 800D| Corsair AX1200W | Custom WC

Obsidian 800D Thread

AKA Arne-Mohammed and X-Force

sorry for bad English, Iīm from Sweden

The difference in terms of thermal resistance between thin wall brass tubes, and copper, when clad with lead-free solder is nowhere near as significant in performance as air and liquid side pressure drop.

Sure you can reduce the fin pitch to a point you may compromise the core structure but if you look at the performance numbers, the Thermochill PA pretty much equals it.

For reference from the same reviewer:

Xtreme Guru
    Oh, another one LC vendor rep on this forum? Nice to see.
    hwlab: IIRC PA was discontinued though, and replaced with TA, with worse cooling performance though.
    Speaking about all copper - i'd love to find out why magicool plexi elegants performed that much better then the rest at both low and high fan rpm range. Was it because of non painted fins or because of copper? If it's because of not painted - maybe it's worthy idea to use by other rad manufacturers too?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Oh, another one LC vendor rep on this forum? Nice to see.
    hwlab: IIRC PA was discontinued though, and replaced with TA, with worse cooling performance though.
    Speaking about all copper - i'd love to find out why magicool plexi elegants performed that much better then the rest at both low and high fan rpm range. Was it because of non painted fins or because of copper? If it's because of not painted - maybe it's worthy idea to use by other rad manufacturers too?
    I believe that's the site, not the vendor.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    these look like they would be pretty easy to stack like the stackable MCR stuff from swiftech maybe these will end up instead of a bunch of swiftys in my upcoming build

Xtreme Guru
    Stacking in most cases is bad. Why bother?

I am Xtreme
    That testing was done on rads that have a much higher FPI than these rads. I'd really like to see this testing revisited someday with a bit more thoroughness.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Guru
    Waterlogged: those higher FPI rads are bit of like RS/BIP/MCRs, they partially compensate middle FPI with lower thickness. Skinnee also didn't get much of improvement from stacked sandwich of MCRs over single rad. And in both of these tests they note that higher speed fans are needed for their higher pressure to compensate increased airflow resistance. - Now what does that reminds me of? - exactly! High FPI rads. Same worse performance with quiet fans and extra cooling capacity at higher rpms (just like Naekuh's suggested sandwitch with nutcase san aces in between). So what advantage might bring using two lower FPI rads to get something similar optimisation/performance wise as one high FPI rad like GTX? Takes more space, price goes up, result same. And what both rad sandwitch and high fpi rads have common - bad choice for quiet setups.

I have to admit, just to make sure, extra testing never hurts. Skinnee, you don't happen to have two RX or SR1 arround?
    Last edited by Church; 01-25-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    I believe that's the site, not the vendor.
    no, its vendor. Member registration date (year) does not match the date of start of corresponding site.

Stacking in most cases is bad
    I would also ad another rad config to compare: fan-rad1-fan-rad2-fan. Overall 9 fans over2 rads, and see how well it would perform.
    And what both rad sandwitch and high fpi rads have common - bad choice for quiet setups.
    well the time those test were done, no one knew that GT fans will appear to be the best fans performance/noise wise.
    I suggest, the test should be repeated with different fans (like GTs: low, med and high speed) and with different FPI rads (preferably low ones)
    Last edited by SpuTnicK; 01-26-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Quote Originally Posted by hwlabs View Post
    The difference in terms of thermal resistance between thin wall brass tubes, and copper, when clad with lead-free solder is nowhere near as significant in performance as air and liquid side pressure drop.

Sure you can reduce the fin pitch to a point you may compromise the core structure but if you look at the performance numbers, the Thermochill PA pretty much equals it.

For reference from the same reviewer:

Hello

The people who write this review.
    Thank you for watching my test.

In my test results, the fan speed - speed of the fan performance was slightly better than a PA120.3.

This radiator was like wow.

http://translate.google.de/translate...tml%23readmore

Xtreme Addict
    i am also stacking with more fans than he used in any test...not to mention higher speed ones

Something that occurred to me today that I never see mentioned is the effect of the inlet/outlet placement. It seems to me with the inlets placed out at the corners of the radiator the water has an equidistant path regardless of which way it goes through the radiator.

Conversely, with the inlets closer to the middle, the paths vary in length, with the water at the edges traveling a longer distance. The longer path will naturally be more restrictive, meaning an overall lower flow rate towards the outside edges of the radiator.

I'll illustrate the point:

It's also worth considering the effect of fan deadzones, which will be directly over the center of the radiator - the area with the highest flow rate in an unequal-water-path radiator. In other words, the greatest thermal transfer between the water and radiator fins is in the middle, while the greatest thermal transfer between the fins and the air is toward the edges. Moving the inlets to the corners serves to improve the overall thermal transfer.

Come to think of it, considering the airflow distribution and deadzones of typical fans, it may be beneficial to design some restriction into the channels closer to the center (or alternatively, make the outer channels less restrictive) in order to take greater advantage of the increased fin-air thermal transfer at those locations.

Anyway, if these Coolgate radiators perform better than average, the corner inlets might be one reason why. It could also be one reason the Swiftechs perform relatively well for their thickness.

Never go full retard
    I have to admit, just to make sure, extra testing never hurts. Skinnee, you don't happen to have two RX or SR1 arround?
    You guys are

Well, current radiator testing (rads already on hand) is planned out through the 3rd week in March. There is some slack in there, but not much... each radiator goes through 96 hours of thermal testing.

After that I was planning on doing the the fan orientation testing and then 240 and 480's or the Mora/Nova testing. I can bump the 240's / 1080's and get stacked testing in if you would rather, but that means the 240's / 1080's will get bumped quite a bit. Stack testing is going to take about two-three weeks to do it properly, and I would need to pick up another SR1.

Your choice, just don't complain after you've made your choice.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    You guys are

Well, current radiator testing (rads already on hand) is planned out through the 3rd week in March. There is some slack in there, but not much... each radiator goes through 96 hours of thermal testing.

After that I was planning on doing the the fan orientation testing and then 240 and 480's or the Mora/Nova testing. I can bump the 240's / 1080's and get stacked testing in if you would rather, but that means the 240's / 1080's will get bumped quite a bit. Stack testing is going to take about two-three weeks to do it properly, and I would need to pick up another SR1.

Your choice, just don't complain after you've made your choice.

I just want it on the record that I never mentioned your name. I was kind of hoping Martin would be intrigued enough by this that he would take up the challenge,

I'd rather see the other testing done first, we've been needing solid testing of that stuff for a while. This can wait a bit longer IMO.
    Circles SucQ!

Never go full retard

No worries, it is something I need to do, just wanted to let you know timelines I am working with. Martin is on a noise endeavor... which I am happy to see him take on.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post

No worries, it is something I need to do, just wanted to let you know timelines I am working with. Martin is on a noise endeavor... which I am happy to see him take on.
    It's all cool.

Did you watch those links I sent you ?
    Circles SucQ!

Never go full retard

a few seconds of them, about all I cared to.

Banned
    can u share these funny links with us, waterlogged?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rheydt View Post
    I knew I shouldn't have said that in public.

Sorry but no, I can't.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rheydt View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3dHi_o7Yw

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast