Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EK-VGA Supreme HF

EK-VGA Supreme HF

Need opinion on these blocks. Not much talking about them and cant find any review. If u have some experience plz share them. I would like to cool HD 5870 with it. Sry for bad english.

Xtreme Monster
    No idea how good it is but I would have bought it if they had been released early, instead I imported the Koolance GPU-220 from US for just $150. It is way better than the old version and to reassure the price is right, you can't go wrong with it.

Xtreme Guru
    Supposedly less resistive then it's not-HF predecessor VGA Supreme. Imho you should give up searching for reviews. Heck, i haven't seen one even about more widespreadly used MCW60 directly compared to MCW80 - most probably you will not have more luck in finding tests about less widely used, like Koolance's several universal blocks, both blocks by EK, XSPC one and possibly more. It's something of a game of luck. Skinnee! Were are thou?!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Universal block reviews would be awesome, but then the review is only how well can it cool the gpu, with no focus on the rest of the card which is pretty hot.
    Some manufactures like swiftech have unisinks for some cards, but not too many anymore.
    I feel that there will be not enough info for today's cards in a review of only gpu coolers, especially if a reviewer had to find multiple vrm and ram cooling options. ( would still like to see a round up, bundi's review of 480 coolers included the mcw80 with

Either way, I love universal blocks and i think they'll be here for a while in this new world of one timers.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

I have got a GPU220 cooling a GTX470 with no problems at all. I just use Enzotech ram and mosfet sinks to cool the rest of the card. Its fine if you have some airflow in your case. I don't expect the EK to be any different in terms of ability. You will find that GPU blocks are a bit less complicated than CPU blocks anyway with very little variation amongst the better offerings.

When choosing the block, think about which fittings you will be using and make sure G1/4 thread location on the block is such that tubing + fittings will clear ram sinks etc.

If I were redoing the build, I may have gone with a full cover block only because it would have made routing the tubing in my case a bit tidier. I tend to upgrade videocards often so a universal made sense at the time.

Oh and looking at the mounting systems, I like EKs better than the GPU220.

I would also appreciate a review of universal GPU blocks. I'm still using Zalman GWB3 which needs replacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    I feel that there will be not enough info for today's cards in a review of only gpu coolers, especially if a reviewer had to find multiple vrm and ram cooling options.
    For VRM cooling can be used Koolance MVR-40. There are a lot of heat plates for this block. And if neither of those available have the required size you can make one by yourself. I'm using it on my graphics card. And ram chips don't need any cooling.

Never go full retard
    Yes, I am required to do the testing since we tested full covers... Vapor has reminded me more than once.

My two problems presently...
    Still trying to figure out how I want to cool the VRM's and Memory on a GTX480. Not sure if I like the unisinks or want to use the Thermalright solution. But I won't be installing sensors between the chokes this time.

The other problem... you're going to want every universal gpu block ever posted online.
    Last edited by skinnee; 01-08-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    skinnee: how about .. cooling memory with mini heatsinks set (as imho most using universal blocks do), as for VRMs .. some more finned heatsinks eg. like those of thermalright, or same as those memory mini ones+some fan, or mini waterblock to be safe (but not to include in universal block loop to not impact it's thermal performance or flow resistance data)? And maybe stock heatspreader plate can still be used?
    Last option would be to use less hot VRM videocard, but by going this route you will loose way to directly compare universal water block performance to all the rest fullcovers tested.

I'm a fan of GPU only blocks on single card setups. Personally to cool the ram/VRMs on my 4870 I use the stock backplate with a very slow spinning fan pointed at it. Unless I am mistaken the GTX 480 also has a backplate that can be left on the card if you use a core only block, which might be a good solution to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Still trying to figure out how I want to cool the VRM's and Memory on a GTX480.
    Why are all cooling gurus so convinced that memory chips do need cooling??? Yes, they are hot when stressed, but they work perfectly OK.

By now I had 5 graphics cards in my rig. (FX5900XT, 6600GS, 7600GS, HD3870, HD4850) And I have been using GPU-only water block on them, on last two also VRM-only block. And they worked perfectly without any RAM cooling.

Xtreme Guru
    pokazene_maslo: They already burnt one 480 during previous big full cover roundup for that card. I see nothing wrong with wishing to be on safe side this time . Also almost all the cards you mentioned are of older generations and not such heat monsters as 480 fermi is. Even though memory-wise there is not much need to do anything, i'm not so sure about it being applicable to VRM too.

Never go full retard
    I'm no where near as concerned with the memory as I am VRM's. But, as churchy said, just want to be as safe as possible.

I'd prefer to do another full cover round-up (like the Rampage III Extreme article, but release data as I go) with a GPU that has its own VRM sensors and do universal blocks on that as well. But, that may not be do-able at this juncture.

If you wish to be on safe side use universal blocks on GPU and VRM, passive heat sinks on memory chips and attach two 80mm fans on card to cool the rest of the card (capacitors, chokes...).
    EDIT: watercooling is a , it cools only few specific components. Rest is in pain because of low air circulation.

I'm not arguing about the necessity of cooling VRMs. They need to be cooled fairly well, I have my own experience with that. Both 3870 and 4850 had a small heatspreader on VRMs that was relying on air circulation provided by GPU fan. When I removed that GPU cooler and installed a GPU block, the cards started to crash under heavy load because of high VRM temperatures. Placing a 80mm fan on that heatspreder resolved that. Later I bought Koolance MVR-40 and removed the fan.

PS: GTX480's power consumption has nothing to do with memory.

EDIT: About those full cover round-ups: Their value is very low to me. They apply only to 1-2 cards, it takes you half a year until you post the results, and after another half a year those cards will become obsolete. On the other hand universal blocks can be applied to hundreds of different cards, and a universal block lasts you for at least 5 years.
    Last edited by pokazene_maslo; 01-08-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: It takes me a long time to write what I want.

Xtreme Member
    Jesus, you sound extremely arrogant and amazingly ungrateful. Skinnee and his testing are very highly regarded and trusted on an international scale, major watercooling companies use his reviews on there websites, he did this to help us, to be honest I don't really appreciate your tone towards him and don't think im alone on that one.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme | i7 920 @ 4ghz (1.4v 200 BCLK) | 6 Gig OCZ Reaper 1866mhz | MSI GTX 480 Tri-SLi | Intel X25-M | 5 WD 1TB in RAID0 | Thermaltake 1500watt ToughPower | Samsung SM305T |

EK Supreme | EK Mosfet Blocks | Koolance MB-ASR2E NB/SB Block | DRAM Block for MB-ASR2E | MCP355 | MCP355 | TFC XCHANGER Triple & Quad Radiators | Lian Li P80

A man who appreciates 2560x1600

Maybe I sound that because English is not my native language. I didn't meant any disregard. What I said is plain fact. Although I have to admit that "half a year" is exaggerated.
    Last edited by pokazene_maslo; 01-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Well, it's actual problem, if reviews take too long to finish for results to be actually usable for component choice. Of course, taking some shortcuts might affect credibility of data, and then skinnee lab results might become like many others, as quick tests with big margin of error and not so trusty anymore.

About the only ways i can think of to workaround that - to carefully go through all the steps checking if somewhere something can be shortened without affecting results, for example - multiple remounts with averaging results to eliminate mounting error/aplying TIM paste - how about not doing full testing with each of remounts, but only some quick/shortened run to check how good is mount, and then run one full testing run with it's results adjusted by coefficient relative to average result of quick initial tests. Of course, using TIM paste with known no cure time is needed. Maybe something smart can be thought out about other steps too, to shorten required human-hours to perform them yet to still get trusty results.
    Other way for getting results quicker to readers - by releasing data in portions, eg. like Martin did for his fan roundups - as soon as one component is tested, release it's data by adding to article and updating united charts/data sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I'm no where near as concerned with the memory as I am VRM's. But, as churchy said, just want to be as safe as possible.

I'd prefer to do another full cover round-up (like the Rampage III Extreme article, but release data as I go) with a GPU that has its own VRM sensors and do universal blocks on that as well. But, that may not be do-able at this juncture.
    If you do find time to test some of the popular GPU core only blocks I would be very interested to read it.

As for the VRM temperature, I would copy a typical user installation. Some ramsinks stuck to the mosfets and a case fan for airflow.

What might be interesting would be a test to see if VRM temperature had any impact on performance.. the problem being that this would be very card specific due to different manufacturers/cards having very different vreg designs.

Xtreme Guru
    Holst: if under impact on performance by VRM temps you meant max overclocks, then imho they might play role only at very extreme overclock rates with very high power usage. But imho VRM temps might play bigger role in ensuring longer life of video card, especially if it's used fully loaded for long periods of time (eg. folding). I imagine possibility of reaching adequate overclock even on sub-par VRM cooling for few days, but high overclock + folding on that card for half a year, year or more? Imho chance to burn card is rather high with such permanent heating without adequate cooling on VRMs.

I use four of these blocks, two on a pair of 460's and two on a pair 9600GSO's. I used some passive heat sinks on the RAM and havnt looked back.

Not sure about the rules posting images. Please remove if necessary.

Banned
    I also have 2 EK VGA Supreme HF on 2 GTX 460 (just heatsink on the VRM, ram is not hot)
    They do the job but I didn't try other universal WB so I can't compare..
    Only problem: the thumb screw on the back is a bit too long so it takes 2 slots and a half

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HackJoe View Post
    I use four of these blocks, two on a pair of 460's and two on a pair 9600GSO's. I used some passive heat sinks on the RAM and havnt looked back.

Not sure about the rules posting images. Please remove if necessary.
    Whats temps like ? So many people are using Uni blocks, and just using enzo heatisnks, seems to to do wonders

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Guru
    I wonder if anyone can thought out simple enough way to use these universal blocks with SLI/CF bridges by EK? Imho it would greatily enhance looks of SLI setups with these universal blocks.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I wonder if anyone can thought out simple enough way to use these universal blocks with SLI/CF bridges by EK? Imho it would greatily enhance looks of SLI setups with these universal blocks.
    Unique idea, Cant quite picture how it would look hey..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Guru
    Johnny87au: i can picture it in mind as simple enough to make, something like this, shoud be easy to make by EK or someone into making custom waterblocks like Duniek (as in releasing for these blocks some "extenders" , or replacement top of greater length and with needed shape of outlets, like of EK-FC Link addons (#1 / #2 / #3)). Second one imho will be simpler & cheaper to design/make, after all it would be almost same as existing EK VGA Supreme HF top, just prolongated to be above gpu card's width like full covers, and with FC Link type of outlets, instead of thinking how to safely attach first type "extender" to existing top. Probably both variants have to be distanced from card's surface to be able to put those miniheatsinks on ram chips below extender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast