Thread: 800D - Phase case integration

Xtreme Addict

800D - Phase case integration

Yeah, so my brother's finally going to use a refrigerated cooler

I'd never really had a chance to show him any of the quieter coolers, so when he couldn't actually hear the compressor running (after the startup) he was pretty impressed.

So, he was planning on replacing his P180 since he went to some GTX480's and had to pull some HDD's to get them in and go to an 800D.

He likes the wider and longer case for space, and the cable management is a plus.

So, he asked if I could do a cooler in there. It's got the same height in the base (he says) of around 6".

That's the basic plan.

I've got a really cool horizontal condensor here for it that will do 3 x 120mm fans. Very thin, very light

That should ensure the condensor capacity is there. I'll be cutting a 6000btu condensor in half. 3000btu/900w of condensor should be plenty and allow for very low fan speeds. It's also very thin, only an inch thick.

So I may go with the 2 pieces 'stacked'.

I have a very small compressor from the Quad all in one that I can steal for this one . It's the CPU part, that gave around -19c at 300w load. I'd like to up that a bit, since he may go to 6 core at some point, and he's not as concerned about low temp, as being covered and getting that midrange result.

He's got a 9550cpu so I'm really curious what the -20 to -30 operating range will do for it with regard to overclocking, and of course the temps under full 4 core load for capacity comparison.

The compressor is exactly 6 inches so I may have to do a small mod to the case, or change the feet to 'low profile' ones.

So yeah, I'll run through it with pics when the case is here, since a few people asked about a case install on the 800D and hopefully it'll get started this weekend

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Oh yeah, that drawing is close but not really accurate for the compressor. I expect it to be a bit further out with the electrics pack on the end.

I've measured up though, and it would allow for space for a larger psu on his other case (already a 1kw longer one) so no issues there and the 800D is longer than his (he says)

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    That's interesting, a built in vapor cooling is really needed and this project should inspire others to build

You can have a horizontal condenser..?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian[Frozen] View Post
    That's interesting, a built in vapor cooling is really needed and this project should inspire others to build

You can have a horizontal condenser..?
    Yeah, it's actually easier to work with in some ways.

The ones I have, some aren't plumbed exactly right so I'll have to remove and refit the returns so it's top to bottom.

But it works fine horizontally. Can be much easier to fit in systems like these.

Need to work in 'traps' for oil though.

When I get started on it, you'll see what I mean

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This looks like a great project

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ TRICHEESE View Post
    This looks like a great project
    If by great project you mean 'great deal of work' then yes!

But I'm shooting for close to silent, and around the -15 to -20 load mark.

His quad shouldn't be more than 275w absolutely max, and more likely 225 to 250w with his level of complete stability (not for benching, just for fully stable OC) so it'll get tested to max 1m spi stability first, then working backwards to a full stability test to get an idea of what he can do with it.

4hz is his hopeful target and he's got decent parts so I figure it should get him pretty close.

If he's lucky with the chip, maybe more. But you never know til you try
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Well better late than never, but the Case has finally showed up.

So over the next few days, I'll get some pics of what's there, and measurements of what I need to do.

Unfortunately they do only give around 4.5" of space in the lower chamber

Not impossible, just means a lot more modification. I was hoping to just raise the top slightly, with a cap, but that's not going to be enough.

I'm going to have to go down instead, and I'll be making a tray for the base. The give around 1.25" with the feet of the case, and I'll be installing some 'glide' feet onto them, which should give close to 2" total, maybe 1.75.

That should bring it close to 6" which is what I need. I can also make some custom rubber feet for the compressor, lowering it's profile. The compressor I'm using has next to no vibration, so a minimal amount of rubber insulating it should be fine.

That'll take a bit of playing around, but the rest is actually easier than I thought. After looking at the back area for wiring, I can see space to run pipes in there with almost no visible pipe runs so that's a plus. If anything will be ugly, it'll be where the rest of things that are ugly live too.

So I'll make a start soon, get the condensor cut to the exact size and a method of mounting that's nice to look at. Probably do a similar shroud to the light one I made for the Horizontal project.

Just need to get the compressor housing made most of all, or this project will not fly.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Any Progress?
    My Apple is a Lemon

I'm also watching this thread closely
    NZXT H440 & custom H2o | Asus Rampage III Extreme x58 | i7 980x @ 4.5GHz 1.3v 24/7 | SLI GTX780Ti | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT @2000MHz | 3 x Samsung s27a950's in 120hz Nvidia Surround 5760 x 1080 |

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry, bit of a 'break' there for a week. Nothing good though.

Got a bit of work done on it, I'll get a few pics up tomorrow of how I went with the compressor install.

That's really the worst part. Everything else you can find a place for it without cutting much up, but if you don't have the height for the compressor, out come the cutting tools.

So yeah, will get that tomorrow, just settling back in tonight.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Nice, i always liked integrated systems

im building something alike for myself. I will create a thread about it soon.

Cheers.

Xtreme Member
    Still watching....
    My Apple is a Lemon

Xtreme Mentor
    Where does the user put his PSU?
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

-150c Club Member
    In the normal spot?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.