Thread: Xs hardware recycling program

Xtreme Guru

Xs hardware recycling program

Hey guys. I am wondering what to do with dead hardware. it cant be RMA'd and I cant just throw it out. All of you have the same questions. I would like to ask the hardware manufacturers for their feedback on this. Its a major problem. What can we do with hardware that doesnt work? Is there any recycling program out there? If not I would like to take 2011 and make some changes on how we do things around here. For example I have a pile of dead boards that are taking up space in my apt. I want them out of here but I cant just toss them. I would like things to change. If Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, Biostar wants to be a part of this I think it could be a great thing. Or is it just too much trouble for the hardware mfgrs to troubleshoot the hardware? can they reuse the pcb, caps, sockets etc? how about cpus? is there any gain for us that killed the hardware? like a point system for instance: I have 3 dead ga mitx 1156 boards? some sockets are bad. some are just bad luck. If I sent back 3 gigabyte boards could I get 1 board that works? maybe this would end the dishonest rma problem. We need a solution for benchers that dont want to be dishonest but maybe we can all make a compromise. I know there are more of you in the same boat as me. And I feel like there is more to gain by being honest and saying I have 4 dead boards...I'll send them all back and all I want is something that works. Or say I have 4 boards from one manufacturer and I get a point for each and I can redeem points for a new board if I send them all back. I would rather have 1 board that works than 4 dead ones.
    Anyone on the same page? I think we should get a system. in the end the mfgrs dont have to drive up the cost of hardware for dishonest rma and we get lower board costs and dont waste. I see so much wasting going on. I think there needs to be a change. If I were a manufacturer Id rather have some kids telling me straight up the hardware is dead and I'll give them a board for being honest. All I ask is you send all the head hardware back and you will get credits based on the hardware and msrp value of each item.
    Last edited by trans am; 01-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Xtreme Member
    If you have a goodwill nearby, a lot of them offer recycling programs, as does dell.
    Current: 2500k@ 4.0 // 8g Gskill // TZ68k+ // 5850 @ 900
    Best way to catch me is by PM // AKA Harmavoidance0

Xtreme Guru
    no for DEAD hardware. you are missing the point. This thread is for the UNSPONSORED "COOL KIDS CLUB" This is for the class if guys that must pay for every piece of hardware and not getting flows. They break hardware more than the break records. They have lots of hardware that doesn't work anymore due to bad container mounting, condensation, water in a dimm slot, bent socket pins, scorched socket, etc. etc. The main point of this thread is for us benchers pushing your products and doing the work your engineers dont have time for......we are going to break a few boards in the process.

HERES THE SITUATION

1. RMA THE BOARD AND TELL THE PLACE YOU BOUGHT IT THAT ITS DOA? (they send to the mfgr and they send back to the retailer ex. newegg OPEN BOX)

2. TELL THE MFGR DIRECTLY THAT YOU SCREWED IT UP AND ITS MY FAULT ; MAY I SEND IT BACK AND GET A BOARD CREDIT. YEAH/ PLEASE SEND IT BACK AND WE'LL ADD IT TO YOUR POINTS.

i dont even care at this point. I have a bunch of boards that dont work and I want to see them anywhere but the trash bin. And RMA is out of the question. I was at fault.

I am a strong believer that when you rma hardware that was your fault and you are dishonest you will get the hardware back as a replacement and something bad will happen. For example you send your 5850 back to visiontek because it died when you splashed ln2 on it. and you get it back and you spill beer on your hard drives during your wr 32M run and you crashed before you saved the submission. Or you confused your beer glass for the Ln2 thermos and drank the ln2.

You get what I mean. is dead hardware worth sending back or is it cheaper to make a new one from scratch? Is there any way to reuse this crap?
    Last edited by trans am; 01-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.

XS - Extra Strong
    The cost of individually removing and verifying every component would easily exceed their value, making this a rather unprofitable venture.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Hardware Nightmare
    It depends of what you have.

Often extreme guys need some stuff and components to make cool things, tune and mod their hardware for WRs or just repair blown videocard or motherboard.
    And modern videocard or motherboard have lots of advanced components which are not usually sold on flea market or retail electronic shops. The only way to bring life - is to desolder component from another dead board, to repair needed one.

For example - you burn Volterra VRM on radeon 5870 during benched. Nobody will sell single Volterra chip to you, because it only for OEM/ODMs. Nowhere to buy. But having spare dead 5870 or 2900XT or 4890 with same part - is your saver, you can put chip off there and repair your 5870. I personally did similar things a lot, and still do. Same related to high-current inductors, capacitors (try to buy nec/tokin proadlizer in volume less than container ) etc.

So idea is good, to make club of exchange dead parts, but it's worth spending time only if:

a) there is only top hardware for trade.
    b) shipping expenses are less than buying whole new card
    c) people will spend lots of time to sort and coordinate stuff

few words for every point:

a) - good components and advanced parts which are hard to buy are usually present only on high-end boards. No sense to buy low-end gpu/mobo if everyone actually have one or two dead to scrap parts.
    b) - no sense to send dead board with price 5$ to another continent for 50$ shipping. Maybe only if wholesale packs, but then customs problem may arrive, they could not undestand sense sending 10 dead videocards
    c) - it's hard work to maintain base of people willing to provide stuff and willing to get parts. It should be organized

So, here is my 5 cents )
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

Brilliant Idiot
    I got a nice 1250+ core 4890 your welcome to tin if you can fix it, out of my league tbh, something died on power side.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Hardware Nightmare
    chew*

I think that this is exactly case b) with you, dear

Shipping here and back cost more than new 4890 one
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I got a nice 1250+ core 4890 your welcome to tin if you can fix it, out of my league tbh, something died on power side.
    Usually if a battery comes into that state, it is because of physical changes within the battery like different cells becoming inactive or corroded or something

i buy non fuctioning computer hardware all the time off ebay or other members.
    my classified had a melted 24pin
    i had a DFI LP nf3 i brought back to life with a set of new caps
    my 470 had a bad cap that was causing it to overclock very badly and run really hot, it was a referb that someone bought and sold to a buddie of mine.
    now it overclocks to just shy of 900/1800 1.17V.
    theirs all kinds of stuff you can do with broken hardware.
    the crappiest 920 D0 ever EVGA E759
    3x2GB DOM GT CMG2000C8
    GTX 470

humm i only pushed the button once what gives?
    3x2GB DOM GT CMG2000C8
    GTX 470

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by TiN_EOF View Post
    chew*

I think that this is exactly case b) with you, dear

Shipping here and back cost more than new 4890 one
    ahh i'm just offering it to you Tin.

I don't need it back. Shame it died, not to common 1250 core 4890's.

Quote Originally Posted by Williambra View Post
    Usually if a battery comes into that state, it is because of physical changes within the battery like different cells becoming inactive or corroded or something
    My cards can't corrode.......ever.

I know its a power issue....pwm sink fell off in 3dmark 01 in nature at 1250.
    Last edited by chew*; 01-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

id like to see a 4890 corroded, but yea sounds like an easy fix, most likely a burnt mosfet or 2, a heat gun, pliers, and some new parts should fix it up like new.
    3x2GB DOM GT CMG2000C8
    GTX 470

Xtreme Member
    ahh i'm just offering it to you Tin.

I don't need it back. Shame it died, not to common 1250 core 4890's.

I'll give it a go

This is an interesting idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    i dont even care at this point. I have a bunch of boards that dont work and I want to see them anywhere but the trash bin. And RMA is out of the question. I was at fault.

I am a strong believer that when you rma hardware that was your fault and you are dishonest...
    You have earned my respect for that comment. Honesty carries alot of weight in my eyes.

Anyway.. I've never heard of getting any kind of credit for broken hardware. However, alot of the boards contain dangerous elements and chemicals inside and on the PCB. My recommendation would be to contact a recycling company that can recycle the parts. Here were I work we do a recycle week once a year where you can bring in any electronics that are broken and they will be recycled. It's free too! People bring in 20 year old TVs, computers, you name it. Unfortunately, I don't know the company that we go through. If you'd like to know the company we use PM me and I'll find the name and post it on this forum for everyone.

Xtreme Member
    it would be nice, but no, some places dont even bother with diagnosing and just send you the new replacement. who knows what happens to your dead part after that?

in any case, there are several e-waste/e-recycling centers in my area, so i would assume you could find some too. usually the local schools have a "free" day where i can bring stuff. otherwise they charge. very annoying.

if you have a best buy or fry's near you, i think they accept stuff too.
    1. INTEL E5200 M0 (200x12.5 @1.175), Abit IP-35Pro, 2x2GB DDR2-1000, GT240
    2. INTEL i7-920 C0 (200x19 @1.275), Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, 4x4GB DDR3-1333, GTX680 FTW+ 4GB

heat

Xtreme Member
    im pretty sure most of the E-recyclers usually just ship it to china and dump it there, so honestly its not really worth your time.

Re-using old parts like caps and chips I think is the BEST way to recycle the hardware.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus View Post
    im pretty sure most of the E-recyclers usually just ship it to china and dump it there, so honestly its not really worth your time.

Re-using old parts like caps and chips I think is the BEST way to recycle the hardware.
    Actually, you aren't too far from the truth. There are a number of scrupulous companies that do exactly that! The company that my work uses has won many awards for their recycling efforts. They are the real deal. I'll provide the company name tomorrow when I get to work.

Xtreme Member
    I was, in fact, referring to DEAD hardware. goodwill/dell have a bare-metal recycling program, where they tear things down to component metals, then have them recycled into new parts. There is very little waste (mostly broken plastic). I've seen it in action. if you don;t care about monitary return, then that is a fair way to get rid of your old gear without tossing it.
    Current: 2500k@ 4.0 // 8g Gskill // TZ68k+ // 5850 @ 900
    Best way to catch me is by PM // AKA Harmavoidance0

Xtreme Member
    Ironically I just watched an episode of Dirty Jobs where they showed recycling E-Waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

lets start a club . i would be willing to organize and keep a list of hardware we have collected. just let me know @trans!

i have been looking for something that i can give back to the communities of overclocking forums. this could be a good chance for me!

RAIDer
    Isn`t this Xtremesystems? Who cares about money then

I am Xtreme
    I like the idea; let me know how I can help to make this happen
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.