Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulldoze that Sandy Bridge

Bulldozer will beat Sandy Bridge by 5%. You read it here first.

No I have no idea how it will do. But, I hope for the best... because heck I'll want one I'm sure Would be nice if it dropped into my MSI GD70 but I figure it may be like AM2+ chips were - they "worked" in some AM2 boards but not too well.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

^^ Well, assuming theres a BD that lacks quad channel memory support and no built-in IGP, theres no reason why BD can't come to AM3 AFAIK. The problem, is more with AMD and their willingness to do something like that.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of an IGP on the CPU? For some I guess it might be ok, but I don't care for it. For me, I'll never use IGP in the first place, so why pay for something that takes space and power when you're not gonna use it? Maybe the high end ones won't have it, as most people with a high-end CPU will be using a dedicated gfx card anyway.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of an IGP on the CPU? For some I guess it might be ok, but I don't care for it. For me, I'll never use IGP in the first place, so why pay for something that takes space and power when you're not gonna use it? Maybe the high end ones won't have it, as most people with a high-end CPU will be using a dedicated gfx card anyway.
    We agree, I don't want IGP on the cpu asto me it's just a place where power is needed in a place where I don't need extra heat generated or power used.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_Seraphi View Post
    If i understand it wont be as efficent as two 'real' cores but instead of the 20% performance gain that HT gives intel with 20% more die space, AMD is hoping for more around 60-80% performance but with only around 40% increase in die space.

The front end on all chips is the lightest area used so hopefully by sharing it between core it will benefit performance/mm2.
    Actually, the silicon space used by the second core amounts to ~5% additional silicon space, not 40%.

We will be delivering an 8-core bulldozer die in less space than the current 6-core dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    ^^ Well, assuming theres a BD that lacks quad channel memory support and no built-in IGP, theres no reason why BD can't come to AM3 AFAIK. The problem, is more with AMD and their willingness to do something like that.
    It has nothing to do with willingness. For the most part, the only people that want AM3 are enthusiasts (few others ever upgrade processors). The problem with putting bulldozer in an AM3 socket is that it would compromise on performance and features, two things that the enthusiasts would want.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    +1. My thoughts exactly. I don't want to pay for something I'm never going to use. The only time I would accept a IGP in my CPU is if it did something useful.. like being able to set it to do physics through a driver or something.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Actually, the silicon space used by the second core amounts to ~5% additional silicon space, not 40%.

We will be delivering an 8-core bulldozer die in less space than the current 6-core dies.

It has nothing to do with willingness. For the most part, the only people that want AM3 are enthusiasts (few others ever upgrade processors). The problem with putting bulldozer in an AM3 socket is that it would compromise on performance and features, two things that the enthusiasts would want.
    Any news on the 16 core cpu's for the dualies or is that still off in the furture and under NDA?
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Really? Well would you know I'm a enthusiast and I don't give a crap about quad channel memory support or a built-in IGP. I want a balls-to-the-walls CPU. I don't want to pay for stuff I will never use (in the case of IGP) and as for quad channel memory, while it has some benefits obviously, their hardly earth-shattering.
    Last edited by Ket; 01-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Really? Well would you know I'm a enthusiast and I don't give a crap about quad channel memory support or a built-in IGP. I want a balls-to-the-walls CPU.
    Well thats TFB as they ain't making that!

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Any news on the 16 core cpu's for the dualies or is that still off in the furture and under NDA?
    16 core? Pfft. I want a 1000 core CPU by 2014

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    16 core? Pfft. I want a 1000 core CPU by 2013
    I'll be happy with a solid running 32 core system.
    If they run as nice as the current 12 core MC chips they have a winner.
    Seriously,had that system up since I think May at 100% load 24/7 and it is as stable as anyone could ask for and excellent temps..
    I forgot:
    Happy New Year to you!

Well thats TFB as they ain't making that!
    Just means they won't get my money then One of the primary rules of business: give the customer what they want Ask anyone about the built-in IGP with BD and I bet you will get the same answer every time: Whats the point? Far as I've read AMD haven't even really said why they are putting a IGP in the CPU.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

I'll be happy with a solid running 32 core system.
    If they run as nice as the current 12 core MC chips they have a winner.
    Seriously,had that system up since I think May at 100% load 24/7 and it is as stable as anyone could ask for and excellent temps..
    I forgot:
    Happy New Year to you!
    I'm a CPU whore. Its about time the old dog had a 1000 personality complex under its hood and happy new year to you too my good man!

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I'm a CPU whore. Its about time the old dog had a 1000 personality complex under its hood and happy new year to you too my good man!
    Well I do think we all will be waiting a long time before 1000 core chips arrive and at any price any blue collar person could afford.
    To me right now I look for performance per watt of electrical use as my work is 24/7
    Now I understand that I'm in the minority on this but I think you guys in GB and Europe should be looking at this also as your electrical costs run 2-3 times what ours do in the US.

Actually, thats not true of power usage for the 1000 core CPU. Heres a little copy/paste jobby from the article in my link ;

Although multi-core processors have made long strides in the last few years it appears that there is quite a long way to go until the technology reaches its full potential as one researcher form the University of Glasgow demonstrated when it built an 1,000 core chip that is 20 times faster than current desktop computers.

Furthermore, the resulting computer was greener than most present-day machines as its processor used far less power than most dual and quad-core CPUs available on the market.

In order to achieve this feat scientists relied on an FPGA chip (Field Programmable Gate Array), this type of processors being used for medical imaging, computer vision, speech recognition or cryptography applications as well as in aerospace and defense systems.

Compared to regular computer processors, FPGA chips can be configured into specific circuits by the user, enabling the team led by Dr Wim Vanderbauwhede, of the University of Glasgow, to divide the transistors in groups each performing a special task.

By creating more than 1000 mini-circuits, the developers were able to turn the chip into an 1,000 core CPU capable of processing around 5GB of data per second.

This makes it approximately 20 times faster than modern computers.

“FPGAs are not used within standard computers because they are fairly difficult to program but their processing power is huge while their energy consumption is very small because they are so much quicker - so they are also a greener option,” said Dr. Wim Vanderbauwhede to DailyMail.

Although this is only a very early proof-of-concept, Dr. Vanderbauwhede thinks these type of chips are to become more common in the future, speeding up computers even further over the next few years.

If everything goes well, the 1,000-core chip developed will be showcased at the International Symposium on Applied Reconfigurable Computing in March next year.

Thats what I call Epic win

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    snip
    Thats what I call Epic win
    Yes, agreed and when I get one and test I'll post the numbers here!

I can only imagine you with a 1000 core CPU and what things you would make it do

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

I am Xtreme
    Yes, agreed and when I get one and test I'll post the numbers here!
    The NDA might outlive you, though...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

lol

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Well, AMD and Intel and nVidia seem rather sure future loads will be ever more GPU heavy. For all I know, wPrime could be getting AVX instructions in the next update, even :p

Nice! How much did the process node change help? (or is that classified info?)

Xtreme Addict
    Kinda late for the whole IGP-talk: How much would an IGP influence heat? It'd be a minor part of the die, but GPUs in general output a lot of heat... which they can deal with, but CPUs can't.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    16-cores are in production in Q2 and launching in Q3.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme 3D Team
    Power planes(?)
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    I really wouldn't want an on-die integrated GPU.....
    Are the higher end models going to be without this "feature"?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    I really wouldn't want an on-die integrated GPU.....
    Are the higher end models going to be without this "feature"?
    Yeah, Orochi won't be an APU.
    Smile

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast