Rapid Restarts?

First, the specs.

i7 930
    MSi Big Bang Xpower
    2x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    XFX 750W PSU
    Mushkin 6GB DDR3 Redline
    GPU Explained Below

So I got the system together minus the GPU and OS. I have a 9800GT in my other rig, so I grabbed that and hooked it up to the system to see if the computer worked. The motherboard's LEDs lit up, but there was no post code for a while until the speaker made a beep about 8 seconds later. I looked at the post code and it said 85 or B5 or BS or 8S, who knows. As I got out the manual, the speaker made another beep or possibly two really rapid beeps. Then it shut down, so I thought "Ah, it must've been 85 talking about CPU temp! JESUS, OTP must've kicked in.". However, OTP keeps the computer shut down, correct? The computer came back on to my surprise and shut off after about 3 seconds... and repeated that until I shut the PSU off. I thought maybe I hit the OC Genie button because that causes rapid restarts (I think...). The OC Genie button was OFF! What's going on here?

Other notes: I know I was using the correct CPU 8-pin... had to check XFX's website, so I know it's correct. No signal to the monitor, but if it makes any difference, I was using a DVI to VGA adapter.

Please if someone could either help me here or send me a PM with an instant messenger username, that'd be fantastic.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Addict
    Try reseat the CPU.

Be sure that every mobo connector ( CPU 8pin, 24pin, others ) are correctly plugged.

Check the Memory for Miss installation to.
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Xtreme Addict
    Make sure you had put stand-off's on the motherboard tray. Sounds like a short of some sort. You may laugh but I know a guy who made that mistake being in a hurry.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Make sure you had put stand-off's on the motherboard tray. Sounds like a short of some sort. You may laugh but I know a guy who made that mistake being in a hurry.
    Good point
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450

Xtreme Addict
    I really don't want to take the whole computer apart again... so reseating the CPU will have to wait 'til last.
    I'm using an XSPC Rasa, how tight to I need to tighten the screws?

EDIT: I put every single mobo standoff save one... you think it really could be that one?
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Addict
    No, he just wanted to know if you used standoff. No standoff is bad

To prevent it from posting, you have to overthight the Block alot.

If your sure that every plug is safe and secure into the mobo, reseating and checking the CPU/bloc contact is your best bet. Its not that hard

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulard83 View Post
    No, he just wanted to know if you used standoff. No standoff is bad

To prevent it from posting, you have to overthight the Block alot.

If your sure that every plug is safe and secure into the mobo, reseating and checking the CPU/bloc contact is your best bet. Its not that hard
    Rephrase myself: I forgot one standoff. That could be the issue?

I'll reseat the memory, but the thing with reseating the CPU is that I'd have to remove the block... and I just got done getting the air bubbles out of the loop.

Also, for top-mounted radiators, I know it's procedure to turn the case upside down, but I've shook the case for a looong time and nothing is coming out, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any bubbles left.

Another thing, when I squeeze the tubing, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of pressure...

Xtreme Addict
    You see the water movement in the res ?

How did you bleed the loop ?

And you dont need to unplug your hose the remove the waterbloc. Just unscrew it and leave the tube connected.

Xtreme Addict
    You see the water movement in the res ?
    It kinda shakes a little, but it's not like a cyclone or anything.
    How did you bleed the loop ?
    Left it running for several, then came back and squeezed the tubing where bubbles were, leading them to the reservoir (uncapped). Then I tilted the case and rocked it a bit, then left it alone again for a few hours.
    And you dont need to unplug your hose the remove the waterbloc. Just unscrew it and leave the tube connected.
    Oh durp, I was thinking the wrong way.

Another note: The TIM I'm using is Shin Etsu ... the specific number is like X238 or something. It's very thick, like putty... not like the AS5 I used on a different rig, but this promises better temps.

Xtreme Addict
    You left it running. The whole computer or just the loop ?

As for the shin etsu, i never used it. but if its quite "hard" you may need to spread it before placing the bloc. And DONT use to much.

Xtreme Addict
    You left it running. The whole computer or just the loop ?

As for the shin etsu, i never used it. but if its quite "hard" you may need to spread it before placing the bloc. And DONT use to much.
    Naw, I use about between a rice and BB-sized piece.
    Just the loop, I have the 24-pin jumpered.

Xtreme Addict
    My next guess is to take a look at the CPU. Just unscrew your mounting, leave tubing on the bloc.

This mobo/cpu was working before WCing ?

Xtreme Addict
    Never used the stuff... the motherboard is used and was packaged impeccably, so I don't think it's the mobo. I'm going to wait until I get my MSi 460 Hawk before I continue troubleshooting, but any other possibilities are appreciated.

Xtreme Addict
    Happy new year for now

Im off and i have a big night coming.

Banned
    Sounds like your cpu or mobo is fried. Did you plug in your cpu power? Did you use esd protection? If so maybe you have a leak.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not so sure about that... I'm getting a boot, LEDs light up, and a post code or temp, not sure. CPU power is plugged in.

Another note I've thought about: I'm using extensions for the cables. I'll try using the bare PSU cables as well during the troubleshooting.

As for ESD protection, I carried everything using the electro-static bags, not sure if that helps or not. Assembly was in a basement with a cold stone floor, so I don't think I got any static electricity.

Huge note: Stock backplate was on already, but I found the backplate with the block fit over it easily... was I supposed to use both?

Pics:

Last edited by ScottALot; 12-31-2010 at 09:19 PM.

If you are using a P80P diagnostic card then 85 is a memory related code.

Try booting with only one stick of ram, clear the CMOS.
    Otherwise it could be CPU or motherboard.

Building a new rig into your case with perfect wiring and watercooling is always a mistake.
    I always build up a new rig with the motherboard rested on a large book (yellow pages or phone book) just to make sure that the new components work ok. Once you know its all good then you can take your time with your case installation. I know its a bit late for this now as you have installed everything, but its worth remembering for the future.

You contact patch on your CPU looks a bit rubbish but it wont be bad enough to cause any problems.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Holst View Post
    If you are using a P80P diagnostic card then 85 is a memory related code.

Try booting with only one stick of ram, clear the CMOS.
    Otherwise it could be CPU or motherboard.

Building a new rig into your case with perfect wiring and watercooling is always a mistake.
    I always build up a new rig with the motherboard rested on a large book (yellow pages or phone book) just to make sure that the new components work ok. Once you know its all good then you can take your time with your case installation. I know its a bit late for this now as you have installed everything, but its worth remembering for the future.

You contact patch on your CPU looks a bit rubbish but it wont be bad enough to cause any problems.
    P80P diagnostic card? I'm just using the stock MSi Big Bang XPower post LED.

It'd be nice to exclude RAM from the troubleshooting, thanks for that suggestion!

I did like you said with my first rig, but this one was too beautiful not to see right away

Yeah I agree with you there... not enough spread, so I might just use a different TIM so it actually spreads out more with the pressure.

Xtreme Guru
    Mind posting the LED error code your getting??

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    ...post code and it said 85 or B5 or BS or 8S, who knows. As I got out the manual, the speaker made another beep or possibly two really rapid beeps...
    That's all I have for a diagnostic from the board.

Xtreme Guru
    That's all I have for a diagnostic from the board.
    I cant find anything, Is the speaker making any more noises?? Or just the one ?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    I cant find anything, Is the speaker making any more noises?? Or just the one ?
    Just a regular post beep, but then right before it started rapidly restarting, it made a beep that sounded like two normal beeps combined.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I had a similar issue a couple months ago. It turned out to be my OCZ PSU was dying. Only way to test that was to borrow the PSU out of my son's computer and it fixed the problem. I ended up throwing the OCZ in the trash and bought a new Corsair.

Mine was sort of randomly just turning off, sometimes at post, sometimes in windows, and sometimes repeatedly at boot. The PSU wasn't that old either, only about 2 years was all it lasted.

Xtreme Guru
    Just a regular post beep, but then right before it started rapidly restarting, it made a beep that sounded like two normal beeps combined.
    Ok so the pc boots up and posts and keeps restarting, Im trying to narrow it down so u dont have to remove hardware but kinda hard as it could be multiple things.. You using latest bios ? Your gonna have to trial and error my friend.. problem wont just go away on its own unless you fiddle around with the hardware to narrow down the problem

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I had a similar issue a couple months ago. It turned out to be my OCZ PSU was dying. Only way to test that was to borrow the PSU out of my son's computer and it fixed the problem. I ended up throwing the OCZ in the trash and bought a new Corsair.

Mine was sort of randomly just turning off, sometimes at post, sometimes in windows, and sometimes repeatedly at boot. The PSU wasn't that old either, only about 2 years was all it lasted.
    I've heard OCZ not to be a great PSU manufacturer... but mines an XFX brand, so I sure hope it's not that. However, if it does end up being the PSU, it'd be more convenient than pretty much any other component.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Ok so the pc boots up and posts and keeps restarting, Im trying to narrow it down so u dont have to remove hardware but kinda hard as it could be multiple things.. You using latest bios ? Your gonna have to trial and error my friend.. problem wont just go away on its own unless you fiddle around with the hardware to narrow down the problem
    This computer is brand new to me, I'll contact the previous board user to see if he updated the BIOS. Trial and error will have to wait until I get my GPU which is going to be longer than expected. I'm just trying to find out if I made a mistake that someone will recognize and be able to diagnose on the spot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast