Thread: HELP! just ordered this PSU and its for a DELL..

NREMT-I

HELP! just ordered this PSU and its for a DELL..

I'm in the mist of building a very budget minded system, and ordered this PSU on newegg ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703016 ) i've only owned pcp&c PSU's so I thought It was a good buy. However upon looking over my order, It seems this is a DELL upgrade PSU... CRAP!! I called newegg and the order shipped so I cant change it, I cant belive I overlooked this spec, however newegg does not list it like that without reading the reviews.. I called PCP&C and asked them if it will be an issue usng this on a gigabyte ATX motherboard AM3, and he said it will be fine... so Im confused as of why this PSU is for a DELL??? Will I be OK here, or do I need to buy another PSU, and return this one when it comes here??
    Nothing anymore

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    doesnt matter.

its still a normal psu.

just just a name.

dell said it would fit. so they branded it. so people upgrading their dells would know for sure that it would fit.
    Last edited by NKrader; 12-30-2010 at 03:37 PM.

What's the matter with you? Dell is just a computer manufacturer. They build systems more powerful than anything you'll likely build, and they sometimes use quality parts. PC Power and Cooling is an excellent brand for power supplies. Don't look down on them because of Dell, look at dell with a little more respect because of this

Much like any other part, a power supply is a power supply, a processor is a processor. I'd gladly power my system using the supply of a Dell PC using the same processor and video card(s).
    Main - for now: Celeron @ 2500 MHz/1 GB DDR 400/Intel/40 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB
    eMac - OCing soon: PPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz/1.5 GB DDR/Radeon 9200/40 GB Leopard
    Win Web Server: 2x Opteron @ 2000 GHz/512 MB ECC DDR/3D Rage/ Needs fixin'
    Linux Web Server: Pentium III @ 1200 MHz256 MB PC133/Intel/40 GB Arch Linux

Xtreme Addict
    Not all psu's are wired the same...
    Some pc brands use odd wiring on there psu's so if you replace it yourself, you kill the entier system, it's done that way on purpose so that you have to pay someone to do all of your repairs on your system.

I'm not sure if dell was one of them or not though.

A simple thing to do is check the colors of the atx connectors and see if they match a normal psu.
    Or... check with a dmm by jump starting the psu.

Edit:
    Or even better, grab an old board you don't care about and start it up using the new psu, if it doesn't blow up, all is good.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by ben333 View Post
    What's the matter with you? Dell is just a computer manufacturer. They build systems more powerful than anything you'll likely build, and they sometimes use quality parts. PC Power and Cooling is an excellent brand for power supplies. Don't look down on them because of Dell, look at dell with a little more respect because of this

Much like any other part, a power supply is a power supply, a processor is a processor. I'd gladly power my system using the supply of a Dell PC using the same processor and video card(s).
    wth is wrong with you... Are you a dell nut hugger?? I know PC's brotha I dont need you to school me at all. Dell back in the day used propriatary hardware and there 20/24pins were different from others, but this is no longer the case as of late...
    Nothing anymore

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Dude, you got Dell'd!

Seriously, it should be a solid PSU considering it IS a PCP&C. Get a PSU tester just to keep things simple if you don't want to bother with a multimeter.

I wouldn't touch a dell. If you gave me one (besides the IPS monitors), I'd sell it in a sec.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    it says it's atx 12v compatible, so it can't be some crazy proprietary thing. it will be fine.
    pcp&c is owned by ocz now, I'm not sure if that has changed how good they are.
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Quote Originally Posted by newls1 View Post
    wth is wrong with you... Are you a dell nut hugger?? I know PC's brotha I dont need you to school me at all. Dell back in the day used propriatary hardware and there 20/24pins were different from others, but this is no longer the case as of late...
    If you know PCs then you should be able to drop the enthusiast perspective that things you didn't build are automatically junk. I'm not trying to school you in anything or somehow tell you I know more, I'm just saying that to not want to use a part because it fits a Dell is silly. I'm not familiar with the term "nut hugger" but I like a dell machine just as much as any other. Replace the board with one with better OC options (if it doesn't already have one) and you have pretty much the same machine you could have built yourself.

The days of Dell using different pinouts on the 20 pin connector are long gone. But really, does a different pinout automatically make the product inferior? I've seen many old dells still running today, it's a decent brand.
    Main - for now: Celeron @ 2500 MHz/1 GB DDR 400/Intel/40 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB
    eMac - OCing soon: PPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz/1.5 GB DDR/Radeon 9200/40 GB Leopard
    Win Web Server: 2x Opteron @ 2000 GHz/512 MB ECC DDR/3D Rage/ Needs fixin'
    Linux Web Server: Pentium III @ 1200 MHz256 MB PC133/Intel/40 GB Arch Linux

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Dude, you got Dell'd!
    Lol...

I wouldn't want a dell either, but a part is a part, I would have no issues taking a vga card form a dell and using it in my own deck.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by ben333 View Post
    The days of Dell using different pinouts on the 20 pin connector are long gone. But really, does a different pinout automatically make the product inferior? I've seen many old dells still running today, it's a decent brand.
    it does if it wont work in current hardware