Thread: new email scam from my inbox today :)

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

new email scam from my inbox today :)

Anti-Terrorist and International Fraud Division.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
    935 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
    Washington, DC 20535

ATTN: BENEFICIARY

This is to Officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have
    thoroughly completed an Investigation with the help of our Intelligence Monitoring
    Network System that you legally won the sum of $800,000.00 USD. from a Lottery
    Company outside the United States of America. During our investigation we discovered
    that your e-mail won the money from an Online Balloting System and we have
    authorized this winning to be paid to you via a Certified Cashier's Check.

It will take up to 10 business days for an International Check to be cashed by your
    local banks. We have successfully provide FBI Guarantee Letter in your package
    which will enable you cash your check instantly at any bank in United Sate

We have completed this investigation and you are hereby approved to receive the
    winning prize as we have verified the entire transaction to be Safe and 100% risk
    free, You will be required to settle the following bills directly to the Lottery
    Agent in-charge of this transaction whom is located in Lagos, Nigeria. According to
    our discoveries, you were required to pay for the following -

(1) Cashier's Check Conversion Fee ( Fee for converting the Wire Transfer payment
    into a Certified Cashier's Check )

The total amount for everything is $200.00 (Two Hundred-US Dollars). We have tried
    our possible best to indicate that this $200.00 should be deducted from your winning
    prize but we found out that the funds have already been converted to Cashier Check
    and cannot be accessed by anyone apart from you, the winner; therefore you will be
    required to pay the required fee's to the Agent in-charge of this transaction via
    Western Union Money Transfer Or Money Gram.

In order to proceed with this transaction, you will be required to contact the agent
    in-charge ( SAMUEL OLIVER ) via e-mail. Kindly look below to find appropriate
    contact information:

CONTACT AGENT NAME: SAMUEL OLIVER

E-MAIL ADDRESS: samagentoliver@aol.com

You will be required to e-mail him with the following information:

FULL NAME:
    ADDRESS:
    CITY:
    STATE:
    ZIP CODE:
    DIRECT CONTACT NUMBER:

You will also be required to request Western Union details on how to send the
    required $200.00 in order to immediately ship your prize of $800,000.00 USD via
    Certified Cashier's Check , also include the following transaction code in order for
    him to immediately identify this transaction : NA5533-974.

This letter will serve as proof that the Federal Bureau Of Investigation is
    authorizing you to pay the required $200.00 ONLY to Mr. Samuel Oliver via
    information in which he shall send to you, if you do not receive your winning prize
    of $800,000.00 we shall be held responsible for the loss and this shall invite a
    penalty of $3,000 which will be made PAYABLE ONLY to you (The Winner).

Please find below an authorized signature which has been signed by the FBI Director-
    Robert Mueller, also below is the FBI NSB (National Security

FBI Director
    Robert Mueller.

NSB Seal

Authorized
    Signature

NSB SEAL ABOVE

Xtreme Addict
    Lol...
    A diff variation on the same old scam.

A cousin of mine took the money and spent it instead of sending it back out .
    Police got involved I guess and he had to pay the money back for some reason.

I've never gotten one myself but I've heard of them, these types of scams have been around for along time.

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    lol I have to check my emails and see if I got this one. I dislike spam and scams, however, I like these better than the curse-mails you get from myspace, facebook, txt messages, email etc. ......>_< I hate it, when my friends send me letters that curses my mom to death, if I don't send the letter to my whole friends list.
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Addict
    LOL!!! Seriously? Who buys into this crap?

"Hey we found out that you won a lottery that you didn't participate in...let alone live in the country where it allegedly exists....."

Some folks must just think that they are THAT good that they can win the lottery without playing.... And what's more? The FBI is going to deliver your winnings!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    I get at least one a week.

Wish they were for real. If they were and I 'claimed' them all, I'd have about 10 billion by now.

The fact that people fall for these is just sad, but it happens.

But the FBI?? Do they honestly think it makes it more believable? If anything, it just makes it more obviously a scam.

Pathetic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You won a million dollars. But you gotta send us $100 to claim it. Yeah, it would seem like we could just take that from your winnings and just send it to you... but we can't. So pay us first, and we'll pay you.

That's how just about every scam I've seen works. Like the ones on CL where they want to pay you MORE than the value of your item, and you send the item with the extra money back to them. But it's a bad check / MO.
    Main - for now: Celeron @ 2500 MHz/1 GB DDR 400/Intel/40 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB
    eMac - OCing soon: PPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz/1.5 GB DDR/Radeon 9200/40 GB Leopard
    Win Web Server: 2x Opteron @ 2000 GHz/512 MB ECC DDR/3D Rage/ Needs fixin'
    Linux Web Server: Pentium III @ 1200 MHz256 MB PC133/Intel/40 GB Arch Linux

Xtreme Addict
    "We have successfully provide FBI Guarantee Letter in your package"

lol,riiiiiight...
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Xtreme Addict
    Even sader is the people who go on TV declaring they are intelligent but got suckered into these scams.

If somebody arrived at your front door and said the same thing you would probably laugh.

Xtreme Addict
    Well its like the old phone call scam.... "Hello, I'm from [insert bank] and we've noticed that there is a problem with your account. We're going to need your account credentials as well as your pin number."

Funny thing is, when my mother got that call, this guy was actually FROM the bank. It was an inside job, I remember hearing that conversation; and the one with the cops afterward.

That is the kind of scam some people will fall for.... I don't remember if he had any success, but they did catch him a few months later. It was a textbook case..... The banks always tell you that they will never contact you asking for this information, and yet people do this; and they even see some success.

Its like the other day, I installed a piece of software and suddenly I was getting pop-ups at certain sites. When I logged into my bank account, a pop-up with a funny address came up saying "We noticed that you haven't claimed your free credit score, sign up here." Then at the power company site, the same address, but some erroneous company called Health Essentials or something claiming that they were going to send me free samples of all sorts of products. Right.......... I uninstalled the software and then cleaned up after it and the pop-ups went away.

You've just gotta have some common sense. If the offer was real, you would be able to corroborate it in some way with an easy phone call or a bit of research. The scammers or schemers (the legal ones that don't ask for money or sensitive info) are counting on your impulses to get you to send money or sign up, respectively. I see it on the news all the time.....
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FBI@aol.com

Does aol still exist and if so why ?